James Elmer Benning will be on SN650 at 8:30am Today

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
But embarrassingly, they are better than the Canucks.

The beauty of RMB's post is that if you swap out "Arizona" for "Vancouver", the meaning still stands.

Well, you know, apart from the fact that RMB's trying to trot out the predicted failure of the Coyotes as some sort of defence of Benning.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm a fan of Ferland. If they move out the right players, I'd take him on a heartbeat at 5x5.

But apparently, the rumor was that if that's the contract he would have taken, then the Canes would have inked him by now.

I understand the injury risks, etc, but to me he's worth it in a vacuum.

I'll back out and agree to disagree. I'm usually not a fan of going after these middling level guys who command big moneyz, but I really like watching Ferland play.

But in a vacuum doesn’t exist. He’s gonna get injured and he’s going to break down we have seen it Many times with players of his ilk.

If you guaranteed me 80 games of ferland healthy and productive then that’s an meh contract. If you can’t guarantee it then it’s another eriksson contract coming up

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
context and fit is critical. picking up a complimentary player from a good team can be a disaster for a bad team with no fit for him. the half retool/half rebuild approach gave the coaching staff limited options with the high profile signings. when the expected chemistry with the sedins fizzled, erikkson had literally nobody to play his game with. vrbata season 1 vs season 2 is an even better example.

Yup, you are absolutely right. I think the opinion that I was commenting on is very skewed though because you don't get many consistently great players making it to UFA. Guys often make it to UFA only because their team views them as a guy who deserves a raise and is expendable in the grand scheme of things. In UFA they then get overpaid.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Benning is definitely going to push for #1

They offered up a package to try and draft local boy Sam Reinhart 1st overall in 2014. Deal included 6th overall, 24th overall and 1 of Edler/Tanev.

Now Benning has even more incentive to do it this year.

Holy crap! Can you imagine trading Ehlers + Pastrnak, and one of Edler/Tanev to acquire Reinhart? Madness.

But, on the other hand, Benning would have lacked the 24th pick to make it the cornerstone of the trade to acquire Gudbransson, so maybe it's not all bad.....

:sarcasm:

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They also fired Jay Feaster and John Wiesbrod in 2013 despite having drafted Monahan and Gaudreau. They brought in new management in 2014.

Weisbrod was hired after Gaudreau being drafted. He was heavily involved in one draft which I think was awful and the Button ran the next one and shortly after Weisbrod was fired.

Weisbrod inexplicably gets credit for stuff he didn’t do. Like Chiarelli did in a Boston.

That said. Your premise is correct.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
There is no way we get the 1st overall pick
This front office is not smart, but not dumb enough to give up some of the few bright spot they have.

Also, I think Byram is actually a bigger marketing tool than Jack Hughes.
He’s been getting the lower mainland community buzzling all season long

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Holy crap! Can you imagine trading Ehlers + Pastrnak, and one of Edler/Tanev to acquire Reinhart? Madness.

But, on the other hand, Benning would have lacked the 24th pick to make it the cornerstone of the trade to acquire Gudbransson, so maybe it's not all bad.....

Now think back to Benning trying to outbid LA's 2 1sts for Lucic. we'd be looking at 2015 1st (Boeser), 2016 1st (Thachuk) or if he was smart enough to protect the 2016 1st then the 2017 1st (Petterson). Imagine trading Boeser and Pettersson for 1 year of Lucic or worse 8 years of Lucic.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Now think back to Benning trying to outbid LA's 2 1sts for Lucic. we'd be looking at 2015 1st (Boeser), 2016 1st (Thachuk) or if he was smart enough to protect the 2016 1st then the 2017 1st (Petterson). Imagine trading Boeser and Pettersson for 1 year of Lucic or worse 8 years of Lucic.

So, if I've worked this out properly...

Out: Ehlers, Pastrnak, Edler/Tanev, Boeser, Pettersson (fine, maybe Juolevi.... but still)

In: Reinhart, Lucic

Egad.

It's like Benning is being saved by his own incompetence. Cue the music from the Twilight Zone.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yep. Look at Calgary this year. I’m not sure I’m ready to call them a true Cup contender because I see significant holes still (I question the bottom 6 some what and goaltending is inconsistent at best). Yet they have 4 point per game or more forwards, and a 5th that is a 50 point guy, then a handful of 30-40 point guys. Their 8th and 9th scoring forwards would be 4th on the Canucks.

On the back end they have point per game d-man and two guys in the 30-40 range.

That’s the depth you need to have to simply compete to win a weak division and be that reasonable contender. The Canucks are not near that IMO. They are missing two legit top line wingers, and a couple D. Plus organizational depth. Doesn’t sound like much but it is when you consider that what you talking about is half a core playing in their prime (or in the case of Giordano like he’s 10 years younger).
Bizarre too, how a lot of people (myself included) laughed at them for paying a kings ransom to acquire Hamonic...but thats obviously the rate of exchange for a top 4 d-man in his prime...The proof is in the pudding, and look where they are in the standings.

member 290103

Ferland is a decent 3rd line winger who has crept into 20 goal range by dragging down Gaudreau/Monagan and Aho/Teravainen for the last 2 years. Calgary has broken out offensively this year largely because they replaced him with an actual talented player.

In other words, sounds like a player Benning will be all over.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I’d say pay for top UFAs or the “money ball” bargain ones with good advanced stats, like when we signed Richardson and Santorelli for cheap.

I agree... Top ufas difficult to say no (if they want to come to this mess, more power to them). Moneyball 1 year contract players with the goal to flip at deadline for picks.*

* Assuming competent GM. Benning, do nothing. Just nothing. Don't even get out of bed.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Jim and UFAs are poison.

Provided he's not fired by then, I want Jim put in a straightjacket and locked in a basement without a phone from the draft until the pre-season. Or just left there, I'd be fine with that too.

Reactions: just22

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

:sarcasm:
There's no evidence that was ever offered. It was reported to be the 6th, the 24th and Shinkaruk.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
There's no evidence that was ever offered. It was reported to be the 6th, the 24th and Shinkaruk.
Actually the rumor was Garrison, Shinkaruk and the 6th pick.

Apparently Tampa offered Vasilevsky, Droiom (Sergachev) and their 1st (Anthony Deangelo) for the pick.

Man did the Bolts dodge a bullet, they actually got probably the best player in the draft in the 3rd round.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Actually the rumor was Garrison, Shinkaruk and the 6th pick.

Apparently Tampa offered Vasilevsky, Droiom (Sergachev) and their 1st (Anthony Deangelo) for the pick.

Man did the Bolts dodge a bullet, they actually got probably the best player in the draft in the 3rd round.
The rumour I mentioned was reported, but there must have been a mistake in the copyediting since as I read it now, the 24th pick and Shinkaruk are the same asset. It might have been a misstating of the package you mention, which does ring a bell.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Apparently they won't be going for any of the '12 million dollar contracts'. Aka, Karlsson/Panarin range.

So expect Myers, Gardiner, Ferland, etc

So I finally got the chance to listen to the interview in full and Benning says the exact OPPOSITE of what you’re saying here.

:shakehead:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
So I finally got the chance to listen to the interview in full and Benning says the exact OPPOSITE of what you’re saying here.

:shakehead:
He said he wasn't interested in the big money contracts. Aka the '12 million dollar contracts', which is what Karlsson at the very least will want.

So no, he doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad