James Elmer Benning will be on SN650 at 8:30am Today

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He said he wasn't interested in the big money contracts. Aka the '12 million dollar contracts', which is what Karlsson at the very least will want.

So no, he doesn't.

LMAO. Why don’t you go back listen to it again and then tell me I was right

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
LMAO. Why don’t you go back listen to it again and then tell me I was right
Nah. You're frankly not worth the time, mate.

"We are on the right path with our young players, Petey, Brock, Bo etc. Other young guys we are looking at. Excited about Josh Teves. Looking at players who can help support the young players, probably won't go for the 12 million dollar contract."

This is the quote I got from Canucks reddit. If it's wrong, please share how it's wrong.

Reactions: mstad101

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In the article the author, a fan/blogger, quotes Elliot Friedman as saying the offer was the 6th, Shinkaruk and a roster player. He then goes on to say the player is rumoured to be Tanev without any explanation or reference to who said it. Evidently even Friedman had never heard this. Even if the author simply read it on someone else's blog, he doesn't mention where. No reference to Tanev's inclusion seems to exist anywhere else online. As far as I can tell, no one anywhere in the media reported this, or even mentioned it was circulating as a rumour. Is this the only reference to it you can find?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think I found the source of the rumour. Friedman's article was posted on CDC, and people began hashing out whether it was a good value. 3 or 4 posts in someone said:

"roster player and shink
or
roster player and 6th
We shouldn't give up all 3, especially if the roster player is Tanev."

4 posts later, someone else says:

"Boy I'm mixed about this, get Reinhart for Shink and a roster player like Hansen or Burrows might persuade me but not for Tanev as well."

A few posts after that, someone else says:

"Tanev/Garrison, Shinkaruk, 6th for 1st
Kesler, 36th for any combination of Vatanen, Perrault, Etem/DSP/Rakell, 10th, and 26th"

... and that's how most of these things start. Tanev was never mentioned anywhere in the article. No one in the media ever claimed they'd heard from anyone involved he'd been part of the discussion.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Benning will forsure go after the number 1 overall pick even if we don’t get it through the lottery. Aqua man is probably begging him to get the Hughes brothers together for marketing. If we get a pick in the 5-7 range, what would we have to add?

If a team with a 1st line center already like Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton gets the top pick I think our 1st + Horvat or Boeser is as good as gone for the Hughes pick. Just hope we get the 1st or 2nd overall in the lottery so we can avoid a franchise crippling trade which it'll be if Hughes doesn't become a perennial 100 point player.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
If a team with a 1st line center already like Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton gets the top pick I think our 1st + Horvat or Boeser is as good as gone for the Hughes pick. Just hope we get the 1st or 2nd overall in the lottery so we can avoid a franchise crippling trade which it'll be if Hughes doesn't become a perennial 100 point player.
If Dim Jim and Daft John are stupid enough to attempt this trade, I say to the rival GM, take them to the cleaners. Hopefully it’ll be the end of this misery. If it means their end, I’m almost willing to have the Canucks bent over in trade.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wouldn't even use 'journalism' and Sportsnet in the same sentence. They're all part of the Rogers conglomerate. So really all you can expect are puffball questions and high lobs.

As we wake up this morning, the Arizona Coyotes are in a playoff spot.....and they've had far more serious injuries than the Canucks. Among other things, missing their starting goaltender and top scorers.

But one of the things they have that we don't have, is an NHL defense.....and one of the key pieces is Jacob Chychrun, drafted 11 spots after Oli Juolevi in 2016.

Well, their pro scouts can actually identify NHL defensemen. Demers, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, and Oesterle were brought in externally, playing meaningful minutes in the top four at times.

Jim "eye for talent" Benning and his staff has brought in such talents as Gudbranson, Sbisa, Pouliot, Larsen, MDZ, etc...

Reactions: Hit the post

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I’m still not fully understanding this idea of *not* going after Ferland, but to each their own. I don’t think his injuries are chronic, and he’s just had some bad luck this year. He still has 17 goals FYI.

At 26/27, I still think he’ll have atleast 5 good NHL seasons in him.

He's only ever had moderate scoring success when attached to other star calibre forwards (Gaudreau and Aho). He's the definition of a complementary player. You can find those guys for cheap. And with his play style and injury history, you're likely looking at a decline sooner rather than later. Not an investment I'd want to make.

What you call a "middle FA signing" could in fact be better than signing a star.

For example. If we sign Michael Ferland for $5 million isn't it conceivable that he'd be able to bring at least half the value of a Panarin who might get $10 million?

Panarin is a 80 point player. If Ferland scores 40 points and provides a physical edge and helps us win playoff games then that's just as good if not better than signing a Panarin if you look at it dollar for dollar.

No. Panarin is a true star calibre player, one who drives the play on his own in terms of offense and shot/chance shares. Ferland is not even close to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->