James Elmer Benning will be on SN650 at 8:30am Today

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
RMB
By extension, you have to be bad to fail I.E. finish at the bottom of the league year after year.

If you only look at the results without any regard for context you'll never be good at evaluating anything related to hockey.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Wins and losses occur in drafts all the time. There are plenty of examples of where we picked players that turned out to be better than those elected before our pick.

To your last point - who did the Yotes draft in 2018?........and Quinn Hughes was there for the picking?

While I agree with your general point, I think its far too early to judge whether the Coyotes erred by taking Hayton ahead of Hughes in last year's draft.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Benning is definitely going to push for #1

They offered up a package to try and draft local boy Sam Reinhart 1st overall in 2014. Deal included 6th overall, 24th overall and 1 of Edler/Tanev.

Now Benning has even more incentive to do it this year.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I'm impressed they keep trotting out the fact they are doing a good job when the on-ice product is reliably crap. Despite getting extremely lucky with EP40, Markstrom, and Boeser.

They've literally generated no material improvement in on-ice results.
Extremely lucky? Seriously?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s incomprehensible that we were chasing Subban in 2016, Stamkos in 2017, Tavares in 2018 when we were (theoretically) in the middle of a rebuild but now, at a point where we should be coming out of that rebuild, and have cap space to throw at the best high-end UFA group ever ... we’re now not interested in high-end UFAs.

Literally everything these morons do is backward.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Benning will forsure go after the number 1 overall pick even if we don’t get it through the lottery. Aqua man is probably begging him to get the Hughes brothers together for marketing. If we get a pick in the 5-7 range, what would we have to add?

That scares me somewhat as I don't think we have the pieces to do it unless we are holding the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What you call a "middle FA signing" could in fact be better than signing a star.

For example. If we sign Michael Ferland for $5 million isn't it conceivable that he'd be able to bring at least half the value of a Panarin who might get $10 million?

Panarin is a 80 point player. If Ferland scores 40 points and provides a physical edge and helps us win playoff games then that's just as good if not better than signing a Panarin if you look at it dollar for dollar.
Michael just seems like a Proto typical player that will probably bust for us, Low IQ winger who brings an edge.

If he pans out he would be a very useful asset, But I would rather lower the risk and getting a sure thing like Panarin, Who has all the potential to be an absolute superstar.

This is also a guy who just fought to protect his teammate, this is also a guy who had a really good playoffs and does it there also.

If you have a remote chance of getting him, you have to go balls out and try.

And I need to be clear, this is just because Jim and the ownership here want to fast forward all this, in my opinion I would probably just do f*** all for another few years, and get rid of some of our bad contracts.

But if we’re going to do it I’ll rather target the top two guys

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Benning will forsure go after the number 1 overall pick even if we don’t get it through the lottery. Aqua man is probably begging him to get the Hughes brothers together for marketing. If we get a pick in the 5-7 range, what would we have to add?
Honestly, If we’re picking in the seven spot, I see a team asking for a guy like Brock

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Burke I think had to give up McCabe. I think he ONCE was 4th in Norris voting in addition to our pick

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It’s incomprehensible that we were chasing Subban in 2016, Stamkos in 2017, Tavares in 2018 when we were (theoretically) in the middle of a rebuild but now, at a point where we should be coming out of that rebuild, and have cap space to throw at the best high-end UFA group ever ... we’re now not interested in high-end UFAs.

Literally everything these morons do is backward.

I’m not sure if this is management’s line of thinking, but here is my guess:

Back in 2016 - the Canucks literally had no future core’ pieces outside of Horvat. Period. They needed a guaranteed future core piece in the worst way possible even if said players’ AAV was sky high.

2017 and 2018: The Canucks had Horvat, Boeser, and a few longshot hopefuls, but the future core of this team (and more specifically, the Center Ice position) was still very much up in air and had a lot of questions. Pettersson had talent through the wazoo, but how long would it take for him to transition to the NHL? Would he be a Superstar? Would he be able to play Center? Who was going to replace Henrik?

2019: The future Canucks core seems to be set. Pettersson is a worthy heir apparent to Hank. Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette will give the Canucks great depth down the middle, while 2/3 of Markstrom, Demko, and DiPietro will solidify the teams’ goaltending position. Hutton and Stecher emerged, while Hughes looks like he’ll be a top 4 dman.

2016-2018 emphasis: desperately acquire future core pieces even if you have to pay them at a premium. Future core is up in air.

2019 emphasis: Future core = set. No need to pay a premium price for future core pieces via UFA. Try and sign core to cap friendly contracts. Bring in complementary pieces to increase depth while also keeping overall AAV’s low. ‘Placeholder’ contracts (ie Sutter, etc.,) will all be off the books by the time the RFA core players (Pettersson, Hughes, etc.) need to be reupped.

That would be my interpretation of Benning’s thought process but perhaps I’m wrong.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m not sure if this is management’s line of thinking, but here is my guess:

Back in 2016 - the Canucks literally had no future core’ pieces outside of Horvat. Period. They needed a future core piece in the worst way possible even if said players’ AAV was sky high.

2017 and 2018: The Canucks had Horvat, Boeser, and a few longshot hopefuls, but the future core of this team (and more specifically, the Center Ice position) was still up in air and had a lot of questions. Pettersson had talent through the wazoo, but how long would it take for him to transition to the NHL? Would he be a Superstar? Would he be able to play Center?

2019: The future Canucks core seems to be set. Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette will give the Canucks great depth down the middle, while 2/3 of Markstrom, Demko, and DiPietro will solidify the teams’ goaltending position. Hutton and Stecher emerged, while Hughes looks like he’ll be a top 4 dman.

2016-2018 emphasis: desperately acquire future core pieces even if you have to pay them at a premium. Future core is up in air.

2019 emphasis: Future core = set. No need to pay a premium price for future core pieces via UFA. Try and sign core to cap friendly contracts. Bring in complementary pieces to increase depth.

That would be my interpretation of Benning’s thought process but perhaps I’m wrong.

If they think they’ll ever win a Cup with that core, they’re even stupider than I thought. 3 good forwards (one who will be a defensive 2nd liner long term and another who looks like a new Jordan Eberle), 1 young defender of any real quality, and some goaltending depth. Huzzah.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If they think they’ll ever win a Cup with that core, they’re even stupider than I thought. 3 good forwards (one who will be a defensive 2nd liner long term and another who looks like a new Jordan Eberle), 1 young defender of any real quality, and some goaltending depth. Huzzah.

We’ll likely get another good solid piece in this years’ draft.

Also - there are plenty of good players available outside of Panarin and Karlsson (that won’t cost 10.5+ million). Duchene, Dzingel (a guy that you and I both like btw), just to name a few.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think Gardiner is getting criminally under rated here.

Lebrun was on radio yesterday saying that the leafs forward are on record saying they miss his talent a ton because he is an elite puck mover .

I wouldnt mind at all depending on salary, if we signed him to be in our top 4. Trade Hutton

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think Gardiner is getting criminally under rated here.

Lebrun was on radio yesterday saying that the leafs forward are on record saying they miss his talent a ton because he is an elite puck mover .

I wouldnt mind at all depending on salary, if we signed him to be in our top 4. Trade Hutton

Even if he's underrated here, I guarantee he's not underrated around the league. I'd be surprised if he isn't the second highest paid FA defenseman after Karlsson.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Even if he's underrated here, I guarantee he's not underrated around the league. I'd be surprised if he isn't the second highest paid FA defenseman after Karlsson.

I agree .. but the fact that our fanbase mocks at the idea of signing him as if we have a supreme Dcore is hilarious.

Gardiner is a difference maker.

Recent back injury would make me hesitate on a long contract tho

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
There is no way, imo, Benning is going to go into Ufa season without wasting a large chunk of his available money. We are still on the scripted part of the season where the focus is on youth and the draft. By the time Ufa comes around, money will be spent.

You can set your watch based on what he will say and do... and what he says and does is seldom consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad