James Elmer Benning will be on SN650 at 8:30am Today

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Arizon has a value village budget. Imagine the quality of jockstraps in your collection if you were only allowed to spent a fraction that Aquaman has allowed Elmer. It's the difference between getting a Troy Gamble one and a Kirk MacLean one.

:lol:

You make a good point good sir. :cool: p.s.

Still - Are we really praising Arizona here? Have they made the playoffs since 2012? Before 2012, how many playoff rounds had they won? How many playoff rounds have they won since like 1997?

I know my point is neither here nor there, but I just don't put a whole lot of stock into teams like Arizona, Calgary, Toronto, Winnipeg, etc., that have been pure unadulterated garbage for the better part of 15 years. These guys SHOULD be way ahead of Vancouver in their stage of the development!

Rebuilds are difficult, and I do believe Vancouver is on the right path. Stay the course, keep working hard, yada yada (almost 1:00 am here and I'm starting to fade, lol).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ferland is barely able to play full hockey games right now. He is brittle and ridiculously injury prone.

To be honest, I was unaware of this (he's played 58 of the 69 games so far, and has played over 70 games in each of the 3 seasons before that?).

If that's the case, then yeah.............leave him. I'm just not seeing much of an example of it, if nhl.com is of any indication. He seems to be good for 15-20 goals each year.

Did Benning say anything about Duchene?

Duchene has had extensive experience on LW has he not?

Duchene is fast, high skilled, and highly intelligent. He'd be great alongside Pettersson.

With Duchey here, you could move Pearson down to a more appropriate 2nd or 3rd line role.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
To be honest, I was unaware of this.

If that's the case, then yeah.............leave him.

Did Benning say anything about Duchene?

Duchene has had extensive experience on LW has he not?

Duchene is fast, high skilled, and highly intelligent. He'd be great alongside Pettersson.

With Duchey here, you could move Pearson down to a more appropriate 2nd or 3rd line role.

If Duchene comes here, I don't think he'll be happy if that's his new nickname.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Benning 5 : I know he is not happy (Loui Eriksson) with his goal production but, he has been extremely useful for us and helped a ton with our younger guys. He is one of our better penalty killers and a guy Travis trusts.
6 replies0 retweets2 likes
Reply 6

Retweet

Like 2
So a 6 plus mill a year penalty killer is what we have...that was a brilliant signing.Looking forward to more of these types of signing Jimbo.There is a reason why ur ass should be fired.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
To be honest, I was unaware of this (he's played 58 of the 69 games so far, and has played over 70 games in each of the 3 seasons before that?).

If that's the case, then yeah.............leave him. I'm just not seeing much of an example of it, if nhl.com is of any indication. He seems to be good for 15-20 goals each year..

Look at the ice time in the 58 games. Keeps coming back from injuries only to see ice time tumble (3 min last week) and eventually forced to sit out DTD. He keeps giving it a go as it's contract year...but his body cannot heal.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I haven’t been a huge Benning hater, but if he still hasn’t learned about paying a ton of money for the middle-of-the-range players then I’m all for the #firebenning movement. At the moment he’s done some damage to the team but also done some good, but if he signs Myers/Ferland/Gardiner then his moves are starting to kill the franchise for a long time. You either pay for elite talent or you draft and develop.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm impressed they keep trotting out the fact they are doing a good job when the on-ice product is reliably crap. Despite getting extremely lucky with EP40, Markstrom, and Boeser.

They've literally generated no material improvement in on-ice results.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Arizona is headed nowhere. Their roster isn’t good enough to win a round and their prospects coming up won’t even be enough to replace their declining veterans aka Stepan, OEL, etc

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Look at the ice time in the 58 games. Keeps coming back from injuries only to see ice time tumble (3 min last week) and eventually forced to sit out DTD. He keeps giving it a go as it's contract year...but his body cannot heal.

Cool. In that case, might be better to pass (although the flip side argument is that maybe you can ‘buy low’ on him and sign him to a good long term deal). Was he just struggling with injuries this year, or was he playing with reduced ice time as well last year?

At 26/27, I doubt that Ferland’s body is starting to breaking down. Maybe I’m wrong here? He should be a decent hockey play for atleast 5 more years. But again - I don’t know his body.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I'm impressed they keep trotting out the fact they are doing a good job when the on-ice product is reliably crap. Despite getting extremely lucky with EP40, Markstrom, and Boeser.

You need to be good to be lucky

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Improvement isn’t always a linear process.

Example? Calgary. These guys struggled after 2009 and transitioned to a new core. While they never completely bottomed out (to my recollection), they were in the bottom 3rd of the league for most of that time. They made the playoffs in 2015 (as we know) and in 2017, but nothing really came of it.

Finally - this year.........kaboom went the dynamite. They kept assembling young pieces, surrounded said pieces with good vets, and made an astute trade. That’s a really good team they got over there.....and I hate to admit this.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Star signings or nothing
Middle fa signings again would be a disaster

Absolutely 100% agree. Middle FA signings are how we get stuck with absolute trash like Gagner, MDZ, Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller, etc. Every single team who misses out on the big UFAs gets antsy and starts overpaying like crazy for marginal players, and it saddles the team with wasted cap space for years.

I'm actually terrified Benning is going to do something colossally stupid like sign Ferland for 7x7 cause he's a physical player. That move would actually skewer our chance of competing for the entire Pettersson era.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I get a weird feeling jim is gonna do everything to get 1st overall pick and unite the hughes brothers

Moving up in the draft is always tough. I think Jim will definitely inquire, but it’s going to cost an arm and a leg.

I actually get the feeling that if [team] has #1 overall while Vancouver gets #2, it might be easier to just let said team draft Jack and then trade Quinn to said team for a king’s randsome.

For example - if Colorado drafts Jack at the one spot, maybe we can trade them Quinn for Cale Makar.....and then draft Kakko.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Improvement isn’t always a linear process.

Example? Calgary. These guys struggled after 2009 and transitioned to a new core. While they never completely bottomed out (to my recollection), they were in the bottom 3rd of the league for most of that time. They made the playoffs in 2015 (as we know) and in 2017, but nothing really came of it.

Finally - this year.........kaboom went the dynamite. They kept assembling young pieces, surrounded said pieces with good vets, and made an astute trade. That’s a really good team they got over there.....and I hate to admit this.

Calgary stunk enough to pick Sean Monahan at #6 overall, Sam Bennett at #4 overall, and Tkachuk at #6 overall. If that's not bottoming out then it's pretty darn close.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m still not fully understanding this idea of *not* going after Ferland, but to each their own. I don’t think his injuries are chronic, and he’s just had some bad luck this year. He still has 17 goals FYI.

At 26/27, I still think he’ll have atleast 5 good NHL seasons in him.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
RMB
By extension, you have to be bad to fail I.E. finish at the bottom of the league year after year.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Star signings or nothing
Middle fa signings again would be a disaster

What you call a "middle FA signing" could in fact be better than signing a star.

For example. If we sign Michael Ferland for $5 million isn't it conceivable that he'd be able to bring at least half the value of a Panarin who might get $10 million?

Panarin is a 80 point player. If Ferland scores 40 points and provides a physical edge and helps us win playoff games then that's just as good if not better than signing a Panarin if you look at it dollar for dollar.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Calgary stunk enough to pick Sean Monahan at #6 overall, Sam Bennett at #4 overall, and Tkachuk at #6 overall. If that's not bottoming out then it's pretty darn close.

Fair enough.

I don’t recall them ever being dead last though.

Point remains though - Flames hung tough, had some peaks and valleys while slowly tending upwards, and then exploded this year. If they can do that, then I see no reason why we can’t either.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What you call a "middle FA signing" could in fact be better than signing a star.

For example. If we sign Michael Ferland for $5 million isn't it conceivable that he'd be able to bring at least half the value of a Panarin who might get $10 million?

Panarin is a 80 point player. If Ferland scores 40 points and provides a physical edge and helps us win playoff games then that's just as good if not better than signing a Panarin if you look at it dollar for dollar.

:clap:

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad