Player Discussion William Nylander

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
migraines are no laughing matter.
Trust me….I went decades with them being so bad that I couldn’t get out of bed or have any lights on.

And it’s dumb ….yes dumb to think he would of played if he had to play for a contract

Maybe the last few weeks of season he tried to tough it out.

In all honesty …it drains you physically and mentally

If someone hasn’t experienced these types of migraines they have no clue

It’s like years ago about depression…can’t see it …must not exist

My parents had the same view…till my son committed suicide ….

I wish people were not so easy to place judgement

I used to have them so bad I would vomit. I'm guessing you had the same type as me where you get the halo in your vision first and then it sets in. It was horrible. I still get one about every 5 years now and they're very mild but I still get the halo warning that it's coming which is worse than the headache itself, I assume because of being conditioned to know what's coming.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Not all players are eligible for Performance Bonuses, and to receive a bonus within their contract, a player must meet one of the following criteria:
The player is on an entry-level contract.
The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Oh the performance bonus he’s not eligible for you mean.
which is why I said possible, given i prefaced my comments with "guess" you'd think you'd pick up on it.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Trust me….I went decades with them being so bad that I couldn’t get out of bed or have any lights on.

And it’s dumb ….yes dumb to think he would of played if he had to play for a contract

I’m so sorry to hear that, Da Mash, I can’t begin to understand the pain you have gone through! You have my deepest condolences!

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I hope this sport, this hobby, this team, provides a distraction for you. That pain must be unimaginable. You have both my sympathies and my respect.

Reactions: Da Mash

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Same.

However, speculating that he has a debilitating migraine is no different than speculating he doesn't want to play through a minor injury or illness.
There is nothing in his history to suggest that he won't play through a minor injury. He has missed virtually no games in his career. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. I hope he comes back on Saturday and lights the place up.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That's why the optics look horrible though.

This is what we know:

• Nylander has never missed a playoff game in his 8 year career
  • Nylander has secured the most expensive contract in Leafs history
  • Nylander has played every single regular season game this season without missing a shift
  • 2 days after the regular season ended, Nylander became a game-time decision
  • Nylander has been a game-time decision for a week straight

Healthy player, played all 82 games, secured his retirement contract and now isn't healthy enough for the playoffs.

I don't disagree that he's not 100% - but neither was Matthew Tkachuk when he played with a broken sternum and the 4 Florida players who played with broken bones throughout the playoffs.

The optics don't look good for Nylander and I can't blame the fans for being negative based on what we do know.

Well that depends. If it's a concussion type of injury then it doesn't matter what other players have played through

I have no doubt he's injured. I will even argue that his injury is more serious than the Leafs showing

He may very well have whiplash or concussion type symptoms

Nylander's absence doesn't worry me. Samsonov's play at this stage should be the biggest concern

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Same.

However, speculating that he has a debilitating migraine is no different than speculating he doesn't want to play through a minor injury or illness.
The fact he wasn't even in the press box for one or 2 of the games should be indicative enough that it's not a sore back or an injury that is muscular in nature. I would tend to believe the guys on here that have had the unfortunate experiences with migraines over what the media is throwing against the wall. The kid never misses games...so if he is...it must be very, very bad for him to be out.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Same.

But there is a BIG difference here....

One of those things isn't speculative, it's been reported by the media to be potentially the case based on some team sources.

The idea he just doesn't want to play isn't substantiated by any reporting or team sources, it's just been made up so far as a guess as to be the case.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
But there is a BIG difference here....

One of those things isn't speculative, it's been reported by the media to be potentially the case based on some team sources.

The idea he just doesn't want to play isn't substantiated by any reporting or team sources, it's just been made up so far as a guess as to be the case.
Exactly. I was going to say the samething. It’s a massive difference.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Actually kinda amazing that we would be up 2-1 in this series if we had even a league minimum avg PP, without Nylander.

Special teams absolutely killing us time and time again. The strategy? Rollout the same players, same configuration, same zone entry, same results. It's been months of futility now, give me a f***ing break and at least TRY to do something different.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Well that depends. If it's a concussion type of injury then it doesn't matter what other players have played through

I have no doubt he's injured. I will even argue that his injury is more serious than the Leafs showing

He may very well have whiplash or concussion type symptoms

Nylander's absence doesn't worry me. Samsonov's play at this stage should be the biggest concern
They would be able to overcome Samsonov if their special teams wasn't so pathetic.

Reactions: fahad203

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
There is really no reason to think Willy (or anyone) is scared to step on the ice against Boston. He's faced them numerous times in both "seasons" and has never shown a propensity to wimp out; miss a game. An argument can be made that he avoids certain areas (although I'm not even sure of that), but he always shown up somewhat for playoff games. This isn't directed at anyone in particular but just addressing the narrative that Willy is playing hooky and not hockey.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
new-heat-map.png

So the other team is letting him just score all his goals 2 feet from the net and no one is bothering to hit him or get sticks up on him while he does this

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The way Hyman was used in Toronto, obviously Hyman because his job was to pin the puck on the boards and absorb hits until someone came to dig it out of the scrum. He’s been healthy in Edmonton because he’s getting used like a normal forward now instead of a human crash test dummy.

Hyman should have been sat when he tore his ACL, he was a big part of the reason we lost. A generic 4th line tweener chosen at random could do better than 20% on faceoffs and blocking shots, he provided negative value when he was injured. Good for him for toughing it out, bad on Babcock for being stupid enough to ask him to.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
If Nylander was unsigned still does anyone think he'd be sitting?

That's both good and bad...

Good because he doesn't need to put his body/health and his future at risk because he has that contract and he is 'set'.

Bad because he doesn't need to put his body/health and his future at risk because he has that contract and he is 'set'.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
P Forsberg played with a punctured spleen. And who cares. Maby not all players want to brag about playing with injuries like children seeking for attention. Playing with broken bones spleen etc is stupid. But if the medical team think it is ok, it cant be that bad(nowdays). The medical team dont seem ok with it this time. A lot of money is a stake if they make the wrong decision.

And you have to break a bone to play throught it. But sadly Nylander cant even do that right... Break a bone Nylander and play through it so we can see that u want this enough!
Does that seem stupid enough for u?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
No, but it's pretty clear.

He has been suffering from severe migraines. They have been doing concussion tests, and can't find a conclusive reason.

We just saw this play out with Patrick Nolan where he eventually had to retire from it.

Plauers in protocol skate for weeks, sometimes months before they can play. Go back and follow Crosby's comeback, Lindros' road back, etc.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Actually kinda amazing that we would be up 2-1 in this series if we had even a league minimum avg PP, without Nylander.

Special teams absolutely killing us time and time again. The strategy? Rollout the same players, same configuration, same zone entry, same results. It's been months of futility now, give me a f***ing break and at least TRY to do something different.
They need to fire whoever is in charge of the special teams……I mean like right now, like today

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I am not comparing. He has not being diagnosed with a concussion, but it hasn't been ruled out.

They don't know what it the root cause so they have him test it everyday,, go over the symptoms and then make a decision.

Pretty cut and dry

They need to fire whoever is in charge of the special teams……I mean like right now, like today
Lol.

Yesterday would also have been a correct answer

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
If it's really some head-related issue I'm sure most fans would be sympathetic and all the baseless speculation would quiet down. And it's not like you'd be tipping the Bruins off on much. He would still be day-to-day and a game time decision.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad