Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Aren’t teams allowed to go over the cap in the offseason by a certain %?

Makes no sense. Also gives me more reason to dislike the timing of the Miller deal.

Sure but then you are the team getting f***ed giving up DeBrusk for a 2nd or some shit when the teams with cap have you over a barrel. You really want to clear the space beforehand.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I happy with this signing would far prefer the Zboril money ,to the Miller money . Still think Zboril can be a quality NHL D-man. Part of the Bruin future. Miller what waste of cap space
Miller is ok. He comes in. Skates well. Destroys ppl. Then gets injured. Gets put on ir. Salary cap space is created. Rinse repeat.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I happy with this signing would far prefer the Zboril money ,to the Miller money . Still think Zboril can be a quality NHL D-man. Part of the Bruin future. Miller what waste of cap space

They need K.Miller, especially if they lose Chara. You need a tough veteran on d, even if he's 3rd pairing. You need someone back there that gives the kids a safety blanket. If Chara bails or retires you need some kinda vet. Can't go with 6 kids... even if they eventually take that spot.

Reactions: HumBucker and Serge

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
How f***ing awesome would it be if he showed some chemistry with McAvoy and could handle the minutes? Yeah, I'm dreaming a bit, but how great would that be?

I want to see Lauzon take the next step as well and grab that 2nd pairing spot next to Carlo.

Grz/Clifton/Miller as the guys rotating in and out on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: bme44

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
They need K.Miller, especially if they lose Chara. You need a tough veteran on d, even if he's 3rd pairing. You need someone back there that gives the kids a safety blanket. If Chara bails or retires you need some kinda vet. Can't go with 6 kids... even if they eventually take that spot.
The only explanation I can think of for signing Miller is Chara not returning therefore I understand what you are saying . I think management was very short sighted if they think Miller is the best option at a cap hit of $1.25 mil in a flat cap season .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I havent seen him play a lot... but im a huge fan how they handled this guys development

at age 23 niklas kromwell had played just 47 games spread over 2 seasons bouncing back and forth to the ahl.

torey krug was 22 with just 3 games under his belt

brendon Dillon had only 49 games by 23

johnny boychuk was 25 with just 5 games

23 is just far too early to write any dman off as a bust... provided they have been learning to compensate for their weakness while in the lower leagues. we know these high draft picks all have the tools to succeed if they can get their act together

the question then is... can they get their act together... can they learn to avoid mistakes? will they learn how to apply themselves with a consistent effort?

I have heard NOTHING about zboril being uncoachable or a bad guy off the ice... by all accounts he has been doing his job at providence and turning himself into an nhl style pro

a 2 year 1 way contract is quite a committment... like others here in the thread I think it indicates he will get a job to lose at training camp. a 1-way contract makes him less desirable to claim on waivers in the event he does need to be sent down.

good contract... Sweeney is really making all the right moves this year {assuming that oel/hall were never realistic options}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The only explanation I can think of for signing Miller is Chara not returning therefore I understand what you are saying . I think management was very short sighted if they think Miller is the best option at a cap hit of $1.25 mil in a flat cap season .

what if miller goes on waivers? is that possible?

dude hasnt been healthy in forever... but he is a very character locker room guy... put him on waivers... the big contract scares away other teams that might claim him... he clears... we get him to providence... it costs us around 200k cap room, which we can easily afford

then... he has his chance to prove hes healthy

if he fails... its only 200k... we can afford it...

if he succeeds.. we got a stud waiting for us as a free upgrade at trade deadline time when the rosters increase

this move shows tons of loyalty/trust between the bruins and one of their warrior players. its a bit of a thank you to a guy who went through hell for the team. other vets will respect this. it looks good on the franchise. its like san jose now doing a person favor to marleau… it does show up in how people think about an organization

for years Detroit got one sweet heart deal after another from vets... because Detroit had a reputation for treating its players better than anyone else. for end-of-the-road vets, this can be more important than getting every penny that is out there

im glad the team is showing us its first class

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
How f***ing awesome would it be if he showed some chemistry with McAvoy and could handle the minutes? Yeah, I'm dreaming a bit, but how great would that be?

I want to see Lauzon take the next step as well and grab that 2nd pairing spot next to Carlo.

It would be great, but also probably means losing a good D during expansion.

I mean we are losing someone regardless. But hurts more if they are playing better.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
what if miller goes on waivers? is that possible?

dude hasnt been healthy in forever... but he is a very character locker room guy... put him on waivers... the big contract scares away other teams that might claim him... he clears... we get him to providence... it costs us around 200k cap room, which we can easily afford

then... he has his chance to prove hes healthy

if he fails... its only 200k... we can afford it...

if he succeeds.. we got a stud waiting for us as a free upgrade at trade deadline time when the rosters increase

this move shows tons of loyalty/trust between the bruins and one of their warrior players. its a bit of a thank you to a guy who went through hell for the team. other vets will respect this. it looks good on the franchise. its like san jose now doing a person favor to marleau… it does show up in how people think about an organization

for years Detroit got one sweet heart deal after another from vets... because Detroit had a reputation for treating its players better than anyone else. for end-of-the-road vets, this can be more important than getting every penny that is out there

im glad the team is showing us its first class

I so hope,everything you write is correct. I sure hope he is on waivers to start the season

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

With Zboril, safe to say his ceiling is Bogosian second/third pairing?. Some flashes of top pairing offensive moves plus physicality. But I'm expectating a few adventures/risks here and there also

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Defensemen take longer to arrive and shouldn't be written off. But at the same time Zboril got passed in development by McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Clifton, Lauzon, and even Vaak to an extent since his draft day. So not going to say Zboril's a bust, but also not going to act like he's going to end up as a top flight guy who's a late bloomer either.

Reactions: FinnBear

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Ain't saying it's great but I can at least understand the thought process as it's tough to go with 6 yutes if Chara goes. You simply need someone. Not any of our first choice for a veteran presence/toughness on the back-end (I like Miller but it's been awhile) but they need someone. 1.25 is nothing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree

Clifton played better than Lauzon in the playoffs. His impact on the ice was noticeable. From his hitting and offensive production/effort. Ability to retrieve and skate up the ice with the puck.

Clifton is the more confident player right now, he's always had that confidence/swagger, and having the confidence to play at a certain level of hockey is 2/3rd of the battle IMO. Also had more playoff experience than Lauzon.

I do think Lauzon has the higher ceiling in terms of where he can play. I can see him getting some time this year with both McAvoy and Carlo. Lauzon doesn't strike me as a guy who is scared of it either, he stepped in last year and was pretty steady for a rookie.

Reactions: rocketdan9

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Defensemen take longer to arrive and shouldn't be written off. But at the same time Zboril got passed in development by McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Clifton, Lauzon, and even Vaak to an extent since his draft day. So not going to say Zboril's a bust, but also not going to act like he's going to end up as a top flight guy who's a late bloomer either.

McAvoy, Carlo and Clifton are all RHD so its tough to compare Zboril to them

That leaves Grz, Lauzon and Vaak.

Grz was 24yr old when he broke the roster full-time in 2016-2017. Zboril had just finished his junior career and was a 21yr old first year pro in the AHL. I'd say Grz was further developed by this and its tough to say he passed Zboril in development considering Grz was already further in his development.

SO that leaves us with Lauzon and Vaak.

Lauzon has seen more NHL action, but he also is a LHD that can play the right side, which gave him an inside track to getting more NHL time.

Vaak has seen a handful more games than Zboril has in the NHL, but IDK that I'd say he's surpassed him development wise either. From what I've read it sounds like Zboril had the better year this past year in the AHL.

Reactions: HustleB

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Zboril has had pretty solid numbers his 3 years in providence. Scored at a 25pt pace and was a +35 total.

Zboril-Miller could be a solid third pair

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I just want his game to fit with McAvoy. He may not have the top end skill of a true 1st pairing guy, but if he can handle the minutes and assignments, help McAvoy transition on attack... that would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad