Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really like this. The D will be interesting this year. Given that Zboril can play the right side (as a left shot) I don't quite get why we brought Kevan Miller back. We should be moving forward with Clifton/Zboril, with Kevan signed to a PTO or 2 way deal.

Part of me suspects this means Zdeno is not returning. I don't think Donnie will go higher than maybe $1.5m for Chara, and some team will offer him $3million. If he leaves, it won't be the money, but the respect.

Clearly now Zboril will be on this team next year. As has been stated, he doesn't get that contract if he wasn't part of the plan.

As for Chara, fact is this team has 8 D-men that will need waivers (I'm excluding Kampfer from this discussion). I think they like both Lauzon and Clifton and both are also on great contracts. Expansion draft aside, they have all 3 of Lauzon/Clifton/Zboril signed for a combined 2.575 million for the next two years. That may end up being massive value, we shall see.

Until we see a D-man moved out, I don't see them signing Chara. It would be interesting to know how hard they have tried to move out John Moore (if at all). Friedman says they couldn't sign Hall without clearing cap and Hall didn't want to wait even though he was amicable to signing with the Bruins. What cap were they trying to move? I can only see Moore as the guy headed out. Which tells me moving him out ain't that easy.

Reactions: TwineTickler

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yes with McAvoy out yes

If no Chara

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lauzon -Carlo
Moore -Clifton
Zboril

Chara wont be brought back. Just a hunch. Once Miller was resigned 1st...

Bruins usually settled on a deal (next season) before current season ended. But didnt happen this time

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Clearly now Zboril will be on this team next year. As has been stated, he doesn't get that contract if he wasn't part of the plan.

As for Chara, fact is this team has 8 D-men that will need waivers (I'm excluding Kampfer from this discussion). I think they like both Lauzon and Clifton and both are also on great contracts. Expansion draft aside, they have all 3 of Lauzon/Clifton/Zboril signed for a combined 2.575 million for the next two years. That may end up being massive value, we shall see.

Until we see a D-man moved out, I don't see them signing Chara. It would be interesting to know how hard they have tried to move out John Moore (if at all). Friedman says they couldn't sign Hall without clearing cap and Hall didn't want to wait even though he was amicable to signing with the Bruins. What cap were they trying to move? I can only see Moore as the guy headed out. Which tells me moving him out ain't that easy.
Aren’t teams allowed to go over the cap in the offseason by a certain %?

Makes no sense. Also gives me more reason to dislike the timing of the Miller deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Aren’t teams allowed to go over the cap in the offseason by a certain %?

Makes no sense. Also gives me more reason to dislike the timing of the Miller deal.

That's what I thought too, which made Friedman's comment perplexing. I think it's 10% they can go over. And until they sign Debrusk/Gryz, they aren't even close.

The more I thought about what I think happened with Hall was the Bruins were only interested in a 3-year deal, as they wanted to back-load the contract to keep the real dollars that are going out the door in 2020-21 while revenues will be down as low as possible, so say instead of 8-8-8 it would more like 4-8-12. (Smith's is basically 2-3-4). On a 1-year deal, you can't backload obviously. Even say 2-years would be like 4 then 12, but who says revenues are back to normal by 2021-22? No guarantees. Would explain why we only heard about a 3-year deal offer. This cap space excuse from Friedman seems suspect.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
That's what I thought too, which made Friedman's comment perplexing. I think it's 10% they can go over. And until they sign Debrusk/Gryz, they aren't even close.

The more I thought about what I think happened with Hall was the Bruins were only interested in a 3-year deal, as they wanted to back-load the contract to keep the real dollars that are going out the door in 2020-21 while revenues will be down as low as possible, so say instead of 8-8-8 it would more like 4-8-12. (Smith's is basically 2-3-4). On a 1-year deal, you can't backload obviously. Even say 2-years would be like 4 then 12, but who says revenues are back to normal by 2021-22? No guarantees. Would explain why we only heard about a 3-year deal offer. This cap space excuse from Friedman seems suspect.

Good analysis. I guess you also cant blame Hall for signing a 1 year deal... hoping for a bigger payday after next season

He missed out on that Devils offer last season (hindsight)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good analysis. I guess you also cant blame Hall for signing a 1 year deal... hoping for a bigger payday after next season

He missed out on that Devils offer last season (hindsight)

Definitely. In Hall's defense, there are quite a few players who are kicking themselves for not signing some of the extensions offered to them pre-pandemic.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Lauzon can play the opposite side. I think Zboril and Lauzon as a bottom pairing will be good. Time to get the next core going before these guys are 26 and our stars are 37 and 46. We do not want to end up like the Wings. Both guys can play mean, have size and can skate. Miller could be LTIR and the vet presence in Providence.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Went to a couple of games before pandemic hit - first week of March they played Springfield and had Studnicka, Senyshyn etc...they had won like 10 in a row maybe more and beat the Falcons or whatever they call them

Zboril really stood out - man among boys best he ever looked

Team was first in entire AHL and was was arguably best player

I’ll be the contrarian on HF and hope he makes it

I'd hope we all want him to make it. A modern Bruin in play style. Physical, steady. There was a reason he was ranked and drafted where he was. Wasn't Boychuk a mid to late 20s rookie?

Defense is hard, I expect wingers to be NHL ready first but centers, goalies, and defense are difficult positions to develop.

Reactions: TwineTickler

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
5 yrs after drafted going to give him a shot cause to many holes to fix now with cap wasted.They better get top 6 help then.No excuse now

Last edited:

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I've had a soft spot for Zboril ever since I saw him dominate a game in the Q when he played for the Sea Dogs the year after he was drafted. He has all the tools, just needs to avoid the mental mistakes and perform consistently. I'm glad it looks like he's getting a chance this year, hopefully he runs with it.

I saw Fluto cap his potential as a bottom pair NHL defenseman but I think that's selling him short. He's probably got the best all around physical skills of any defenseman in the organization outside of McAvoy. If he can figure out the mental side there's no reason he can't top out as a top four guy.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'd hope we all want him to make it. A modern Bruin in play style. Physical, steady. There was a reason he was ranked and drafted where he was. Wasn't Boychuk a mid to late 20s rookie?

Defense is hard, I expect wingers to be NHL ready first but centers, goalies, and defense are difficult positions to develop.

It should not take a guy drafted 13th overall 5 yrs to get there
This reeks of Sweeeney trying to save face and not enough cash to fix it right with holes in forward lines still in need of fixing.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
If I remember correctly, wasn't it Zboril that had a reputation for going for the big hit too much, frequently putting himself out of position.....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really like this. The D will be interesting this year. Given that Zboril can play the right side (as a left shot) I don't quite get why we brought Kevan Miller back. We should be moving forward with Clifton/Zboril, with Kevan signed to a PTO or 2 way deal.

Part of me suspects this means Zdeno is not returning. I don't think Donnie will go higher than maybe $1.5m for Chara, and some team will offer him $3million. If he leaves, it won't be the money, but the respect.

I don’t think Clifton is in your top 6 ideally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad