Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From Hockey Prospects - DobberProspects

Observations
:
February 2018 – Zboril has seemingly adjusted smoothly to the pro game. In 51 games this season he has 11 points for the Bruins affiliate in Providence. He did have a slow start, not scoring his first goal until January 26th, but has five points in the 11 games since. The Bruins management wanted him to improve defensive consistency in his first pro season. So far this season he leads his club with a +18 rating among defencemen. Zboril has all the tools he showed in major junior, and the offence looks to be coming into his professional game sooner than expected. Should his development continue to progress on track as it is, it is probable he will be given an opportunity on the big club next season. If you have him on your team hold on to him, you could see him sooner rather than later. Sid Osmond

I haven't been following him as closely as some fans here. But he screams similarities to Sergachev. Hopefully he is good enough to make the team next season and can help out the club. Especially since a need is at the LHD spot

He has good size (6'2) and is a fantastic skater just like Carlo

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Rinkside Rhode Island

Here is a breakdown of the rookie PBruins. Not that Divver is a 100% prophet, but probably is the most trusted guy on baby B's news. Based on this, I don't know that we'll Zboril in a regular role in Boston just yet. With O'Gara gone, he goes up the ladder for sure. It might be UV will be ready even before Zboril as it seems like UV is less of a project. Who knows though- this camp should be exciting.

Reactions: rocketdan9

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Rinkside Rhode Island

Here is a breakdown of the rookie PBruins. Not that Divver is a 100% prophet, but probably is the most trusted guy on baby B's news. Based on this, I don't know that we'll Zboril in a regular role in Boston just yet. With O'Gara gone, he goes up the ladder for sure. It might be UV will be ready even before Zboril as it seems like UV is less of a project. Who knows though- this camp should be exciting.

Divver is one of the more underrated hockey minds anywhere. A true student of the game and I love that he doesn't pull any punches and calls things like he sees them 100% of the time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Divver is one of the more underrated hockey minds anywhere. A true student of the game and I love that he doesn't pull any punches and calls things like he sees them 100% of the time.

Agreed, was pointed in his direction by a fan or two here (might have been you), love reading his contributions, points out areas that are needed to be improved upon when discussing the team/prospects but does it in a way that doesn`t come across as someone just complaining to hear themselves talk. Makes his points, backs them up with reasoning and is fair

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I always thought he was 5'11?? Shows what I know about scouting and prospects....

I've only seen him play in the NHL preseason games thus far. Was excited when they drafted him, because I was hoping he's surge above and beyond the junior leagues.

Dunno what the best role for him in Boston would be though. Bottom pairing guy? Do you hope he'll make it to the top 4?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I always thought he was 5'11?? Shows what I know about scouting and prospects....

I've only seen him play in the NHL preseason games thus far. Was excited when they drafted him, because I was hoping he's surge above and beyond the junior leagues.

Dunno what the best role for him in Boston would be though. Bottom pairing guy? Do you hope he'll make it to the top 4?

I think everyone hopes he makes it to the top 4. Hell, I hope he becomes a top pairing HOF caliber defenseman haha

He may start on a bottom pairing when he first comes in but I’d say the mindset is for him to develop into a top 4 two way defenseman who can play all situations.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Rinkside Rhode Island

Zboril and UV similar in that both are fantastic skaters. I’m not sure I have ever seen a smoother skater than Zboril. His stride and stance reminds me of Sobotka’s when he was young (maybe it’s a Czech thing?).

They are different in the areas they needed to improve in. I think the B’s wanted JZ to work on his defensive consistency and they will likely want UV to work on lending more of a hand offensively.

I have seen very little of UV, but I highly doubt that he has Zboril’s mean streak. He just needs to harness it and pick his spots. I saw Junior clips where he would take himself out of position to make a hit. I’m sure that’s one of the things they worked on this year.

If things work out the way the B’s hope, UV is your 1st pair LD in short order and JZ is your 2nd pair LD.

In a couple years, I hope to see:

UV-McAvoy
JZ-Carlo
Grizz-XXX

Edit: unlikely, but even better:

UV-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo
Grizz-JZ (he can play the right side)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Zboril and UV similar in that both are fantastic skaters. I’m not sure I have ever seen a smoother skater than Zboril. His stride and stance reminds me of Sobotka’s when he was young (maybe it’s a Czech thing?).

They are different in the areas they needed to improve in. I think the B’s wanted JZ to work on his defensive consistency and they will likely want UV to work on lending more of a hand offensively.

I have seen very little of UV, but I highly doubt that he has Zboril’s mean streak. He just needs to harness it and pick his spots. I saw Junior clips where he would take himself out of position to make a hit. I’m sure that’s one of the things they worked on this year.

If things work out the way the B’s hope, UV is your 1st pair LD in short order and JZ is your 2nd pair LD.

UV-McAvoy
JZ-Carlo
Grizz-XXX

UV-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo

It’s nice that both Zboril and Vaakanainen both seem to compliment McAvoy’s style well enough to where I could see a scenario of either being his partner. You could mix and match a lot as well. Want a little more offense? Zboril/McAvoy. Want a shutdown pairing? UV/Carlo.

Lauzon thrown into the mix, as you put him on the 2nd “unlikely” scenario. A lot of potential to have a stud defensive core. I hope Lauzon can stay healthy.

Reactions: Dr Hook

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

UV-McAvoy
JZ-Carlo
Grizz-XXX

UV-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo

Liking what I read and see from Clifton (rhd)

Kevan Miller type game?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

6'2 now. I think when he was drafted he was 6'0. So this small growth spurt is definitely a plus

False Start

May 8, 2018
We won't know what we have unless we play them in the NHL. Look what happened with Grzelcyk.

But with a returning 6 and McQuaid being the 7th I'm not sure if he'll impress enough to get a spot out of camp. I certainly would imagine him and Lauzon would be the first call ups if someone gets hurt, especially on the left side.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Then the +12 from last year must also be worthless.

Does he seem like a worthy call-up? I'd like to think there were better options.

Hey Brent, how did you like Zboril's play in preseason?? Personally I thought he held his own pretty good..I wonder is the bad start in Pro have anything to do with Vaak staying with the Bruins longer and then getting a call up before him?? Maybe he think he played well enough to get a call up before him. I dunno, just speculation on my part.. BUT I do think it's too early to call him a bust..

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Hey Brent, how did you like Zboril's play in preseason?? Personally I thought he held his own pretty good..I wonder is the bad start in Pro have anything to do with Vaak staying with the Bruins longer and then getting a call up before him?? Maybe he think he played well enough to get a call up before him. I dunno, just speculation on my part.. BUT I do think it's too early to call him a bust..
It may be too soon to call him a bust. I just would like to see some of our can't-miss D prospects such as Zboril and Lauzon finally develop and make an impact.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
It may be too soon to call him a bust. I just would like to see some of our can't-miss D prospects such as Zboril and Lauzon finally develop and make an impact.

I feel same way brother..Last season this time, everything was looking so good for our prospect pool. Are all of them having sophomore slumps?? Donato, Debrusk, Bjork, McAvoy, Heinen..Plus I was certain Lauzen or Zboril or even JFK up front would make team, but this season is starting off just the opposite..Maybe a couple of them pots a goal it just might get them going.

As for Zboril or Lauzen, they just have to work their butts off in Providence and force Boston's hand...It's all up to them.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I thought both Lauzon and Zboril looked good in pre-season. I would give the edge to Lauzon, he is a bit bigger. If we go by just plus/minus then Barzal after 7 games in minus 7, which is tied for 4th worst in the league.

BruinsNetwork

Zboril was looking good in the preseason but got his bell rung. Takes awhile to get back to 100 pct.

Really like what I’ve seen from Zboril so far this season. Playing with purpose and skating with conviction, his game is much more cohesive than last season. He must have trained hard over ther summer as he looks stronger and faster.

In regards to his readiness for the NHL? Not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer and trending upwards. I think he would be able to handle himself, but would rather him see the NHL under better circumstances. I think Breen or Golubef get the call.

Not every player can jump into the NHL as a U20 player and impact the game like Werenski or McAvoy. Let Zboril take his time and let the Bruins get it right with his development, because he’s got the tools and skillset of a top-four defenseman.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Really like what I’ve seen from Zboril so far this season. Playing with purpose and skating with conviction, his game is much more cohesive than last season. He must have trained hard over ther summer as he looks stronger and faster.

In regards to his readiness for the NHL? Not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer and trending upwards. I think he would be able to handle himself, but would rather him see the NHL under better circumstances. I think Breen or Golubef get the call.

Not every player can jump into the NHL as a U20 player and impact the game like Werenski or McAvoy. Let Zboril take his time and let the Bruins get it right with his development, because he’s got the tools and skillset of a top-four defenseman.

Thank you for the report. How about Sensyhyn? Maybe post it in the Providence thread? Not sure it’s allowed here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad