Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Seems like a decent enough signing for a body to compete in camp.

Between this and the Gravel signing I wonder if the team will try and run a more offensive 3rd pairing.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Klefbom
Jerabek/Gravel-Benning/Bear

I know people don't like Russell in the top 4, but it's likely the best spot for him at this point. Let him backup/support Klefbom, which will free up Oskar to play more aggressively (and frankly that's the kind of partner Oskar needs).

Though I won't lie, I still think Davidson would have been the best fit, or Enstrom a better player.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The benchmark should be filling the '16-'17 Sekera role not upgrading slightly on the corpse of Sekera from last year. Not sure if either are an upgrade on Auvitu.

It’s like people forget that Sekera was the #1 UFA Dman the year we signed him. Setting the benchmark at that level at this point in the offseason is setting yourself up to be disappointed, as the only way to do it is through trade.

Reactions: Aerchon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
r u suggesting getting either is possible?

If I was the blues I am asking for Leon D for Parayko and if I am the Canes I am asking for Nurse at either a first or second

do you do either of those trades
He doesn’t, but he hopes Chiarelli does so he has something to bitch about.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can't say I expected this. The guy brings minimal offense, but is a mobile puck mover who can compete with Gravel for a spot. I'm wondering if the two will be battling for one spot and we can expect a PTO or two or if the plan is to have one of them manning the bottom pair.

The team really is sticking to the mobile skaters though with their FA additions.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Personal I think this board would complain if Chia Pet had white toast over brown toast in the morning
It’s amusing. Last summer people complained that Chiarelli shouldn’t have signed Draisatl so soon. Felt that he should have made him sweat it out through the summer and wait right up until training camp to make the best possible deal. This summer we’re hearing “omg, it’s August 21, why isn’t Nurse signed yet? Chiarelli should have had it done by now.”
Do we want these deals done quickly or do we want them done properly?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It’s amusing. Last summer people complained that Chiarelli shouldn’t have signed Draisatl so soon. Felt that he should have made him sweat it out through the summer and wait right up until training camp to make the best possible deal. This summer we’re hearing “omg, it’s August 21, why isn’t Nurse signed yet? Chiarelli should have had it done by now.”
Neither Nor

Posters will complain if the deal was done early and they will complain if the deal done on the eve of camp

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

As with most things where generalization occurs this is distorted. For instance my take with the Drai contract was actually it taking too long. My concern with the Nurse contract being it has taken too long.

With valuable players I want the contract done, I don't want Gaudreau type contractual dragging on that interferes with preparation and is a distraction.

The only similarity you could find is that the species of poster saying Let Draisaitl Rot, or let Nurse rot, are often the same posters. This possibly being due to some posters being jealous over what NHL players make or that don't respect the contributions of the respective players involved.

As fans of course you get nervous when a valuable player on a team isn't signed. Unless you stop caring about it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As with most things where generalization occurs this is distorted. For instance my take with the Drai contract was actually it taking too long. My concern with the Nurse contract being it has taken too long.

With valuable players I want the contract done, I don't want Gaudreau type contractual dragging on that interferes with preparation and is a distraction.

The only similarity you could find is that the species of poster saying Let Draisaitl Rot, or let Nurse rot, are often the same posters. This possibly being due to some posters being jealous over what NHL players make or that don't respect the contributions of the respective players involved.

As fans of course you get nervous when a valuable player on a team isn't signed. Unless you stop caring about it.
My point here is that in the eyes of some, Chiarelli can’t do anything right, irregardless of what he actually does and the method he goes about doing it. I’m not his biggest fan either. I look at it as if the team does well, he must be doing a good job and if the team doesn’t do well, he’ll eventually lose his job. I’m good with a system like that. I just see the same people criticizing him for whatever he does even if he takes different approaches to what he does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My point here is that in the eyes of some, Chiarelli can’t do anything right, irregardless of what he actually does and the method he goes about doing it. I’m not his biggest fan either. I look at it as if the team does well, he must be doing a good job and if the team doesn’t do well, he’ll eventually lose his job. I’m good with a system like that. I just see the same people criticizing him for whatever he does even if he takes different approaches to what he does.
This is fair comment. Can't comment on others but I'm giving Chia credit in the Gravel signing or this one. These are the type of deals that make sense. Its possible to look at the good and the bad, we agree.

That said, if we get Gravel, and this guy (I still can't spell his name) and we don't sign Nurse I'll be pissed because the greater factor would be Nurse.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

My big question about Draisatl was why he wasn’t resigned the previous summer. From what I understand, that was his choice and not Chiarelli’s. When it got to last summer, I think Chiarelli could have waited longer to do the deal and try to leverage a more team friendly deal. Once we got a week into July and later, it became unlikely another team was going to try to steal him. He’s been criticized for his negotiating skills. I see the delay in Nurse’s deal as Chiarelli not caving and trying to get as good a deal as possible. I thought this is what fans wanted?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I see the Never Criticize Daddy Peter(!) crowd is out. How are those impending nervous breakdowns going?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My big question about Draisatl was why he wasn’t resigned the previous summer. From what I understand, that was his choice and not Chiarelli’s. When it got to last summer, I think Chiarelli could have waited longer to do the deal and try to leverage a more team friendly deal. Once we got a week into July and later, it became unlikely another team was going to try to steal him. He’s been criticized for his negotiating skills. I see the delay in Nurse’s deal as Chiarelli not caving and trying to get as good a deal as possible. I thought this is what fans wanted?

I think what fans want is to see the best set table as possible. Which includes Nurse in the stable, not out of it.

With Sekera out the team HAS to sign Nurse. To not do that is to flirt with last season again.

We can't be wasting these McD, Draisaitl seasons.

This has to be about being competitive now.

Theres a real urgency to this season. It will define what this club is and where it will go. imo

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
this is it in a nutshell

if the team does well, then Chiarelli built a good team
but if it is garbage again this year, then he's fired to the delight of many
and that means he deserves to fired which is OK with me

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think what fans want is to see the best set table as possible. Which includes Nurse in the stable, not out of it.

With Sekera out the team HAS to sign Nurse. To not do that is to flirt with last season again.

We can't be wasting these McD, Draisaitl seasons.

This has to be about being competitive now.

Theres a real urgency to this season. It will define what this club is and where it will go. imo
As long as Nurse is signed before training camp starts I don’t see any issue. There’s lots of time to get it done before then. If he’s not then we can start to worry. I don’t see a reason to get worked up about it today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As long as Nurse is signed before training camp starts I don’t see any issue. There’s lots of time to get it done before then. If he’s not then we can start to worry. I don’t see a reason to get worked up about it today.

I worry proactively, heh, its life learned. I don't recommend it, just habit formed.

There is no reason to worry about something that hasn't occurred, you are correct, but not much about any worry is logical. ;)

Primitive man would have dreams about being chased by predators or gored by bear. Our brains are hardwired to worry, because it furthers thought on the beasts that might be tracking us. Its a survival prerequisite.

Consider this the long form answer..;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I worry proactively, heh, its life learned. I don't recommend it, just habit formed.

There is no reason to worry about something that hasn't occurred, you are correct, but not much about any worry is logical. ;)

Primitive man would have dreams about being chased by predators or gored by bear. Our brains are hardwired to worry, because it furthers thought on the beasts that might be tracking us. Its a survival prerequisite.

Consider this the long form answer..;)
It’s been a long summer man. We haven’t had much to really discuss with this team. I can’t say for sure that my interest is waning but I haven’t been as invested in the team this offseason as I have in previous years. I’m sure though, that I’ll be as big of a nut job as I usually am in October.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Incompetent management tends to have fans that complain. Go figure. There's an easy way to not get criticized and that involves not making a damn mistake every 2nd move you make (or more like every 2/3 moves being bad in this situation) and then having the logic of "well, we'll just hand wave that away, it's not so bad" only goes so far before people stop giving you the benefit of the doubt.

He will be criticized for every move he makes and it's deserved on his part. He has not earned the leeway to not be criticized. The last "great" move he made was what? Patrick Maroon 2 1/2 years ago now? That's a long freaking drought.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We needed a dman. The clown signed, uh, jerabek. Gj. Again.
It's actually quite a good signing for August 20th, not a lot of free-agents available. I mean they could have signed in his prime Al McInnis and you would have a complaint about it, because it's more about your personal sense of misery then it is about anything based in reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad