Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think this is that fair of a comment to be honest. I think we do add depth players the problem is they are slotted in non-depth roles thus making it look like we have no depth players.

I'm not sure they sign Jerabek if Sekera was healthy, and Jerabek could be had for little cost. It's a pattern; every year they either refuse or ignore small simple moves that could make the team better. They always do the bare minimum to the roster and hope that a large number of risky bets pay off in terms of internal growth and players staying healthy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jerabik is your Sekera "fill in", this is how Chiarelli works.

You're not getting Faulk or Parayko guys. They may be holding off the Nurse contract until once they can place Sekera on LTIR, that's basically all.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning
Jerabik Russell
Gravel

Is pretty much gonna be the opening night D. Same as last year, he did nothing to find a Sekera fill in other than signing Auvitu.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I kinda wish this signing would've happened before Sekera went down. This seems like a very smart depth move to make.
That would require foresight on the part of Chiarelli. He's more of a 'stick your finger in the hole once the water is over your boots' sort of guy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

You're not getting Faulk or Parayko guys. They may be holding off the Nurse contract until once they can place Sekera on LTIR, that's basically all.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning
Jerabik Russell
Gravel

Is pretty much gonna be the opening night D. Same as last year, he did nothing to find a Sekera fill in other than signing Auvitu.

Good news is that Jerabek and Gravel are likely upgrades on Auvitu, and are definitely upgrades over what Sekera was last year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I had the list of UFA dmen ranked something like this:

Franson
Enstrom
McBain
Davidson
Martin
Postma
Quincey
Jerabek

8th choice for a #8 dman sounds about right. :)

I assume they felt the other available dmen were either too old or didn't have as much upside as Jerabek.

I agree as well... hopefully they utilize Jerabek better than they did with Auvitu, because Auvitu did well with the few limited minutes/games they gave him.

edit...
As pointed out by Cloned... Postma signed in the KHL... so Jerabek moves up to #7. Other comments remain the same.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I had the list of UFA dmen ranked something like this:

Franson
Enstrom
McBain
Davidson
Martin
Postma
Quincey
Jerabek

8th choice for a #8 dman sounds about right. :)

I assume they felt the other available dmen were either too old or didn't have as much upside as Jerabek.

I agree as well... hopefully they utilize Jerabek better than they did with Auvitu, because Auvitu did well with the few limited minutes/games they gave him.

I think Jerabek probably signed for close to minimum, whereas guys like Franson and Enstrom are probably looking for over 1M. Davidson is looking for a longer term deal. Martin is done. I think Postma signed in Europe. McBain is a different type of player; I think the Oilers wanted someone that could move the puck better. Quincey I didn't even know was still in the league, lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hope he gets a fair shot.

Feel much more confident with him, Gravel and Bear as our 7,8,9 than I did with Gryba, OV2, and Stanton/Lowe last year. Sekera injury is such a damn shame because we would have had very good depth 1-8.

Seems like a pretty similar 7,8,9 to me with Bear obviously having the most upside but probably not ready yet to make an impact. The problem is that these are the 6,7,8 guys now or 7,8,9 with Bouchard being the 6. The Sekera injury is going to be a bigger impact than some people realize.

In any event, I'm fine with this signing as well as Upshall but don't expect much on ice contribution. Upshall filling the Hendricks leadership role will be more valuable than his on.ice play IMO. I'd prefer Franson to Herbal if they were looking for an offensive dynamic for the bottom pairing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Jerabek probably signed for close to minimum, whereas guys like Franson and Enstrom are probably looking for over 1M. Davidson is looking for a longer term deal. Martin is done. I think Postma signed in Europe. McBain is a different type of player; I think the Oilers wanted someone that could move the puck better. Quincey I didn't even know was still in the league, lol.

Ya it gets pretty thin pretty quickly as you go down the list.

I don't mind the Jerabek signing... at worst he spends the season in the AHL if he's a dud and there's always the chance they pick up a better dman somewhere on the waiver wire before the season begins.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The benchmark should be filling the '16-'17 Sekera role not upgrading slightly on the corpse of Sekera from last year.

Oh I agree.

Just saying that within that specific context, the depth signings are better bets this year compared to last.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The benchmark should be filling the '16-'17 Sekera role not upgrading slightly on the corpse of Sekera from last year. Not sure if either are an upgrade on Auvitu.

I agree with this as well. Hard to replace the "good" Sekera that we saw in 16/17 from what's left on the UFA market.

I think only Enstrom/Franson would have been able to come close to that... as both would have been at least good 3rd pairing options.

Jerabek is more of a #8 guy that hopefully still has some upside to reach so if he does spend time in the lineup, he doesn't hurt you and hopefully can chip in a little offense.

I actually liked the Gravel signing. I think he'll surprise to the upside and has a strong chance at being a regular on the bottom pairing and will likely do well there. Outside chance he may even be good enough for 2nd pairing down the line if he hits his full upside.

I would rate them Gravel>>Auvitu>>Jerabek if I had to come up with a ranking.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh I agree.

Just saying that within that specific context, the depth signings are better bets this year compared to last.

That's the hope but on paper, Jerabek and Upshall are pretty similar to Auvitu and Jokinen. I do like the leadership aspect of Upshall though, filling the Hendricks role in that respect.

They aren't world-beaters but Franson and Enstrom were the two most capable of filling a permanent top 6 role. Maybe one of them.is still an option?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning
Jerabik Russell
Gravel

r u suggesting getting either is possible?

If I was the blues I am asking for Leon D for Parayko and if I am the Canes I am asking for Nurse at either a first or second

do you do either of those trades

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's the hope but on paper, Jerabek and Upshall are pretty similar to Auvitu and Jokinen. I do like the leadership aspect of Upshall though, filling the Hendricks role in that respect.

They aren't world-beaters but Franson and Enstrom were the two most capable of filling a permanent top 6 role. Maybe one of them.is still an option?

Out of the two that you mentioned, probably Franson as he’s RH.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Happy to see him in Edmonton which is a good fit and really happy to see another Czech D (a massive weakness for us) with an NHL contract for the year... I think that is Sustr, Gudas, Kempny, Rutta, Jerabek and Polak signed for the season. Plus Hronek knocking heavily on the door making it maybe 7 guys. That is bad by most standards but somewhat promising for Czech hockey. Hopefully Sulak, Zboril, Masin or Hajek can get a toehold in the league at some point this season.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh yeah! The two guys in Montreal... maybe one of them makes it???

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The benchmark should be filling the '16-'17 Sekera role not upgrading slightly on the corpse of Sekera from last year. Not sure if either are an upgrade on Auvitu.
You're not going to find someone to fill that role in late August without giving up a considerable amount via trade. Nurse is the guy that needs to step up and establish himself as a solid #3 and fill that role. Jerabek is just another guy who's being brought in to fight for the #6 slot along with guys like Gravel, Bear, Lowe, Lagesson etc.

Reactions: Cypress

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As far as I understand the LTIR situation Chia will not be able to use that cap space until the season starts. If thats true then there isnt going to be a deal (if in fact there is one) until October.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would have preferred Davidson. It was a short stint but he looked awesome right up until Tkachuk slew footed him. Never quite the same since but I really think it's primarily a confidence thing. Especially on the Oilers I feel he could find that form again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad