Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like the looks of this addition. Its good to take some chances on players like this and really only upside to it. Because in this one, unlike say Upshall, there is some huge potential.
I agree with this as well. Hard to replace the "good" Sekera that we saw in 16/17 from what's left on the UFA market.

I think only Enstrom/Franson would have been able to come close to that... as both would have been at least good 3rd pairing options.

Jerabek is more of a #8 guy that hopefully still has some upside to reach so if he does spend time in the lineup, he doesn't hurt you and hopefully can chip in a little offense.

I actually liked the Gravel signing. I think he'll surprise to the upside and has a strong chance at being a regular on the bottom pairing and will likely do well there. Outside chance he may even be good enough for 2nd pairing down the line if he hits his full upside.

I would rate them Gravel>>Auvitu>>Jerabek if I had to come up with a ranking.
But its like rating apples and oranges. Completely different players. Gravel is more of a cheap mans version of McNabb. Likes to play physical but not as dominant. Can make some plays but not with any consistency at this level.

What you get with Gravel though is a guy that can play some shifts in tougher pairings than he should be able to and not look entirely out of place. He's a well coached player, had excellent tutoring at every level and the Kings org does a bang up job. No nonsense type D that took a long time to get to the NHL but that's also due to how great the Kings D were. This guy could surprise some people in how good he can look. The good news is between his NHL/AHL work the apprenticeship is done. This player is ready to unpack. Not only will Gravel make the club he'll surprise people.

Reactions: dustrock

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Jerabik is your Sekera "fill in", this is how Chiarelli works.

You're not getting Faulk or Parayko guys. They may be holding off the Nurse contract until once they can place Sekera on LTIR, that's basically all.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning
Jerabik Russell
Gravel

Is pretty much gonna be the opening night D. Same as last year, he did nothing to find a Sekera fill in other than signing Auvitu.

Unlike last year Sekera injury happen what 10 days ago . If teams know you desperate you will overpay and i am sure if Chia overpays you will be one of the first ones screaming for his head . Yet here you are wanting Chia to rush a deal

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like the looks of this addition. Its good to take some chances on players like this and really only upside to it. Because in this one, unlike say Upshall, there is some huge potential.
But its like rating apples and oranges. Completely different players. Gravel is more of a cheap mans version of McNabb. Likes to play physical but not as dominant. Can make some plays but not with any consistency at this level.

What you get with Gravel though is a guy that can play some shifts in tougher pairings than he should be able to and not look entirely out of place. He's a well coached player, had excellent tutoring at every level and the Kings org does a bang up job. No nonsense type D that took a long time to get to the NHL but that's also due to how great the Kings D were. This guy could surprise some people in how good he can look. The good news is between his NHL/AHL work the apprenticeship is done. This player is ready to unpack. Not only will Gravel make the club he'll surprise people.

I agree with all that.

Players are all different... but ratings and assessments all come to down to the same basic end results... how players will (likely) affect GF and GA when they are on the ice. There's lots of variables in play... TOI, QoT, QoC, zone starts, physicality, speed, defensive and offensive skills and of course intangibles like how they get along with their teammates on and off the ice including the coaches willingness to trust them in key situations... PK and when leading/trailing games.

Ability to stay healthy and actually contribute on a regular basis is huge as well and is somewhat of an unknown factor specifically with Gravel as he that illness history which will be a lifelong challenge for him.

I think he has 2nd pairing potential but whether he reaches that will be the question. Even if he helps the Oilers by being a steady, bottom pairing contributor... that's a solid asset to pick up for free.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unlike last year Sekera injury happen what 10 days ago . If teams know you desperate you will overpay and i am sure if Chia overpays you will be one of the first ones screaming or his head . Yet here you are wanting Chia to rush a deal

You're right it's better Chia does nothing. He won't have to worry about winning or losing trades soon enough.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unlike last year Sekera injury happen what 10 days ago . If teams know you desperate you will overpay and i am sure if Chia overpays you will be one of the first ones screaming or his head . Yet here you are wanting Chia to rush a deal
you never know, maybe this move was made just to take away that leverage, and also the requirement that he make a trade.

I'd still want Faulk, and I think that Carolina is as eager to trade him as we are eager to find someone like him. Carolina could be waiting for the best offer possible. I think Chia's offer would be strong, but it would be more like the Skinner trade, and not including a major player like RNH or even a piece like our 1st. But who really knows? Not us.

I see a pattern lately with Chia. With Koskinen and Jerabek, it seems less like a safe move but more of a risky one but with a high potential reward. Signing Davidson was the obvious safe move to make here, but he opted for the interesting player instead.

Reactions: Cypress

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just speculating, but maybe this signing is a backup plan if Nurse doesn't sign right away? I wonder how those negotiations are going anyways.

Chiarelli kind of lost a bit of leverage when Sekera went down. This might be a shot across the bow of Nurse's camp.

Don't take this literally or anything. Like I said, "Just speculating".

It's been a long offseason. :(

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Just speculating, but maybe this signing is a backup plan if Nurse doesn't sign right away? I wonder how those negotiations are going anyways.

Chiarelli kind of lost a bit of leverage when Sekera went down. This might be a shot across the bow of Nurse's camp.

Don't take this literally or anything. Like I said, "Just speculating".

It's been a long offseason. :(
If Nurse thinks he has more leverage cause Sekera went down, he can enjoy sitting out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well it's safe to say since it's August 20th and there's still no deal with Nurse... that the negotiations aren't going as smooth as silk.

I realize there's still plenty of time until training camp and a deal will no doubt get done... but there's obviously some difference between the two sides or a deal would be done already.

You'd have to think that since a bridge deal would be the easiest/quickest to sign... that it would be signed by now... so one (or both) of the sides must not be in favour of a bridge deal.

My (obvious) speculation is they are still negotiating terms of a longer term deal and the holdup is either the cap hit of somewhere between $5-5.5 million or the term of 5-8 years.

Nurse's agent may want a medium term deal.... say 5 years in that $5-5.25 million range but the team may only want to give that type of salary for a max 8 year deal.

Again just my complete speculation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If anyone is curious, you're able to bury up to $1.025M of a contract this coming season, so if the $1M number is correct, there's basically no risk to this.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well it's safe to say since it's August 20th and there's still no deal with Nurse... that the negotiations aren't going as smooth as silk.

I realize there's still plenty of time until training camp and a deal will no doubt get done... but there's obviously some difference between the two sides or a deal would be done already.

You'd have to think that since a bridge deal would be the easiest/quickest to sign... that it would be signed by now... so one (or both) of the sides must not be in favour of a bridge deal.

My (obvious) speculation is they are still negotiating terms of a longer term deal and the holdup is either the cap hit of somewhere between $5-5.5 million or the term of 5-8 years.

Nurse's agent may want a medium term deal.... say 5 years in that $5-5.25 million range but the team may only want to give that type of salary for a max 8 year deal.

Again just my complete speculation.
If it's a bridge, I'd think there's no excuse to not get this done soon. If it is a long term deal, I'd be happy with him even missing a few regular season games if it meant we got a favorable AAV.

So hopefully this Jerabek guy can play because he might just have to. Gravel too.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
That could be...I am not entirely sure. Perhaps someone on here can fill in the blanks.

while yes thats true, you can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, but you must be cap compliant by the start of the season

sooooo......

we have 4.978 million left
minus out JJ's cap of roughly 1 million

so 3.978 mill left to sign Nurse. However, with the 10% we would have 11.928 to sign Nurse, whom I think we will sign to a 8 year 5 AAV deal

meaning we would be over by 1.022, which can be fixed by some creative accounting until we can put sek on LTIR

so yes we could make this work

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
while yes thats true, you can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, but you must be cap compliant by the start of the season

sooooo......

so 3.978 mill left to sign Nurse. However, with the 10% we would have 11.928 to sign Nurse, whom I think we will sign to a 8 year 5 AAV deal

meaning we would be over by 1.022, which can be fixed by some creative accounting until we can put sek on LTIR

Sekera can be placed on LTIR any time before the season begins too.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
hmmm that doesn't seem right, or why else would Chi trade Hossa for the flexibility
He can, but I dont think you end up with the same amount of benefit as if we were near the cap and he was placed after the season started.

I feel like I'm reading another language when looking at LTIR stuff, but Capfriendly says you can place a player on LTIR during the offseason, but I think McHockeyfan91 might be right.

I think guys like Hossa are traded due to real money over cap considerations because there's a specific cap number you need to be over to actually use your LTIR relief and you need to be pretty close to the cap to use it.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

sooooo......

Thanks for this.

This LTIR stuff can get a little convoluted.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting stuff from the Montreal Gazette (Jan 24th 2018)...some arrows appear to be pointing in the right direction even if the sample size is underwhelming...

Analyze This: Numbers show Canadiens rookie Jakub Jerabek is a keeper

It took him at least 15 games to adapt to the NHL, and he’s still learning the ropes at this juncture in the season, but his underlying numbers with the Canadiens are quite encouraging.

When it comes to his deployment, Jerabek hasn’t started the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, but he’s not getting sheltered by any means....

Jerabek has adapted quite well to the NHL even if he’s been playing with subpar defensive partners and facing a relatively high quality of competition. He’s outplaying half the blue-liners, all of whom have more experience at the NHL level.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You're right it's better Chia does nothing. He won't have to worry about winning or losing trades soon enough.

Not what I said but you know that . You all always gloom and doom . You do realize this team is the basically the same team that had 103 point minus Sekera . Last year Klefbom was hurt as well . Just with the coaches changes i expect a better PP and PK . Nurse has gotten better every year since he was drafted and he by no means a finish produce . I also think overall this years team is a better defensively . Then you have to expect one of the rookies to break out sooner or later . At 2c we have Draisaitl now and he will outproduce RNH from that 103 point team . RNH should fair well with McDavid so i don't see a huge drop off from the first line . Also the Oilers lost 13 of their first 20 games last year . So they were over 500 the rest of the way with Talbot playing like crap , broken Klefbom and Sekera . The Oiler weren't as bad as their record indicates . With everything going wrong it is amazing they were just about 500 for the last 62 games .

I agree Chia and T Mac needs to go . Seen so many trades happen over the last few years that would've helped . Players that were cheap to acquire . 1 thing Chia has done is built up a decent prospect pool . No one give him credit for . No credit for grabbing Bear in the 5th rd . I bet if he pass on a player that turns out better then one he picks you would start the mud sling again . Every GM has their flaws

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Montreal fans seem to have liked him while he was there. Capitals fans have mixed feelings - apparently he was decent in the RS, wasn't great in the first two games of the playoffs which led to him being scratched.
WSH had depth at d though. Just like the rest of the lineup, they couldn't afford to have guys play a bad game. If they did they went to the next guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The benchmark should be filling the '16-'17 Sekera role not upgrading slightly on the corpse of Sekera from last year. Not sure if either are an upgrade on Auvitu.
Auvitu didn't play a style that coaches liked. He wasn't going to get much of a chance here or probably anywhere else. With Gravel and Jerabek they brought in some more aggressive players. Auvitu's knock was he would shy away at times and not go into the tough areas. Doesn't matter how great he could've been offensively no NHL coach is going to have patience for a guy like that.

Reactions: guymez

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I like the signing. Also you have to think at some point one of our kids on D is going to step up and take a spot. Everyone is all for inserting rookies into the top 6 on this team but wouldn't think about it on Defense. Obviously a harder position to fake it until you make it on but really we can't be the only team trying out rookies on Defense.

Really sucks we lost Sekera but if the special teams can play to above league average and the goalies can stop the first shot of the game we should be ok on Defense this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad