Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How much cap space left to sign Nurse now?

I assume it’ll be moot once they put Sekera on LTIR...

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Guy is 5'11" 200lbs. Not exactly small

For a d-man, that's a little on the smaller side - a lot of modern d-men tend to be a fair bit over 6' because (generally) taller dudes have a longer wingspan, which allows them to cover more of the ice with their stick. That said, he's definitely big enough to (hopefully) not get blown off the puck by the slightest breeze.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder if this means Sekera won't be gone as long as we think...maybe (hopefully) a decent stopgap with some good upside

surely he's better than Auvitu

Its possible for sure. I would really like to think that Sekera can come back from that injury and if he can then that is a total testament to his commitment to recover. The question for me is how effective will Sekera be IF he can recover from serious back to back injuries at his age?

I am a big Sekera fan...I wanted the Oilers to sign him as a UFA and they did. He was an extremely solid dman for this team (full value on his contract) until injuries hit. I am pulling big time for him to come back and be an effective player. The odds are against him though.

As for Auvitu...he never impressed me. He simply isnt good enough at any one thing to compensate for all of his flaws. He is a #7 dman at best IMO.

I think that Jerabek has an opportunity to be a better player than Auvitu....he certainly has more tools. Jerabek is better offensive dman than Auvitu historically and he is stocky with a low center of gravity and to my understanding plays a much more physical game. He is tougher to knock off the puck.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I kinda wish this signing would've happened before Sekera went down. This seems like a very smart depth move to make.

By all reports Sekera was returning back to form this summer...then the Achilles injury happened.
Its tough to prep for bad luck.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Obviously one of the members of the OBC is a comic book fan and are pulling strings behind the scene to ensure Chiarelli signs a JJ in every offseason. Hopefully JJv3 brings more to the team than Jim Johnson or Jussi Jokinen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can't remember where I heard this, maybe Stauffer show, but apparently Davidson is really looking for a multi-year deal.

I heard 2 year deal with a guarantee that he makes NHL money if he gets sent down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I also like the fact that Jerabek was exposed to a Stanley cup winning environment last season.
That kind of experience has value.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Obviously one of the members of the OBC is a comic book fan and are pulling strings behind the scene to ensure Chiarelli signs a JJ in every offseason. Hopefully JJv3 brings more to the team than Jim Johnson or Jussi Jokinen.

j-jonah-e1499121306992.jpg

Reactions: Section337

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that 5'11" and 200lbs is small.

I like the signing, a bit surprised it wasn't Davidson, but he's lesser known quantity as opposed to Davidson
Pretty sure the Davidson experiment is done. They've seen enough of him and haven't seen a lot of upside. He just doesn't do anything real well.
Can't remember where I heard this, maybe Stauffer show, but apparently Davidson is really looking for a multi-year deal.
Lol, same agent as Maroon or what?

By all reports Sekera was returning back to form this summer...then the Achilles injury happened.
Its tough to prep for bad luck.
For sure, but this signing seems like one that should've been made regardless.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty sure the Davidson experiment is done. They've seen enough of him and haven't seen a lot of upside.

I think it's better than 50% the Oilers pick him up on waivers again at some point. He's always going to be a tweener. He'll be on the waiver wire again at some point in 2018-19.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For sure, but this signing seems like one that should've been made regardless.

I hope Jerabek turns out to be really good, so the Oilers braintrust can get it in their heads that it's OK to keep adding depth instead of closing their eyes and hoping everything works out. Because right now I don't think they would have signed Jerabek if Sekera was healthy, and that's a shame.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can't Blame Davidson for looking for that kind of deal, and you can't blame teams for passing on that.

I agree.
Its a tough sell for most teams looking for a depth dman but on the other hand Davidson has to try and maximize his opportunity. I wish him luck.
From an Oilers perspective I would take a pass.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hope he gets a fair shot.

Feel much more confident with him, Gravel and Bear as our 7,8,9 than I did with Gryba, OV2, and Stanton/Lowe last year. Sekera injury is such a damn shame because we would have had very good depth 1-8.

Reactions: snipes and guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Montreal fans seem to have liked him while he was there. Capitals fans have mixed feelings - apparently he was decent in the RS, wasn't great in the first two games of the playoffs which led to him being scratched.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Oilers can definitely use a defenseman who can move the puck well, which seems to be what Jerabek is best at. Decent low-risk bet.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope Jerabek turns out to be really good, so the Oilers braintrust can get it in their heads that it's OK to keep adding depth instead of closing their eyes and hoping everything works out. Because right now I don't think they would have signed Jerabek if Sekera was healthy, and that's a shame.
I don't think this is that fair of a comment to be honest. I think we do add depth players the problem is they are slotted in non-depth roles thus making it look like we have no depth players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad