Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well we have 3 new coaches in place so I wouldn't say that the coaching staff got a free pass even though I'm not thrilled that Todd is coming back.

My stinking impression is that McLellan is dead man walking and that Gulagzen is being groomed for the head coach role here being that he already was one. Theres too much in his approach that this management will fall all over. "Look how much he cares, he's throwing his stick in the stands." I just fear that we'll be back to Eakins level coaching when that happens. If I had to guess it happens at somepoint DURING this season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like the Jeracek deal but not the Upshall one. imo the former will have to make the squad and Upshall will be gifted a spot. The Oilers will be under the impression that Brodz and Upshall will still be serviceable 4th line parts and go that way. Theres too much that McLellan and Chia like in a player like Upshall. So that I don't really think he has to work to make the team.

Chia liked Chris Kelly and never signed him to a contract.
I think Upshall was brought in to fill the Hendricks void (of which many posters were agreeing was an issue last season).

At the very least, he'll provide some valuable vet feedback and a strong voice in the room to a team that desperately needs it and competition to earn spots for the likes of Cagguila, Aberg and even Kassian to an extent. I personally think his leadership will hold more value than on ice contribution.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chia liked Chris Kelly and never signed him to a contract.
I think Upshall was brought in to fill the Hendricks void (of which many posters were agreeing was an issue last season).

At the very least, he'll provide some valuable vet feedback and a strong voice in the room to a team that desperately needs it and competition to earn spots for the likes of Cagguila, Aberg and even Kassian to an extent. I personally think his leadership will hold more value than on ice contribution.

Hendricks could communicate in the room and on the ice either verbally or non verbally with expressions and wasn't averse to doing that. He was a respected player with some unique traits on and off the ice. He was also, like Maroon, that kind of guy that kept it real on the ice. Wouldn't get too worked up, knew the big picture in life and knew how to calm the kids.

We don't know for an instant that Upshall is like that. Upshall even spent most of his career playing on Vet clubs.

But the notion that 4 season into Chia Era we still need yesman babysitters on the ice and in the room to salve insecure needs of coaching and management is kind of sick.

I know why Upshall and Brodz are here because the org is veering back to a tendency to hire people that WON'T speak up and that just tow the line. There is good and bad in that. The bad is that daycare should be long past over. If this org and club still needs chemistry impetus and more "character guys" after getting Lucic, Kassian, Strome, all the others before then there is no message that is being heard or sustained.

To wit if an Upshall is required in 18-19 then very little progress has been made in team concept and adherence here.

Guys like Hendricks are only transition guys. They are in your lineup to help a club turn a corner and develop maturity, good habits, attitude to pro sports. At some point you wean that out of the lineup just like the 80's Oilers did with Lee Fogolin, Stan Weir, etc. A club is supposed to start learning to fly to the degree that groundschool isn't required anymore.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hendricks could communicate in the room and on the ice either verbally or non verbally with expressions and wasn't averse to doing that. He was a respected player with some unique traits on and off the ice. He was also, like Maroon, that kind of guy that kept it real on the ice. Wouldn't get too worked up, knew the big picture in life and knew how to calm the kids.

We don't know for an instant that Upshall is like that. Upshall even spent most of his career playing on Vet clubs.

But the notion that 4 season into Chia Era we still need yesman babysitters on the ice and in the room to salve insecure needs of coaching and management is kind of sick.

I know why Upshall and Brodz are here because the org is veering back to a tendency to hire people that WON'T speak up and that just tow the line. There is good and bad in that. The bad is that daycare should be long past over. If this org and club still needs chemistry impetus and more "character guys" after getting Lucic, Kassian, Strome, all the others before then there is no message that is being heard or sustained.

To wit if an Upshall is required in 18-19 then very little progress has been made in team concept and adherence here.

Guys like Hendricks are only transition guys. They are in your lineup to help a club turn a corner and develop maturity, good habits, attitude to pro sports. At some point you wean that out of the lineup just like the 80's Oilers did with Lee Fogolin, Stan Weir, etc. A club is supposed to start learning to fly to the degree that groundschool isn't required anymore.
Hence why he was brought in on a PTO. If Upshall can't bring the few things the Oilers are asking him to do then he won't be signed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Drive, it's a PTO. Lets not overreact here.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I know why Upshall and Brodz are here because the org is veering back to a tendency to hire people that WON'T speak up and that just tow the line.

I think they're just here to improve depth on the 4th line and hopefully provide some leadership and experience that may be a Cuggulia doesn't have yet. You might be ready too much into that bro.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drive, it's a PTO. Lets not overreact here.

You miss where I'm saying its a done deal that Upshall is here starting WITH the team in October.

This is a prototypical Chia Boston strong type "character guy" whatever that means. McLellan also loves this kind of vet at the expense of prospects and that theory was well developed in SJ. That Brodz or Upshall here is chapter 1 testimony of the orgs current failure to be developing its own into those roles. We just keep airlifting them in. The trouble with just hiring 4th liners that are not part of the org psyche is that they are just doing time. Just another shift, another team to play for until retirement. Solid as he appeared guys like Hendricks won't die for you. Kassian sure as hell won't and Brodz ironically will have a hard time not remembering this org ditched him in the first place, a player that should ALWAYS have remained here.

Heres the thing. The key glue in championship clubs or contending clubs does not come from how many players are young and old. It comes from there being the presence of players in the lineup in those magic years from say 25-27. That is the age group that bonds a dressing room more. Teams that have just young and old possess a demographic chasm. this is just going to be continued.

Interestingly the org has divested itself in recent years of players that were in that middle age range.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think they're just here to improve depth on the 4th line and hopefully provide some leadership and experience that may be a Cuggulia doesn't have yet. You might be ready too much into that bro.

The same clueless org that set a very effective Brodz loose several years ago, as if he were a nothing, is hiring back the less effective aged Brodz today. Along with his bookend Upshall. Maybe that its that I had to experience the absolute stupidity of an org that devalued Brodz in the first place but getting the 34yr old version isn't making any amends for that. Trying better to develop current rounds of role players that are actually invested in this org would've been better. This being the type of thing one wouldn't expect from an org in 4th year management incumbency. But here we are still filling and airlifting players in like an expansion club.

Its just a treadmill. When this doesn't work they'll just airlift in new role players. What will always be missing is that the players hired in to play this role here won't have the same connection to org than would a player developed into that spot over several years.

Reactions: AVE MAN

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You miss where I'm saying its a done deal that Upshall is here starting WITH the team in October.

This is a prototypical Chia Boston strong type "character guy" whatever that means. McLellan also loves this kind of vet at the expense of prospects and that theory was well developed in SJ. That Brodz or Upshall here is chapter 1 testimony of the orgs current failure to be developing its own into those roles. We just keep airlifting them in. The trouble with just hiring 4th liners that are not part of the org psyche is that they are just doing time. Just another shift, another team to play for until retirement. Solid as he appeared guys like Hendricks won't die for you. Kassian sure as hell won't and Brodz ironically will have a hard time not remembering this org ditched him in the first place, a player that should ALWAYS have remained here.

Heres the thing. The key glue in championship clubs or contending clubs does not come from how many players are young and old. It comes from there being the presence of players in the lineup in those magic years from say 25-27. That is the age group that bonds a dressing room more. Teams that have just young and old possess a demographic chasm. this is just going to be continued.

Interestingly the org has divested itself in recent years of players that were in that middle age range.
As mentioned Chris Kelly was the exact same player and he didn't get a contract, so I'm not sure why you'd assume Upshall who has no ties to PC is a sure thing. If he was he'd have a contract right now.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
The same clueless org that set a very effective Brodz loose several years ago, as if he were a nothing, is hiring back the less effective aged Brodz today. Along with his bookend Upshall. Maybe that its that I had to experience the absolute stupidity of an org that devalued Brodz in the first place but getting the 34yr old version isn't making any amends for that. Trying better to develop current rounds of role players that are actually invested in this org would've been better. This being the type of thing one wouldn't expect from an org in 4th year management incumbency. But here we are still filling and airlifting players in like an expansion club.

Its just a treadmill. When this doesn't work they'll just airlift in new role players. What will always be missing is that the players hired in to play this role here won't have the same connection to org than would a player developed into that spot over several years.

Brodziak is here on 1 year deal. Who cares what the Organization did 4 years ago on a player assessment? Why are you connecting those dots?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Brodziak is here on 1 year deal. Who cares what the Organization did 4 years ago on a player assessment? Why are you connecting those dots?

Because the org still devalues its own prospects. It has since K lowe and MacT have been here. They are still here. At least unconsciously its still going on. Still a feeling that grass is greener elsewhere.

This org STILL doesn't invest in present org prospects. Look at my post in the "insanity" thread for more on that. This org is so bad at developing org players (stlll) that we airlift in tweeners.

I know I keep mentioning this but its relevant. BOTH Slepychev, Pakarinen showed signs of developing here and carving out a niche in play. Both had good moments here and specific uses. Pak on pk, 4th iine, was a solid hitter, very low GA, basically shutdown forward. Whats not to like? Team gets rid of him. To me this was a late bloomer that could have used more time. Instead the team scratched him half the games this year. Same thing with Slepychev. heres a guy that obviously clicked with Draisaitl but the the org responds by only givng him 56minutes with Drai all season and scratching him time after time and giving very limited minutes. Despite Slepy being a player that would often show skill.

Both Pak and Slepy were completely willing to play bottomsix roles here. But both were upset that the team kept scratching them in games while playing guys like Kassian that just don't care. Both realized this season that the org had no plans for them.

So its the same thing still going on imo.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Because the org still devalues its own prospects. It has since K lowe and MacT have been here. They are still here. At least unconsciously its still going on. Still a feeling that grass is greener elsewhere.

This org STILL doesn't invest in present org prospects. Look at my post in the "insanity" thread for more on that. This org is so bad at developing org players (stlll) that we airlift in tweeners.

I know I keep mentioning this but its relevant. BOTH Slepychev, Pakarinen showed signs of developing here and carving out a niche in play. Both had good moments here and specific uses. Pak on pk, 4th iine, was a solid hitter, very low GA, basically shutdown forward. Whats not to like? Team gets rid of him. To me this was a late bloomer that could have used more time. Instead the team scratched him half the games this year. Same thing with Slepychev. heres a guy that obviously clicked with Draisaitl but the the org responds by only givng him 56minutes with Drai all season and scratching him time after time and giving very limited minutes. Despite Slepy being a player that would often show skill.

Both Pak and Slepy were completely willing to play bottomsix roles here. But both were upset that the team kept scratching them in games while playing guys like Kassian that just don't care. Both realized this season that the org had no plans for them.

So its the same thing still going on imo.
Both showed they were marginal NHL players at best, the team moved on. So I get you're doing this, likely because you're bored, but this is nonsense.

Replacement, enough of this circular stuff, the team moved on from older prospects, like all teams do. Sometimes that comes back to make a team look bad, most of the time in inconsequential.

I can see you spouting the same "stuff" when they let Teemu Hartikainen walk, which was utterly inconsequential.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Both showed they were marginal NHL players at best, the team moved on. So I get you're doing this, likely because you're bored, but this is nonsense.

Replacement, enough of this circular stuff, the team moved on from older prospects, like all teams do. Sometimes that comes back to make a team look bad, most of the time in inconsequential.

I can see you spouting the same "stuff" when they let Teemu Hartikainen walk, which was utterly inconsequential.

BS.

Anybody on this board knows I VALUED the contributions of Pak and Slepy and liked both players and felt they were developing until the team pulled the plug on them. Neither got an adequate chance last season and the org signalled strongly tht both were on the scratch bubble list all season. How could either of these players feel like the org was really invested in either?

In 16-17 playoffs everybody on this board were high on the potential of what Slepy could become. There were fans here ecstatic about it. One year later and the team refuses to play Slepy with Draisailt or give him good looks or even play him ins several games at all. Instead the org only plays him half the games in 16-17 and 50 games last year.

In 15-16. Pak leads the entire team in hits/minute, flirts with the league lead in this category. Is a demon out there and tough to play against, knocks in 5 4th line goals and 13pts in limited minutes in 60 games. The org responds by burying him in the AHL the subsequent season, only ever bringing him up for 14 games, then this season only playing him 4o games.

But its predictable you accept what ever party line and what this club is doing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
BS.

Anybody on this board knows I VALUED the contributions of Pak and Slepy and liked both players and felt they were developing until the team pulled the plug on them. Neither got an adequate chance last season and the org signalled strongly tht both were on the scratch bubble list all season. How could either of these players feel like the org was really invested in either?

In 16-17 playoffs everybody on this board were high on the potential of what Slepy could become. There were fans here ecstatic about it. One year later and the team refuses to play Slepy with Draisailt or give him good looks or even play him ins several games at all. Instead the org only plays him half the games in 16-17 and 50 games last year.

In 15-16. Pak leads the entire team in hits/minute, flirts with the league lead in this category. Is a demon out there and tough to play against, knocks in 5 4th line goals and 13pts in limited minutes in 60 games. The org responds by burying him in the AHL the subsequent season, only ever bringing him up for 14 games, then this season only playing him 4o games.

But its predictable you accept what ever party line and what this club is doing.
So why didn't anyone trade or try sign either of these players?

They are all fringe players, fringe players get passed by a lot. Why this board gets so excited over fringe players I'll never get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So why didn't anyone trade or try sign either of these players?

Not sure why. What I do know is that with players its hard to get serious looks elsewhere if your own team devalued you. Look at players like Aberg or Rattie for more on that. Its quite a common theme where if players are not valued by their own club that another look can take years, or never, to occur.

I honestly think that properly developed, and with hope and belief instilled that there were solid players in Pak and Slepy. Pak already was one. He was fine for the role in which he was played. Tough, hit a lot, played very good on pk, rarely scored against EV.

The thing is this board was saying the SAME thing about Brodziak when the team ditched him years ago. That he wasn't much. Probably you were too. I was a big Brodziak fan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure why. What I do know is that with players its hard to get serious looks elsewhere if your own team devalued you. Look at players like Aberg or Rattie for more on that. Its quite a common theme where if players are not valued by their own club that another look can take years, or never, to occur.

I honestly think that properly developed, and with hope and belief instilled that there were solid players in Pak and Slepy. Pak already was one. He was fine for the role in which he was played. Tough, hit a lot, played very good on pk, rarely scored against EV.

The thing is this board was saying the SAME thing about Brodziak when the team ditched him years ago. That he wasn't much. Probably you were too. I was a big Brodziak fan.
These guys literally haven't proved anything and could be done with the NHl club by x-mas

I personally know Brodziak so I wasn't happy to see him, at the same time he shouldn't have been a hard player to replace. Although for the most part as of late we had guys playing Brodziak's role.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Pakarainen was useless literally a dime a 100 not dozen player, would take Upshall over him 10/10 times

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is always the reality that is sort of hinted at, but largely ignored by some who just need to rail for railing's sake.
Except that as the poster acknowledged the Oilers never did replace Brodziak with a role player that cared as much or did as much. If you disagree who is the better role player that was a character guy that the Oilers had here ever since Brodziak? Its been a lol decade and for reasons like deeming Brodziak expendable. Good clubs hold onto the good players they have. They don't just walk them for nothing. Brodziak when he left here was a GUARANTEED high performance bottomsix play. That was already there. He had already reached that point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Except that as the poster acknowledged the Oilers never did replace Brodziak
I'm sure you might have, but that's not the point you're making. It's why you decry the handling of marginal NHL prospect who aren't with the team anymore. You're just trying to circle this argument back to something that doesn't hold much weight.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Except that as the poster acknowledged the Oilers never did replace Brodziak with a role player that cared as much or did as much. If you disagree who is the better role player that was a character guy that the Oilers had here ever since Brodziak? Its been a lol decade and for reasons like deeming Brodziak expendable. Good clubs hold onto the good players they have. They don't just walk them for nothing. Brodziak when he left here was a GUARANTEED high performance bottomsix play. That was already there. He had already reached that point.
We didn't really replace him immediately, but there have been guys like Gordon and Letustu. Plus I really don't care about 10 years ago.

As of late we've been replacing fringe/broderline role players at a decent rate. Outside of the Hendricks leadership role, which we did go out and try fix this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We didn't really replace him immediately, but there have been guys like Gordon and Letustu. Plus I really don't care about 10 years ago.

As of late we've been replacing fringe/broderline role players at a decent rate. Outside of the Hendricks leadership role, which we did go out and try fix this year.

Brodziak was better than any of those players and has had the better career. That's the reality. Neither Gordon or Letestu can skate like Brodz, neither are as physical or produce as much IN their 4th line role. Letestu would hardly have any pts here without him being plugged into the PP.

I care about the past as it pertains to the present. The org is the same. Remains to be seen how effective the plugging will be this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair to the team Hendricks wasn't going to be on the ice much and they didn't realize how much his "leadership" would be missed.
Oh for sure. But they've learned from that mistake and have added some leadership.

Brodziak was better than any of those players and has had the better career. That's the reality. Neither Gordon or Letestu can skate like Brodz, neither are as physical or produce as much IN their 4th line role. Letestu would hardly have any pts here without him being plugged into the PP.

I care about the past as it pertains to the present. The org is the same. Remains to be seen how effective the plugging will be this year.
Letustu has a better PPG than Brodziak. I'd also keep in mind Brodziak is pretty much a low 20 point per year guy. He only put up 33 points last year as he was thrown into the 2 line center role. Brodizak isn't actually physical either.

If you like Brodziak then there was no real reason to dislike what Letustu brought for most of his time here.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Is Upshall better than the 12th (or even the 13th/14th) best forward on the Oilers? If the answer is yes... then I don't have a problem with him being on the team. I believe the answer is yes but we'll find out for sure at camp... if 13/14 others aren't better than him then I welcome him onto the team as that will make the team better.

That's basically how I approach any addition to the team.

I'd also like guys like Winnik/Stajan/Hartnell as additions as well because they'd also be better than the 12/13/14 F players on the team as well, but I realize there are only so many roster spots and the team wants to leave some room for internal development of players they already have like Caggiula/Khaira/Rattie/Yamamoto etc.

The bottom 6/9 needed an overhaul and hopefully a few new bodies there will help increase the 2-way effectiveness of that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad