Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek Signed to One-Year Contract

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Jon Willis had something earlier on this player when discussing remaining UFA in July:

Left-shooting defencemen

7.11.18-UFA-LD1-List.png

He also said:

"Jakub Jerabek is the toughest player on this list to get a read on numbers-wise, because he’s only played 36 career games and he bounced around, mostly on lefty/lefty pairings. His AHL numbers are good, and he scored in the NHL while not taking many penalties. Even his shot metrics aren’t awful under the circumstances. I’d like to see more.

Best options: Hamhuis is probably still the best all-round defender on this list. Davidson and Jerabek both look like NHL players to me and don’t carry age risk. It wouldn’t shock me to see one of the other veterans – Enstrom, perhaps – show well next year, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if none of them did. "

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
"Whew, the Sekera problem is solved"
A post on Twitter responding to Oilers announcement of the signing.
Made me laugh!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His AHL numbers over a full season would've had him damn near as the leading scorer for the Condors.

At the very least this is adding another guy to give a stretch of games to. Hopefully we are giving 5-10 game stretches to guys and if they succeed they get more, if not the next guy is brought up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meh. Another short left-handed shot. That said, had okay numbers overseas before coming over last year, so maybe there's a player here. Feels like an Auvitu type signing, but with a bit more of a consistent European resume.
The problem from day 1 with Auvitu is he played like Larsen. They didn't go into the tough spots enough. Jakub seems like the same player with the addition of being gritty. Should give him a longer leash than Auvitu had.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
There wasn't room for him in Washington, they brought back Orpik & re-signed Kempny. Orlov and Djoos are their other lefties. Decent with the Caps in a limited role, good depth signing who might still have some upside. Last year was his first year in North America.

Reactions: Sam Spade

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There wasn't room for him in Washington, they brought back Orpik & re-signed Kempny. Orlov and Djoos are their other lefties. Decent with the Caps in a limited role, good depth signing who might still have some upside. Last year was his first year in North America.
Funny how things worked out in WSH. Kempny was a complete shock to what he was able to do. Djoos also came out of nowhere and solidified a spot.

Jerabek is going to know first hand that when/if he gets his shot he better do well. There is always someone waiting right behind you.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am intrigued by this signing. Jerabek doesn't have a lot of NHL experience but he is an older more mature player with some offensive upside. He has been a solid Offensive dman at virtually every level he has played at. No reason to think that he wont fulfill some of that potential in the NHL.
Cheap as well.

Very good risk to take IMO. I think this is a good add.

Reactions: AVE MAN

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I am intrigued by this signing. Jerabek doesn't have a lot of NHL experience but he is an older more mature player with some offensive upside. He has been a solid Offensive dman at virtually every level he has played at. No reason to think that he wont fulfill some of that potential in the NHL.
Cheap as well.

I wonder if this means Sekera won't be gone as long as we think...maybe (hopefully) a decent stopgap with some good upside

surely he's better than Auvitu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is it too much to ask to get another Jan Hejda out of nowhere? Granted it was a different type of d-man, but it would be nice to find a late blooming Czech d-man once again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cheap as well.

I kinda wish this signing would've happened before Sekera went down. This seems like a very smart depth move to make.

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad