Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Superior athlete, very explosive in the net, a very adept puck handler and great size. Good tracker of the puck and an exceptional battler.

He needs to improve his mental concentration and dial back his aggressiveness in the net.
thx man. Do you think he has a legit chance at being habs starter someday?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
thx man. Do you think he has a legit chance at being habs starter someday?

I felt more strongly about it last year than I do this year.. all I will say is that he has all the physical and athletic components to do it, but there are refinements that need to happen and we need to see how he adjusts against better shooters.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So how is his name pronounced?

I assume Jakub is like "Ya-kub" or "Ya-koob" based on him being Czech, but what about the last name? Dob-esh?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I felt more strongly about it last year than I do this year.. all I will say is that he has all the physical and athletic components to do it, but there are refinements that need to happen and we need to see how he adjusts against better shooters.
Habs drafting 3 goalies this year gives me impression they don't have a ton of faith in Dobes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most of us on these boards know of Dobes and some know more about him. When I talk to casual fans, almost nobody knows him. He's flying under the radar to most IMO.

Loads of potential is still there. This is a huge season for him and it appears Laval will have a good team. I suspect he will have good stats.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

80f21bf67f6b3d889283339cd0c78d11.webp

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Dobes played great even though he allowed 6 goals. The team in front of him sucked.

Most of us on these boards know of Dobes and some know more about him. When I talk to casual fans, almost nobody knows him. He's flying under the radar to most IMO.

Loads of potential is still there. This is a huge season for him and it appears Laval will have a good team. I suspect he will have good stats.
I don't know how good Laval will be but one thing for sure, Dobes will face a lot of rubber

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's definitely a nice piece of raw clay to work on in the next couple years. The pro size and athleticism is already there and he seems to be a battler, he never gave up yesterday, even after the team in front of him did. His technique needs a lot of polishing and he can't play the puck at all right now, but this is stuff a good coaching staff can improve on pretty easy.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Score line was not indicative of his play.. the first goal was bad, got caught being over aggressive on Savoie... but multiple ten bell saves, was really promising in there with a team that couldn't play cohesively and was a mess defensively when Trudeau/Reinbacher were absent

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He's definitely a nice piece of raw clay to work on in the next couple years. The pro size and athleticism is already there and he seems to be a battler, he never gave up yesterday, even after the team in front of him did. His technique needs a lot of polishing and he can't play the puck at all right now, but this is stuff a good coaching staff can improve on pretty easy.
It's very obvious that he's more athletic than Primeau. Way faster, more agressive but sometimes to a fault.

If we could turn Montembault into a solid goalie, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to do the same with Dobes. We'll play him and Primeau 50/50 in the first year than he takes on the full time job in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's very obvious that he's more athletic than Primeau. Way faster, more agressive but sometimes to a fault.

If we could turn Montembault into a solid goalie, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to do the same with Dobes. We'll play him and Primeau 50/50 in the first year than he takes on the full time job in Laval.

He's likely the most aggressive goalie prospect I can recall the Habs having. Maybe McNiven who was also very aggressive in net at one point at least. Dobes can be so much fun to watch, for such a big guy with a bit of a temper, i am interested to see him in the AHL to see if he will go back to that as in the NCAA he really seemed to calm down with it but in the USHL he did NOT like getting bumped into. Some of his reactions were great.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Those goalies they drafted might be good in five years.
Habs likely won't be contending until five years from now, with Suzuki as the oldest youngster now in his prime at a fresh 28 years of age.

How anyone can maintain that this very young team -- without a generationnal talent -- will make any serious noise in the playoffs before that is beyond me?

If we have a good G in five years, that should be perfect timing, IMO.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I said this in another thread. I think Dobes is a huge talent - no pun intended. He has all the makings of becoming a stud #1. With my limited knowledge of goaltending, I see his biggest problem as not using his monster size to his advantage. His stance makes him small a lot of the time. He crouches and bends over and does not allow his big frame to fill the net. I'm sure the Habs development team caught that and are working on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00