Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I said this in another thread. I think Dobes is a huge talent - no pun intended. He has all the makings of becoming a stud #1. With my limited knowledge of goaltending, I see his biggest problem as not using his monster size to his advantage. His stance makes him small a lot of the time. He crouches and bends over and does not allow his big frame to fill the net. I'm sure the Habs development team caught that and are working on it.
Dobes had good numbers playing in Big Ten. Ohio State

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dobes played great even though he allowed 6 goals. The team in front of him sucked.

I don't know how good Laval will be but one thing for sure, Dobes will face a lot of rubber
This will only help his development............that said, I think Laval will have a good team.

Jul 6, 2016
This will only help his development............that said, I think Laval will have a good team.
Who's gonna be his partner in goal ? Will Primeau pass thru waivers ? If not, who's left ? Emond ? Strauss ?

Habs likely won't be contending until five years from now, with Suzuki as the oldest youngster now in his prime at a fresh 28 years of age.

How anyone can maintain that this very young team -- without a generationnal talent -- will make any serious noise in the playoffs before that is beyond me?

If we have a good G in five years, that should be perfect timing, IMO.
Molson won't be that patient. Playoffs in 2025 and SC contender in 2027.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Who's gonna be his partner in goal ? Will Primeau pass thru waivers ? If not, who's left ? Emond ? Strauss ?

You have to hope Molson has learned something over the last few decades.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Sure as hell was patient with Bergevin for 10 years and he made this mess.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Why aren’t signing a veteran goalie to a AHL deal, guy like Halak
, which Carolina was looking to sign, even if he is not NHL level he might be a good guy to have around with is NHL and MTL experience to help Dobes along
A guy like Halak would need to want to play in the AHL though but I agree with you. It's obvious they need a veteran goalie since week 1.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Why aren’t signing a veteran goalie to a AHL deal, guy like Halak
, which Carolina was looking to sign, even if he is not NHL level he might be a good guy to have around with is NHL and MTL experience to help Dobes along
He might do it if he's the starter but I don't see Halak, or other vets of his "stature" signing in the AHL to be back up.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A huge oversight by Hughes was not finding a competent AHL Vet to help Dobes.
I am actually surprised they didn't address this.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I'm sure Hughes is somewhat involved with the Rocket but technically Sedgwick is in charge of the AHL if I'm not mistaken.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Maybe they thought Primeau would get through waivers and then as it got closer to the time to send him down, they got information that he would not.

I would expect any type of goalie trade to return one of those waiver vets.

Reactions: Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They could but team D is atrocious. It’s really not a goaltending issue

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm sure Hughes is somewhat involved with the Rocket but technically Sedgwick is in charge of the AHL if I'm not mistaken.
Technically is the key word, Hughes still oversees the player management.

Reactions: bcv

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He might do it if he's the starter but I don't see Halak, or other vets of his "stature" signing in the AHL to be back up.
He could get more as a backup in the AHL than starter in the NHL, he might be the starter but clearly he is there to help Dobes or a other goalies, so he ain’t starting much more than 50% of the games. Also look like a few NHL team are trying to Sign him so having a good showing in the AHL might clear some doubt or help him get more money…

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even Devon Levi faced challenges adjusting to the NHL, so it's not the end of the world Dobes is facing challenges adjusting to the AHL.

He's talented, he's got a good head on his shoulders and he will figure things out.. how much he progresses, we will see, but he has the tools.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad