Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Dobes has fantastic reaction, quickness and athleticism. All things that are very hard to teach.

But he's gotta relax in the net. I've never seen a goalie that moves around as much as he does! It's actually insane lol he's constantly oversliding on passes and then having to waste time readjusting to the angle.

NHL players will light him up as he is right now. He needs more body control and better positioning so he doesn't have to waste so much energy. Once he develops that I think he'll be NHL calibre at least. Sky is the limit with his toolbox. Would be nice to have him and Fowler both competing for #1.

He actually reminds me of Rinne. Rinne moved around a lot too. Both are big, athletic and quick. Save selections/style are similar too.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dobes has fantastic reaction, quickness and athleticism. All things that are very hard to teach.

But he's gotta relax in the net. I've never seen a goalie that moves around as much as he does! It's actually insane lol he's constantly oversliding on passes and then having to waste time readjusting to the angle.

NHL players will light him up as he is right now. He needs more body control and better positioning so he doesn't have to waste so much energy. Once he develops that I think he'll be NHL calibre at least. Sky is the limit with his toolbox. Would be nice to have him and Fowler both competing for #1.

He actually reminds me of Rinne. Rinne moved around a lot too. Both are big, athletic and quick. Save selections/style are similar too.

Good comparison, of course Rinne was a bit bigger as well.

I think they may have loosened the reins on Dobes to let him do what is natural for him to find some success at this level and once his confidence is there, they will work on refining some of that.

But hey Fleury never stopped and had a solid career.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Not much talk about Dobes. At only 22 he is playing very well now for Laval after a rough start to his pro career. He is more athletic than Montembeault and Primeau. We will see, but he may be the next true #1 goalie of the Habs. Still very young for a goalie.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not much talk about Dobes. At only 22 he is playing very well now for Laval after a rough start to his pro career. He is more athletic than Montembeault and Primeau. We will see, but he may be the next true #1 goalie of the Habs. Still very young for a goalie.
Agreed, I wouldn't write him off. He has come around very nicely.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Quick update on Jakub Dobes....he started the year off very rough (all Laval players did) but last night against a 39-9 Hershey Bears team he was outstanding. Very combative, very large, very athletic. We have ourselves a legitimate goalie prospect.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Quick update on Jakub Dobes....he started the year off very rough (all Laval players did) but last night against a 39-9 Hershey Bears team he was outstanding. Very combative, very large, very athletic. We have ourselves a legitimate goalie prospect.
Pretty remarkable that after his horrendous start, he's now edging towards a .900 SvPct (.898) and his GAA is down to 3.20. He's a fun kid to track, and his progression this season has been really impressive after the aforementioned start.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hard to believe how well this kid has rebounded from a brutal start. 21-14-6 with a .903 save percentage don't seem like exceptional accomplishments but over the past 2 months he has been outstanding.

He just needs to stop knocking the net of its moorings. 🤣.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Again, hard to understand why people are not talking more about this kid. He watched many Laval games this season and after a very roughstart with no veteran help, Dobes turned his season around and showed a lot a of great thing. Hey! A 6'05 goalie that is athletic as hell, he improved his puck tracking and he has spectacular lateral movements, powerful and he now controls them better. Habs now have a very good goalies pipeline. Looking at teams like Ottawa or Buffalo, it could make the difference in the rebuild process and it could end up with trade assets because the team would need to chose which one to keep.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm always impressed with his ability to stay square to the shot and minimize his movements at all times. It's funny how Dobes is the exact opposite and always goes 120% on every movement like his life depends on it :laugh:

Yugra win Game 7 4-2 and move to the Semi-Finals, where they will face AKM.

Kostenko with 6 pts (2G, 4A) in 14 playoff games so far.

Fowler is more like Carey Price, where their strength is positioning.

Dobes reminds me of MA Fleury, who is unorthodox and can be seen swimming around and still making the saves.

I think Dobes has some Tim Thomas in him lol.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
You can see the skill and potential in Dobes.

I can see him at the NHL level in the not too distant future, if not a starter, the very least a very reliable backup.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Just like the whole team, he had a rough start to the season. Over his last 34 games he's put up a .918 save % which is very impressive for a rookie playing behind a pretty young defense.

To put into perspective how good that save % is, here is a list of highly touted prospects/high draft picks this year.

Wolf .923 - 35 games
Askarov .915 - 38 games
Wallstedt .912 - 42 games
Cossa .912 - 33 games
Silovs .907 - 33 games
Commesso .906 - 33 games

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Montambault - 26 yo
Primeau - 24 yo
Dobes - 22 yo
Fowler - 19 yo