Player Discussion Jakob Silfverberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I don't think the Ducks can afford 5mil, especially with all the RFAs to sign. With Vatanen hurt it will be interesting to see if anyone picks up his scoring. If not, BM may have to keep Sami. It would not surprise to see Silf and Fowler moved to help with Perron and Vatanen.

John

Congrats you weakened the Ducks team defensively.

What more would it take?

I think #33 would be a better fit in Tampa, than simply being used on a shutdown line in Anaheim.

I want him off Kesler's line, both for his own and Kesler's own good. They have zero offensive chemistry and to be honest, I don't see much chemistry between them at all.

They have decent results shutting lines down due to their individual skill, not due to working great together.

Give Kesler some real offensively skilled wingers for a couple of games, I bet that would help them team way more than that lines is doing now.

Since we're struggling lately anyway, just mix things up. If nothing else, it's good to have something else to fall back on if we hit rock bottom in the playoffs.

Pirri-Rakell-Perry

Perron-Kelser-Stewart

McGinn-Getzlaf-Silfverberg

Santo-Thompson-Cogliano

So the Kesler line is no longer a shutdown type line and Getzlaf will be playing with two forwards who are not that good offensively great way to make it harder to win.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What more would it take?

I think #33 would be a better fit in Tampa, than simply being used on a shutdown line in Anaheim.

I want him off Kesler's line, both for his own and Kesler's own good. They have zero offensive chemistry and to be honest, I don't see much chemistry between them at all.

They have decent results shutting lines down due to their individual skill, not due to working great together.

Give Kesler some real offensively skilled wingers for a couple of games, I bet that would help them team way more than that lines is doing now.

Since we're struggling lately anyway, just mix things up. If nothing else, it's good to have something else to fall back on if we hit rock bottom in the playoffs.

Pirri-Rakell-Perry

Perron-Kelser-Stewart

McGinn-Getzlaf-Silfverberg

Santo-Thompson-Cogliano

So you destroy Kes's shutdown line, you take away the one guy Getz has had chemistry with besides Perry and replace him with two offensively challenged players. You move Cogs to his off wing for some reason and put a weird 4th line of..idk what, those players just don't look good together. Terrible line change.

As for Silf's chemistry, he and Kes have good chemistry, look at the playoffs last year or when Silf remembers he's allowed to score. They are great defensively and when it happens, beautifully offensively. Not sure how you think that line shutting teams down comes to their individual performance and not their combined play.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
How often are we going to bring up the playoffs, he was good but he got smoked now he's not the same player he was, hopefully he can find it again but I can't remember the last time he shot the puck and I thought he was going to score (other than shootout)

I still think they should try him on the left he had success in Ott and he may be able to get his shot off a little better.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So you destroy Kes's shutdown line, you take away the one guy Getz has had chemistry with besides Perry and replace him with two offensively challenged players. You move Cogs to his off wing for some reason and put a weird 4th line of..idk what, those players just don't look good together. Terrible line change.

As for Silf's chemistry, he and Kes have good chemistry, look at the playoffs last year or when Silf remembers he's allowed to score. They are great defensively and when it happens, beautifully offensively. Not sure how you think that line shutting teams down comes to their individual performance and not their combined play.

The Kesler line has no offense because they have cogs on it. Brice knew that would happen when he put cogs on it and that's the tradeoff we made putting cogs on it. Even if they don't score a ton, they help the getz and Perry lines score because they are now going against the other teams 2nd and 3rd lines. I'd love to replace cogs with someone that can score but whoever it is better be excellent on defense because they're going against a 1st line all game. I am more concerned with finding the right fit with rakell/perry and getz/perron.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
How often are we going to bring up the playoffs, he was good but he got smoked now he's not the same player he was, hopefully he can find it again but I can't remember the last time he shot the puck and I thought he was going to score (other than shootout)

I still think they should try him on the left he had success in Ott and he may be able to get his shot off a little better.

Silf is really a question of Ducks structure.

His offense has absolutely vaporized. He isn't generating threat and is not putting up anything that warrants 2nd line play.

We have a center in Kesler who can win faceoffs and shut down opponents, yet is dynamic offensivelly as well. We aren't using that offensive ability of our center. Kesler line could be dangerous on both sides of the rink. Silf does not seem like a component if the Ducks pushed to make that happen.

Im not a coach. I'd rather see a line without Kesler be the shutdown line. It really makes you appreciate how solid Pahlsson was on that 07 3rd line. Winning faceoffs is so important in the modern game.

In a nut shell... I think the Kesler line is overkill "defensivelly". And it should provide offensive flare that that amazing center can bring.

Last edited:

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I just think its too early to write off a player who had 18 playoff points in 16 games. Perhaps he just thrives in the playoffs and is meh in the regular season, can't know for sure until this playoffs.

Jack Bauer DAMNIT

Two Way Defenseman
Nov 11, 2015
Golden State
He seems to be the golden child on this team lately, ie management seems content with his lack of production because he is on the "shutdown" line.

I guess we should wait to see how the rest of of the season pans out/offseason to officially give him that title.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Silf is really a question of Ducks structure.

His offense has absolutely vaporized. He isn't generating threat and is not putting up anything that warrants 2nd line play.

We have a center in Kesler who can win faceoffs and shut down opponents, yet is dynamic offensivelly as well. We aren't using that offensive ability of our center. Kesler line could be dangerous on both sides of the rink. Silf does not seem like a component if the Ducks pushed to make that happen.

Im not a coach. I'd rather see a line without Kesler be the shutdown line. It really makes you appreciate how solid Pahlsson was on that 07 3rd line. Winning faceoffs is so important in the modern game.

In a nut shell... I think the Kesler line is overkill "defensivelly". And it should provide offensive flare that that amazing Center can bring.

If we want to take advantage of Kesler offensively AND defensively we need better wingers. We don't have the wingers to do such a thing would need to trade for such wingers.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Posted this 3 months ago:

Silfverberg is actually having a great season, arguably the best of his career. He's one of the best ducks, just hasn't had the luck

silfverberg.png

I'm vindicated again tonight, 4 points tonight so far

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
About giving him a grade on a scale of 1-10.

Tonight has to be a solid 9.5.

Also. Keep him on the pp.

mytduxfan*

I don't think that Silf was all that great tonight. Looked way better in that game against CGY a few months back. Still, anyone who can score a hat-trick and has 5 two goal games has to be a capable player. Based on this, I wouldn't trade him like some have suggested.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The timing of the recent posts in here about him being offensively challenged and then getting a hat trick is pretty funny. If only he could keep this play up.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The timing of the recent posts in here about him being offensively challenged and then getting a hat trick is pretty funny. If only he could keep this play up.

Hehe, yes I went in here as I saw that he had a great night and thought it could be nice to read some kudos. Ok this thread is at the top, check. Then there is just piling on him and almost nothing about him having a great game. Hockey fans, yay.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
He's been a big part of the shutdown line with Kesler, going head to head against the top line forwards of any given opponent every game, huge on the PK for one of the top PK units in the league, and all he gets is **** on here for not being a 20 goal 50 point player. Glad to see him get a hatty tonight, that should quiet the complaints for a game or two.

He's one of my favorites to watch live, always where he needs to be and so rarely makes mistakes. Glad we have him locked up for three more seasons and hope he's not one of the salaries Bob's thinking of moving to save dollars. I think even buying out Stoner is a more attractive option than wrecking Kesler's monster shutdown line by trading away its second best component.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He's been a big part of the shutdown line with Kesler, going head to head against the top line forwards of any given opponent every game, huge on the PK for one of the top PK units in the league, and all he gets is **** on here for not being a 20 goal 50 point player. Glad to see him get a hatty tonight, that should quiet the complaints for a game or two.

He's one of my favorites to watch live, always where he needs to be and so rarely makes mistakes. Glad we have him locked up for three more seasons and hope he's not one of the salaries Bob's thinking of moving to save dollars. I think even buying out Stoner is a more attractive option than wrecking Kesler's monster shutdown line by trading away its second best component.

That's because he is paid like a 20 goal 45-50 point player and isn't producing like one. Nice to see him have a good night, but let's not get too excited at anything that line did against a couple of AHL goalies.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
He is a great player and a big reason why we have a good shutdown line. I don't get the complaints. What he brings at least is:

- exceptional defensive play
- great penalty killer
- great at shoot outs - how much points did he save per season?
- 15 goals per season

A few years ago Jere Lehtinen was called a 50+ goals player by some coaches because he scores 25 a season and due to his outstandig defensive play the opponent scores so much less. I see Silfv as the same type of player. Not on the same level but very good in what he does. He is also not getting that much of PP time. Kyle Palmeri for instance had almost 2 min of PP time last season. Jakob is getting 0:51 min per average. I mean you can't deny that this also hurts. He has a wicked shot and people want him to score more on this, I understand this. But overall he is very good at what he is.

It just seems to me that some want a player that scores Bobby Ryan numbers due to the trade. That's something he isn't and will never be.

That's because he is paid like a 20 goal 45-50 point player and isn't producing like one. Nice to see him have a good night, but let's not get too excited at anything that line did against a couple of AHL goalies.

He is payed like an elite UFA defensive forward who can put up 15 goals+ a season. Sami Pahlsson got 2.65 per season.

Last edited:

mytduxfan*

3.75M for a 20g - 50 points player? Good luck. Go check that list and tell me who on there is getting paid that or less? The only guys you'll find are ones due a significant raise or those with weak ass D games. Silf is a complete player.

However, I agree, he should be producing more, but he's not paid the going rate for a 20g - 50pt player with elite defensive skills. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad