Player Discussion Jakob Silfverberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 17, 2014
He doesn't seem to be viewed as an important part of this team, do you think he is availible for a trade during the upcoming draft? Last night, for instance, he had the least amount of icetime by far out of everyone in Anaheim (except for Maroon who left with an injury).

What do you think about trading him?

And what would you think would be a fair return?

Last edited by a moderator:

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Silfverberg IS viewed as an important part of this organization, he's just not getting a lot of ice time right now because this team has a lot of good players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
He doesn't seem to be viewed as an important part of this team, do you think he is availible for a trade during the upcoming draft? Last night, for instance, he had the least amount of icetime by far out of everyone in Anaheim (except for Maroon who left with an injury).

And what would you think would be a fair return?

I think he hasn't found his role on the team yet. Right now yes he looks like he is no fit, but maybe this is due to his injury. Maybe he lacks confidence in his wrist or something. I suppose it is possible that he gets traded, but I doubt he is on the market.

Personally I have high hopes for a Silfverberg/Rakell pairing in the future. Swedish 1-2 punch. Maybe with Maroon or DSP on the other wing.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
No... First we should trade Vatanen because we're holding him back from being God and now we should trade Silfv because he isn't putting up great numbers in his second season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think his shot is much worse after the injury, but in a goal yesterday he seemed a bit faster than i remember him.

I highly doubt we are going to trade him in the nearest future.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't know where you are getting this, that he isn't a part of Ducks' future. So he played the smallest minutes in one game, so what? This is a tough year for him, he had a bad injury that hurt his greatest attribute. Remember how good he was before that? Hopefully he returns to that next season.

Anyway, if there is some silver lining, it's that his next contract isn't going to be so expensive as it would have been if he had played the whole season like during the first few games.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

I don't think the organisation agrees with your perception. I am very sure he's viewed as an important part. After his injury, it took him a while to get back to speed, and lately he has been rather snakebit. And our depth is obviously quite an asset, but that doesn't make him expendable. He's still young, very young in terms of his NHL career, and the Ducks haven't been impatient with players in a long time. There'll be more spots opening up over retirement (Teemu, Saku) or potential free agent departures (Winnik).

He is not untouchable, as are few players. But the Ducks don't have a ton of needs. The only realistic scenario for a trade would be as a big piece in a trade for a star player, like Kesler, and even that might be a long shot given that the Ducks have plenty of options to make intruiging packages. There's no reason to view his future on the Ducks as in any way questionable for the near future.

Mar 17, 2014
Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

They were more positive than T imagined they would be:)

He came to the NHL as a sniper but has now turned into a defensive forward. I still see him as a far better player than he has been so far. He dominated the SHL more than a lot of players, who are now stars in the NHL.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He came to the NHL as a sniper but has now turned into a defensive forward. I still see him as a far better player than he has been so far. He dominated the SHL more than a lot of players, who are now stars in the NHL.

I would say he's still very much a two-way forward, not "just" a defensive one. Unfortunately, he was pretty unlucky on the production side for a bit, but it's a good thing that he still is an asset when things are not happening offensively for a while. I think he'll find himself in a good position to get back to scoring more, as well. :)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He was great for Anaheim before the injury. He has looked super dangerous since the Olympics but just couldn't finish which is why seeing his score last night was awesome.

Mar 17, 2014
I would say he's still very much a two-way forward, not "just" a defensive one. Unfortunately, he was pretty unlucky on the production side for a bit, but it's a good thing that he still is an asset when things are not happening offensively for a while. I think he'll find himself in a good position to get back to scoring more, as well. :)

He was great for Anaheim before the injury. He has looked super dangerous since the Olympics but just couldn't finish which is why seeing his score last night was awesome.

Agreed:)

Perhaps you can help me with this question. I Think he's looking faster now, than he was when he came into the NHL - is it only my imagination or has his skating improved?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Agreed:)

Perhaps you can help me with this question. I Think he's looking faster now, than he was when he came into the NHL - is it only my imagination or has his skating improved?

It's only perception, but he even looked a lot faster at the beginning of this month than he did to begin the year. :) I really can't say whether that's just a mirage of sorts. But I think it's safe to say that the Ducks value skating very highly, and there's no doubt to me that they have and will focus on that with him. Whether it's for his ability to find open spots to utilize his shot, or whether it's to help on the backcheck, improved skating has an effect on all aspects of his game. No doubt it will (remain to) be a focus.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He looks faster when he's anticipating the play better. It's the same with Maroon - watching him accelerate from a dead stop brings a train to mind, but during play when he's making reads he's where he needs to be at the speed he needs to be already, meaning someone has to accelerate to catch up to him.

That's what happened on Silfverberg's goal. He read that pass and was mostly at speed when he intercepted it. He's not a fast skater but he's more than adequate so long as he's not trailing the play, which he's starting to do less. Bonino went through the same thing, too.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Silfverberg's skating issues were overblown by Sens fans IMO, he's not Cogliano fast by any means but he's not slow either. If anything his main issue is his balance rather then speed.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i do wish sif had more icetime though.

edit: although actually looking at his gamelog its not bad at all for icetime

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think the organisation agrees with your perception. I am very sure he's viewed as an important part. After his injury, it took him a while to get back to speed, and lately he has been rather snakebit. And our depth is obviously quite an asset, but that doesn't make him expendable. He's still young, very young in terms of his NHL career, and the Ducks haven't been impatient with players in a long time. There'll be more spots opening up over retirement (Teemu, Saku) or potential free agent departures (Winnik).

He is not untouchable, as are few players. But the Ducks don't have a ton of needs. The only realistic scenario for a trade would be as a big piece in a trade for a star player, like Kesler, and even that might be a long shot given that the Ducks have plenty of options to make intruiging packages. There's no reason to view his future on the Ducks as in any way questionable for the near future.

:handclap:
I think this perfectly sums up where the Ducks stand on Silfverberg. Great post!

Mar 17, 2014
With the PP not clicking too well, why not try him on the Point? He has an Amazing shot, but rarely gets to use it, in that position he would. Just a thought. Might not work at all, what do I know:)

Perry-Getzlaf-Maroon (Holmstrom-role)

Fowler-Silfverberg

Rakell/Etem/Beleskey/Palmieri/Selanne-Perreault-Bonino

Vatanen-Lindholm​

Could it work?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Silfverberg is an interesting case. First off I feel like the Ducks aren't feeling any kind of pressure to move him. I think they may have expected a little more from him, injury or not, but it's not like he stunk up the joint.

Having said that the perception of him among posters is fascinating. For one everyone keeps pointing to how well he was playing to start the year. I can't deny he was putting up points but he wasn't playing any different than he is now. He was just Johnny-on-the-spot on most of his goals. A lot keep pointing to his injury as a reason why he hasn't been scoring but I don't buy that at all. It's his skating. He just hasn't been getting to open areas. He's looked a lot better since the Penner trade and really good the last couple. But I also feel like he has this untouchable label put on him because he was acquired for such a high profile player. Personally I have him a little lower than Palmieri and about on par with Etem on the untouchable list. I just get the impression he's a little overrated here.

But by no means should he be traded. I think we're lucky he didn't have a huge season because that'll make re-signing him to a reasonable contract very doable. But he'll need to show a lot of improvement next season.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
With the PP not clicking too well, why not try him on the Point? (...)

Could it work?

They actually did try that, if only for a couple shifts. Not sure which game, but quite recently. (WSH maybe?) It wasn't long enough to really tell whether it can work. Well, and with our PP being so bad, it's hard to tell whether any single thing can work, because even the things that we know can work often do not, this year.

And while we all know his shot is huge, it has been a part of his slump. Maybe it's still a lingering effect of his wrist injury, maybe it's just his cold streak getting his hands a bit tight, but he hasn't been getting his shots off or hitting them like he did to start the season. Probably just a confidence thing, but him going for the fake and five-hole play on his breakaway last night seemed like a bit of a case in point to that. Usually, he trusts his shot in those situations. It was perfectly done, though, and can only help restore his faith. :)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
But I also feel like he has this untouchable label put on him because he was acquired for such a high profile player. Personally I have him a little lower than Palmieri and about on par with Etem on the untouchable list. I just get the impression he's a little overrated here.

To be fair, I have seen very little of such a label over the past couple months.

Mar 17, 2014
I have to say, this fan base is really "nice" compared to a lot of the others on these boards:)

Stamkos & Ovechkin have their favorite spot on the PP - Winding up for one-timers.

If not on the Point, I would like Silfverberg along the left boards, since he's a rightie.

Bonino & Perreault could feed him pucks, along with blueliners like Lindholm & Vatanen, assuming Fowler is on the 1st PP.

Perhaps BB reads these boards ;)

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I think it is fair to say that one: the injury derailed what was looking like a very promising season and two: he has not yet found his role with the team. I don't think his wrist has completely recovered yet and we might have to wait till next season for a full recovery.

Having said that, he has looked much better the past few games (despite being snake-bit) and I suspect he will only continue to get improve. :) He certainly is getting his chances to score, despite fairly limited ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad