Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Correct but given Nylander has two seasons in a row of 60+ points and Virtanen has under 75 points total in his ENTIRE professional career....

Goldobin was on a 50+ point pace earlier. Makes a huge difference if you’re playing with Pettersson or Matthews. While offensively Nylander is much better than Virtanen, Jake’s 2-way game is much better. The gap between them isn’t as significant as it once was. Hopefully Jake can start producing more consistently.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Tableau Public

Actually if you use this site and compare his numbers from
Last year to this year he’s actually worse across the board

His shot contribibution, shot assists, total shots , entry/exit stats are all worse per 60; he’s actually taken a step back but his raw numbers are up cause of an increase in ice time.

(If the link goes to Jake gardiner, just switch the filters to compare Jake V year over year)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Goldobin was on a 50+ point pace earlier. Makes a huge difference if you’re playing with Pettersson or Matthews. While offensively Nylander is much better than Virtanen, Jake’s 2-way game is much better. The gap between them isn’t as significant as it once was. Hopefully Jake can start producing more consistently.

The gap is still as significant. Being on a 50 point pace for a bit and actually getting 60 pints in consecutive seasons is a night and day difference. Prior to getting injured Virtanenes game had dropped again.

While playing with a good player makes a difference...you only get that chance if you are also good.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

The gap is still very significant. In fact, it’s not even close. Closer than it was? Sure, I’ll give you that.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Was curious,

Why not give Virtanen a shot on left wing with Pettersson and Boeser.

1) Jake can provide the protection and physical presence for Pettersson.

2) An alpha playmaker like Pettersson might be able to help a diamond in the rough like Virtanen get to the next level.

3) with Baertschi gone for an extended period of time, it allows Virtanen to move up a bit on the depth chart.

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Agreed he should be in our top 6. And I also am with you on the idea of him playing LW. He can play both but the coaching staff acts like he can only play RW.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Its good to have that expectation of a player drafted 281 spots earlier in the draft.

Yes, but at what point do you just accept that the player will just be as good as he is, and not what he"might" be?

I just see Jake as our version of Colin Wilson. High draft pick, but ended up being a solid bottom 6 guy. If you can get a solid 8-9 seasons of service from Jake, I would be satisfied.

I've just seen too many of the same type of players through the years and people hoping that they would become something more than what they are.

Reactions: F A N

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
He’s gonna have to do a lot more than post stick handling videos on Instagram to secure a spot on the team. Rousell (if he is healthy) and leivo have pretty much leaped over him in the depth chart imo. Not to mention we should be expecting some changes to the lineup next season.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I still believe Virtanen can be become a 25 Goal power forward. I really liked what I saw from him this year when he got to play with Petterson.

Virtanen needs to watch as many clips of Tom Wilson, and needs to get that mean streak.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think Jake needs a fresh start somewhere else. Let someone else do the reclamation project thing for a change. Don't think he's going to do much more than what we've seen, at least not as a Canuck.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
There’s been a clear improvement with Jakes game, just needs to take another step forward next year. I don’t think he’s deserved some of the criticism he’s gotten.

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
I think Jake needs a fresh start somewhere else. Let someone else do the reclamation project thing for a change. Don't think he's going to do much more than what we've seen, at least not as a Canuck.
I hate to say it because I like the kid a ton. We have chatted a few times at different Canucks events and concerts as well. The guy needs to get away from his "Local Buddies", some of those guys are bad influences on him, I have seen it first hand. I feel like some of these guys drag him down to a different level and he doesn't focus on the true task at hand and that's being a professional.

Nov 1, 2011
Jake often looks pretty good.

I think if he just got his shot working a little better he'd score a lot if goals. Creates a good amount of opportunities for himself.

Still should be tried at LW as it plays to his strengths.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What do people think we should do if Jake has essentially the same season as last year, and starts to plateau a bit - i.e. 30 points over 82 games with a hot start?

Do we just hold onto him and hope he keeps getting better? Or trade while he appears to be still improving, even though he could remain a bottom 6 forward that leaves a lot to be desired given his potential?

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
What do people think we should do if Jake has essentially the same season as last year, and starts to plateau a bit - i.e. 30 points over 82 games with a hot start?

Do we just hold onto him and hope he keeps getting better? Or trade while he appears to be still improving, even though he could remain a bottom 6 forward that leaves a lot to be desired given his potential?
Guarantee you that if Jake goes to a different team he would flourish.

He would be the perfect compliment player with Crosby. Probably hit 50-60 points (I know most players would)

With Matt Murray cashing in after this season this might be the last season that the Pens are held together.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

He would be the perfect compliment player with Crosby. Probably hit 50-60 points (I know most players would)

With Matt Murray cashing in after this season this might be the last season that the Pens are held together.

I think Jake's hockey IQ is too poor to play with Crosby, he'd probably just frustrate Crosby.
But Jake's play style would probably be better suited for the East, where he could score off the rush more.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Hornqvist for Virtanen + Roussel?

Boeser - Pettersson - Hornqvist would be a dirty ass line.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Jake could never play with Crosby. Awful match

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Virtanen and Goldy came out of the same draft...and even the most hardened pessimist would have to admit they have improved since breaking into the league. But have they improved enough? Probably not.

But I still think they've both earned a look for at least one more season. If Virtanen could hit 20 goals and bring some truculence to his line; and if Goldy could hit 15 and improve defensively, then this would be something you could live with.

Reactions: DFAC

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Even if Virtanen plateaus at his current levels of offensive production, I would hang onto him and work on his defensive game. Try and turn him into a constructive third liner who can contribute the odd goal, be solid defensively, and provide a physical presence in the lineup. Those guys cost a premium when trying to acquire them later - so it makes sense to develop our own.

He has enough tools to be a positive contributor. I just hope we don’t give up and move on.

Reactions: F A N

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Virtanen and Goldy came out of the same draft...and even the most hardened pessimist would have to admit they have improved since breaking into the league. But have they improved enough? Probably not.

But I still think they've both earned a look for at least one more season. If Virtanen could hit 20 goals and bring some truculence to his line; and if Goldy could hit 15 and improve defensively, then this would be something you could live with.

I agree with your post. But for Virtanen, it's less about him earning a spot next season and more about if it makes sense to trade him while he still has some value. If we could get a 2nd/3rd or a prospect/young player at a similar age as Jake, do we pull the trigger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad