Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Not as 18 year olds but this seems to be a bone of contention regarding Virtanen and McCann and how some feel very strongly that they were rushed into the NHL but not as 18 year olds like Bennett but maybe that is the difference - what ages they were rushed in at cause certainly Virtanen and McCann seem to be fairing well these days compared to Sam. It looks pretty grave for Sam right now

All 3 players were rushed. Virtanen and McCann struggled and got sent to the AHL where they should’ve been in the first place. Bennett was stapled to the 3rd and 4th lines and expected to grow. That’s the difference. Flames were more stubborn.

Reactions: RussianRacket

IgorGonzola

Dec 29, 2019
All 3 players were rushed. Virtanen and McCann struggled and got sent to the AHL where they should’ve been in the first place. Bennett was stapled to the 3rd and 4th lines and expected to grow. That’s the difference. Flames were more stubborn.

I’m just curious, you seem to use it as an excuse why Bennett has busted. All the while Virtanen and McCann seem to be evolving nicely. I think one can only apply that excuse for so long. Just my opinion

Reactions: RussianRacket

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I’m just curious, you seem to use it as an excuse why Bennett has busted. All the while Virtanen and McCann seem to be evolving nicely. I think one can only apply that excuse for so long. Just my opinion
Hello again! I think it can be a combination of factors- Bennett without a doubt was not put into a position to succeed, while the Canucks realized their error with Virtanen (and McCann got a fresh start elsewhere) and played the long game. But when it comes down to it, there is also the factors of what makes up each player mentally, physically, social-emotionally, as well as what kind of player they can be on the ice. Those are also big determinants as to how successful they will be. Remember for years Virtanen was a player with all the tools but no toolbox? But he developed outside of the physical and skill aspect far beyond what Bennett did.

Reactions: IgorGonzola

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately the year that both McCann and Virtanen played for Willie and the Canucks, they were too young to be sent to the AHL. It was either the Canucks or back to junior.

Virtanen was loaned to the World Junior team with disastrous results; and for some unfathomable reason, McCann was held back and didn't get the chance to represent his country.

Looks like both players have come out of the dark place the were in early in their careers, and are now effective NHL'ers,

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00