Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
No, he isn't... The screenshot below breaks down his contract as per capfriendly, there isn't a single portion of it paying 5 million from start to finish. I'm curious where you'd heard he was 5x5 in actual salary.

Willy's best trade value comes anytime in years 3-6 after July 1st, after his salary bonus of 3.5 mil is paid and his salary owed is 2.5 mil on the year. Meaning he'd be owed 20.5 million for the next 4 seasons as of July 2nd 2020. That's absolutely moveable if Nylander returns to his 60 point form next year. It's going to be horrible value if he doesn't post 40 or more points next year and then the contract takes on perceived negative value.

View attachment 182253
Sry, did you read the chart? he only makes .7M base salary on 2nd year, poor willy :rolleyes:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Sry, did you read the chart? he only makes .7M base salary on 2nd year, poor willy :rolleyes:

Speaking from my impression of a Toronto view point, as his current club, until Nylander posts better scoring totals they'd be selling low. His 7 points in 22 games can't be drawing offers that appeal remotely to Dubas.

If you think Dubas sells him off after paying that 8.3 mil bonus without drawing significant ire from ownership, I'd call you crazy.

I just don't see how Nylander moves before his scoring touch is demonstrated again, so his value goes up making the contract look reasonable again.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Gudbranson: 27 years old, career high of 13 points = still learning, tons of room for improvement!

Ehlers, Nylander: 22 years old, half a season of underperforming = past their prime, dead weight contracts.

Ok.
Gudbranson's job is much harder than floating around the wings and trying to suck goals. How was Gudbranson last game against Colorado? How was Virtanen? He had a goal and an assist, how many points did Nylander have on Saturday? Zero, just like most of the season and Sutter will pass him soon. William the Conquerer did have a hit though, it must have been a bone jarring crusher, i hope his victim is Ok. How were Beagle and Rousell? Apparently some still believe those were bad free agent signings. All those bad moves, it's a miracle they're in a playoff spot 3 weeks from the TDL. They sure were singing the praises of JB on the panel last night, refreshing to hear some non- amateurs take on it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gudbranson's job is much harder than floating around the wings and trying to suck goals. How was Gudbranson last game against Colorado? How was Virtanen? He had a goal and an assist, how many points did Nylander have on Saturday? Zero, just like most of the season and Sutter will pass him soon. William the Conquerer did have a hit though, it must have been a bone jarring crusher, i hope his victim is Ok. How were Beagle and Rousell? Apparently some still believe those were bad free agent signings. All those bad moves, it's a miracle they're in a playoff spot 3 weeks from the TDL. They sure were singing the praises of JB on the panel last night, refreshing to hear some non- amateurs take on it.

Gudbranson was horrible against Colorado. He and Pouliot were the worst players on the ice for us. Is this a serious question?

Reactions: geebaan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
JV18 is a better person than he is a player. I read someone saying they are only alive today because JV18 reaches out and visited her when she was severly depressed.

Wasted pick sure, but he’s a great human.

He was also practically everywhere in the community this off season. If the Canucks had a charity event, a fundraiser, or whatever, Virtanen was there. He’s a good guy.

Nice to see him get off the schneid last night. Hopefully he can get on one of his little tears.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Gudbranson was horrible against Colorado. He and Pouliot were the worst players on the ice for us. Is this a serious question?
Please watch the game before you respond, they didn't make any mistakes at all and shut down two of the top scorers in the league. Were you watching at all when Gudbranson cleared the front of the net? Some people seem to forget that this still plays a part in the NHL while counting up their zone entry % specialty stats. Didn't they win 5-1? Wasn't he part of the PK that was flawless? JB's been getting a considerable amount of praise lately and his detractors are on full tilt, doubling down in damage control mode like Donald Trump on Rosie O'Donell. I read the new benning on empty..........What a load of garbage, it's like a school kid wrote it. Anyone that thinks it's clever should be embarrassed and will ashamed when the Canucks win in the playoffs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Keep the Gudbranson talk out of my boy Virtanens thread.

Loved the juke play he put on the Colorado defender last night. When Jake is engaged he's an impact player.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He may never be that 30 goal scorer we wanted...but he has become much better defensively and has size and speed. He isn't a liability out there at all and can play up and down the lines. Would love him to score more of course.
I would argue that his size and speed actually give opposing teams fits. Yes, he will never be a 30 goal scorer. But, if he plays consistently like he has shown in his better games this year, he will be an important part of the future. I have gone from wondering whether he can do it to expecting he will.

Reactions: daddyohsix

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I would argue that his size and speed actually give opposing teams fits. Yes, he will never be a 30 goal scorer. But, if he plays consistently like he has shown in his better games this year, he will be an important part of the future. I have gone from wondering whether he can do it to expecting he will.

Yep, my feelings too.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Speaking from my impression of a Toronto view point, as his current club, until Nylander posts better scoring totals they'd be selling low. His 7 points in 22 games can't be drawing offers that appeal remotely to Dubas.

If you think Dubas sells him off after paying that 8.3 mil bonus without drawing significant ire from ownership, I'd call you crazy.

I just don't see how Nylander moves before his scoring touch is demonstrated again, so his value goes up making the contract look reasonable again.
Leafs is positioning to trade Nylander if they need to trade him (AM or MM's offer sheet).

Anyway, I started to feel that it was unfair to Jake when he was compared to Ehlers and Nylander. The game was changed :popcorn:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

It may be my imagination, but I swear other team's D cough up the puck more often when Jake is engaged in the game - even when Jake is not on the ice.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
That's absolutely moveable if Nylander returns to his 60 point form next year. It's going to be horrible value if he doesn't post 40 or more points next year and then the contract takes on perceived negative value.
Paying $7.5M in cap space for a 60 point player is not good value at all...the contract as it was written was for Nylander to turn into his potential which is to say MORE than a 60 point player on an emerging offensive minded team.

I frankly thinks this looks good on him...he is grossly over-rated and has a terrible attitude on top of that with his "me first" mentality just like his father.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Feels like he’s building chemistry with rousell, those two look great on a line. If only gaudette was with the big club, I loved the way he played with virtanen. A line of those three would be hard as hell to play against.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JV18 is a better person than he is a player. I read someone saying they are only alive today because JV18 reaches out and visited her when she was severly depressed.

...he’s a great human.

Thanks. That's good to know. I remember there was a poster here who claimed he knew him from high school and didn't have good things to say about him. All unsubstantiated of course.

If you go to JV's twitter, it seems he participates on community events quite a bit, especially when it involves kids.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Paying $7.5M in cap space for a 60 point player is not good value at all...the contract as it was written was for Nylander to turn into his potential which is to say MORE than a 60 point player on an emerging offensive minded team.

I frankly thinks this looks good on him...he is grossly over-rated and has a terrible attitude on top of that with his "me first" mentality just like his father.

Again... Can nobody actually be bothered to look up the numbers? Nylander is 6.9 or 7.0 mil in cap (depending on if you round it up or just trunkade) after this year, not 7.5. That's the whole reason I posted initially, in a forum I occasionally peruse, but don't comment in... Because someone was making false statements about caphits.
Screenshot_20190204-174124_Chrome.jpg

I hate Nylander the player, the extension, the hype around him in general and thought the Leafs were a better team without him. My point about the value comes down to how move-able the contract is in the cap era. In years 3-6, it becomes more appealing to a team trying to reach the floor after the salary bonus is paid out on July 1st of each season.

I think Jake is a more useful piece going forward, due to his versatility, assuming he continues to be a 35-45 (as he's currently pacing) point guy a d ability to play up and down the line-up on a reasonable deal. Though Virtanen has underperformed draft expectations by a large margin, I still like what he brings to a lineup.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Again... Can nobody actually be bothered to look up the numbers? Nylander is 6.9 or 7.0 mil in cap (depending on if you round it up or just trunkade) after this year, not 7.5. That's the whole reason I posted initially, in a forum I occasionally peruse, but don't comment in... Because someone was making false statements about caphits.
View attachment 182785

I hate Nylander the player, the extension, the hype around him in general and thought the Leafs were a better team without him. My point about the value comes down to how move-able the contract is in the cap era. In years 3-6, it becomes more appealing to a team trying to reach the floor after the salary bonus is paid out on July 1st of each season.

I think Jake is a more useful piece going forward, due to his versatility
, assuming he continues to be a 35-45 (as he's currently pacing) point guy a d ability to play up and down the line-up on a reasonable deal. Though Virtanen has underperformed draft expectations by a large margin, I still like what he brings to a lineup.

It gets more and more outrageous everyday.

Reactions: timw33

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Amazing mental gymnastics continue in this thread. Look out Biles!

Points and goals actually have a direct tangible impact on winning games. This is the true true.

Skating fast and hits do not.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think Jake is a more useful piece going forward, due to his versatility, assuming he continues to be a 35-45 (as he's currently pacing) point guy a d ability to play up and down the line-up on a reasonable deal. Though Virtanen has underperformed draft expectations by a large margin, I still like what he brings to a lineup.

For someone who started off his post talking about correcting misinformation I find it strange to see Virtanen being listed as a 35-45 point pace player which would seemingly indicate he'd on a pace within that range. He's on a 32 point pace so he's not even pacing at the lower end of that range. Now he has certainly improved his consistency some, and I think he might have that sort of production during a good year. However, it seems more and more to me that in order for him to have that he's going to need to be able to leech off the skilled players.

That doesn't mean he isn't a useful player because he certainly can be. I just don't see high end potential with the player. Nylander not only has that high end potential but he has already done far more than tease that potential (note after last night he essentially has the identical point pace).

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->