Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it comes down to whether you mean a guy who hits 20+ a couple times in his career, or a guy who scores 20+ goals regularly. Both are “20 goal scorers” but have drastically different values to teams. Being able to count on a certain level of production is much more valuable than a Michael Grabner-type where you don’t really know what you’re going to get from year to year. And granted we don’t know which of those Jake is yet, but I get the feeling people are talking about different things when they debate his upside. I don’t think there is much doubt he will hit 20 goals at some point in his likely 10-15 year NHL career, it’s how often he will do it that is more contestable.

All else being equal I don't disagree but cap hit, the way he scores his goals, and utilization counts as well. I think Grabner was simply underrated most of his career. He was basically putting up his goal totals playing on the 3rd line and being on the PK while generally producing at a rate that presented a value for his cap hit. A player can score 20 goals regularly but he may do so in a very streaky manner while being invisible most other nights.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
All else being equal I don't disagree but cap hit, the way he scores his goals, and utilization counts as well. I think Grabner was simply underrated most of his career. He was basically putting up his goal totals playing on the 3rd line and being on the PK while generally producing at a rate that presented a value for his cap hit. A player can score 20 goals regularly but he may do so in a very streaky manner while being invisible most other nights.

Yes, but i think people are arguing specifically about whether Jake will be a 20+ goal scorer “most seasons” i.e. he can be counted on to be in a scoring role, or whether he hits it 2-3 times in his career but is predominantly a 10+ goal scorer. I think we all agree he brings some useful elements to a team’s bottom 6, but the real decider for his value and how is viewed on these boards is whether he develops his skills / game to be a *reliable* goal contributor or not. Hitting 20 goals once or twice in his lifetime may make him technically a “20 goal scorer” (like Hansen) but not what people are hoping for.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
+/- a couple of goals I could see Virtanen being a 15 goal scorer (optimistically) with highs of 20 goals and lows of 10. Ideally he would be a reliable 20 goal scorer, just haven't seen anything that suggests that he could be.

I didn't realize that Virt and Gaudette were paired up so much did so poorly. That is what I would have built the third line around. Don't know if an ideal winger and year Gaudette would be enough to make that line work.

Reactions: DFAC

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Players like Virtanen are needed on a team. He isn't a first or second line player (yet?), but I think he is a great third line player at the moment. Plus he is still young and could improve. That is exactly the type of player I would like in the bottom six. I just have to ignore his draft position, and I can be happy we have this type of player on the team.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Ben Kuzma in the Province today:

"This is a critical season for Jake Virtanen. Is he trade bait or part of the future core?"

"The right-winger hit career highs in 2018-19 for goals (15) and points (25), but he’s in the final year of his contract and probably stapled to a third- or fourth-line role following the additions of Miller and Ferland. The career of Virtanen, the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft, is still punctuated by potential and inconsistency."
png-0312s-canucks-247.jpg

"Virtanen is the club’s fastest skater. He hits like a truck when the spirit moves him and his decisions with and without the puck have improved. He had five goals in his first 14 games last season and passed a career-high 10 goals on Dec. 30."

"After 38 games, he was on a pace for 23 goals but then went 13 games without scoring, and despite being third in team shots, was 11th in shooting percentage at just 9.7 per cent. He was also first in team takeaways, second in hits, and his giveaways dropped from second in 2017-18 to 11th last season."

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'd like to see them give him some opportunity on the PP this season. He's never going to justify his draft position but he should be able to score some goals there with a little more room to open up his shot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, but i think people are arguing specifically about whether Jake will be a 20+ goal scorer “most seasons” i.e. he can be countedon to be in a scoring role, or whether he hits it 2-3 times in his career but is predominantly a 10+ goal scorer. I think we all agree he brings some useful elements to a team’s bottom 6, but the real decider for his value and how is viewed on these boards is whether he develops his skills / game to be a *reliable* goal contributor or not. Hitting 20 goals once or twice in his lifetime may make him technically a “20 goal scorer” (like Hansen) but not what people are hoping for.

And what I was specifically replying to was the claim that you can't score 20 goals regularly most seasons if you are limited offensively or can't generate scoring chances for linemates. My point is that you can. I said that it's anybody's guess as to the type of career Virtanen would end up having.

I then responded to your comment about Grabner. Grabner has scored at a 20 goal pace or better "most seasons" including 3 seasons where he scored 25+ goals while primarily getting 3rd line minutes with little PP time.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Any player scoring 20 goals from bottom-6 icetime with no PP time is basically unheard-of now. That would be an incredible season.

Well he almost did it last season before getting injured so I don’t think it’s too farfetched. With his speed and physicality Jake still has the ability to take over games when he’s at his best. He will likely have much better line mates this year too. There’s still time for him to have a breakout year like Chris Kreider did around the same age.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well he almost did it last season before getting injured so I don’t think it’s too farfetched. With his speed and physicality Jake still has the ability to take over games when he’s at his best. He will likely have much better line mates this year too. There’s still time for him to have a breakout year like Chris Kreider did around the same age.

He got to 15 based on a pile of flukey goals and a lot of icetime with Horvat he’s unlikely to get again this year. If he got to 15 again, that would be excellent.

But really, his production is secondary to *how* he’s playing. If he scores 12 goals but is really moving his feet and showing a quality motor and 3-zone game that makes him a real asset on a 3rd line, that’s a far better season than if he gets to 20 goals with some bounces and good linemates but is gliding around uselessly away from the puck like we saw far too much last year.

Everything with Virtanen comes from his willingness to compete and move his feet.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He got to 15 based on a pile of flukey goals and a lot of icetime with Horvat he’s unlikely to get again this year. If he got to 15 again, that would be excellent.

But really, his production is secondary to *how* he’s playing. If he scores 12 goals but is really moving his feet and showing a quality motor and 3-zone game that makes him a real asset on a 3rd line, that’s a far better season than if he gets to 20 goals with some bounces and good linemates but is gliding around uselessly away from the puck like we saw far too much last year.

Everything with Virtanen comes from his willingness to compete and move his feet.

He had a wicked shot before he hurt his shoulder. Still think he’s an above average NHL shooter. If he moves his feet and plays the way he can and the way you describe a lot more than 12 goals will come of that.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He had a wicked shot before he hurt his shoulder. Still think he’s an above average NHL shooter. If he moves his feet and plays the way he can and the way you describe a lot more than 12 goals will come of that.

At this point it is far more likely he had an unsustainably high shooting percentage in his draft year, which led to unsustainably high goal totals, then his injury causing him to lose his shot.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
At this point it is far more likely he had an unsustainably high shooting percentage in his draft year, which led to unsustainably high goal totals, then his injury causing him to lose his shot.

You can’t just chalk it up to luck in his draft year because he did display some pretty elite goal scoring statistics before his draft as well.

I think management agrees with you in general though considering the players they brought in shows they are not expecting that much out of Jake. As a fan I still see huge potential with him if he can figure out the mental side of the game be more consistent and play aggressively using his tools to the best of their ability.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It’s really, really hard to score more than ~15 goals in this league if you don’t get PP time or top-6 ES usage. It basically doesn’t happen.

As for his shot, we’ve been waiting for 5 years for it and it hasn’t happened.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Grabner seems to score a fair number of empty net goals (likely due to his speed). And he seems to travel alot in the league (kind of like how Brent Ashton got traded so many times). Good PKer. Seems to go invisible often in even strength situations.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s really, really hard to score more than ~15 goals in this league if you don’t get PP time or top-6 ES usage. It basically doesn’t happen.

As for his shot, we’ve been waiting for 5 years for it and it hasn’t happened.

Yep. And when Sutter and Beagle are centering your third and fourth lines the dream of three scoring lines is just that...a dream.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Athletic claims there's a simple solution. Roll the dice by reuniting Goldy and Pettersson with Boeser on the first line; and then moving J.T. Miller into the middle on the third line with interchangeable wingers, which could include Virtanen. Presto. Three actual scoring lines.

Of course that would likely displace Sutter to the wing on the fourth line, but that's the reality of where his game is at right now. And Beagle/Sutter would be two-thirds of the most expensive line in the NHL. And if they added in Eriksson, it would likely be the most dollar bloated line in NHL history.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looking at Brandon Sutters stats...If healthy...he is capable of potting 15-20 goals...

Sutter’s offensive issue is his complete inability to pass the puck. He has a decent shot, hence some OK goal scoring totals, but he’s got massive tunnel vision in terms of shooting vs passing. Not well suited to an offensive role at all.

Reactions: tantalum

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sutter’s offensive issue is his complete inability to pass the puck. He has a decent shot, hence some OK goal scoring totals, but he’s got massive tunnel vision in terms of shooting vs passing. Not well suited to an offensive role at all.
I'm not as down on Sutter as a lot of posters here are..His line mates will most likely be Baertschi/Pearson and Virtanen..That's not the worst case scenario.

The whole offensive 'black hole' bit is over emphasized.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Athletic claims there's a simple solution. Roll the dice by reuniting Goldy and Pettersson with Boeser on the first line; and then moving J.T. Miller into the middle on the third line with interchangeable wingers, which could include Virtanen. Presto. Three actual scoring lines.

Of course that would likely displace Sutter to the wing on the fourth line, but that's the reality of where his game is at right now. And Beagle/Sutter would be two-thirds of the most expensive line in the NHL. And if they added in Eriksson, it would likely be the most dollar bloated line in NHL history.

I think a big obstacle for that would be the optics of Miller as a third line centre after being a marquee acquisition who cost us a hefty price. In that kind of role, he's probably a 40 point player, and might make JB/FAQ look bad. Based on that factor I would think we see Miller riding shotgun with Horvat at ES, and getting PP1 time.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I can't help but think the only reason has wasn't shifted to the wing ten years ago is the name on the back of his sweater. Guy's skillset screams move me to rw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad