Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Nylander is 6.9 or 7.0 mil in cap (depending on if you round it up or just trunkade) after this year, not 7.5.
You are correct, I quickly divided the $45M by 6 years in error...besides, $7m per year cap hit is high for a player who is not showing any consistency and has a chip on his shoulder.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Nylander not only has that high end potential but he has already done far more than tease that potential
Goldie has "high end potential" too...just because a player has potential doesn't make him elite he still has to prove consistency.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Goldie has "high end potential" too...just because a player has potential doesn't make him elite he still has to prove consistency.

Correct but given Nylander has two seasons in a row of 60+ points and Virtanen has under 75 points total in his ENTIRE professional career....

Reactions: timw33

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Is this thread for real right now? Goldobin has high end potential? WHERE?

Nylander hasn’t proven consistency? WHAT?

I’m sure you guys would be the first to complain about us talking about Nylander, yet ya’ll are the only ones to keep bringing him up.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is this thread for real right now? Goldobin has high end potential? WHERE?

Nylander hasn’t proven consistency? WHAT?

I’m sure you guys would be the first to complain about us talking about Nylander, yet ya’ll are the only ones to keep bringing him up.

He is 40th in the league for RW scoring (points per game).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Nylander has two really good season to one down year. The people believing Nylander is actually bad are the ones that likely think Virtanen still has 60pt potential and that “powerforwards take longer to develop”.

Nylander’s WORST year for PPG% is still better than Virtanen’s BEST year for PPG%.

This year is Nylander’s worst production rate, and this year is Virtanen’s best production rate. Nylander also jumped into the season halfway through after not playing any games.

This is going to look incredibly dumb when he finds his groove either this year or once he’s able to actually start the season on time next year. He didn’t fluke into back to back 61pt seasons.

Virtanen is 100% not a better piece moving forward. You guys are wild.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Who are we talking about here? Goldobin or Nylander? There are like three different players being discussed now.

Oh sorry... My bad. Goldobin is playing at a 0.51 ppg clip. Putting him 40th, in his first full NHL season. He certainly has the potential to be a legit top 6er.

But that is as far as Im willing to go.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Oh sorry... My bad. Goldobin is playing at a 0.51 ppg clip. Putting him 40th, in his first full NHL season. He certainly has the potential to be a legit top 6er.

But that is as far as Im willing to go.

That poster did say high end potential and I think Nylander is exactly that. Goldobin as a support player is probably his best but that’s for another topic (and is being discussed as we speak, in the Goldy thread)

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jake is the perfect version of Jannik Hansen for this era of the Canucks. Home-grown and hopefully on a cheap contract. People have to temper their expectations.

Reactions: Love

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Jake is the perfect version of Jannik Hansen for this era of the Canucks. Home-grown and hopefully on a cheap contract. People have to temper their expectations.

Hansen actually knew how to get to the net though.
Jakes’ patented play unfortunately, is to loft a wrister from 5 ft inside the blue line. There are so many times he could cut in after entering the zone, but he can’t figure it out or he’s afraid to.
Then you have Boeser who cuts in, out, in, out and then proceeds to turn it over.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Hansen could legitimately play anywhere in the lineup and have an immediate effect on his line. I don't think Virtanen has that in his game.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Hansen could legitimately play anywhere in the lineup and have an immediate effect on his line. I don't think Virtanen has that in his game.

Hansen had one 20 goal season in 9 years. I am sure Jake has that in his game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen has been a disappointment this season.

Last year, he showed huge improvement from where he was at in Utica in 16-17 and was outperforming and outproducing the 9-10 minutes of 4th line icetime Green kept giving him.

This year his production is up because he’s playing 14-15 minutes often next to Horvat, but his motor, physical play and effectiveness have all dropped. Is back to gliding around and not moving his feet.

Reactions: timw33 and B-rock

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Was curious,

Why not give Virtanen a shot on left wing with Pettersson and Boeser.

1) Jake can provide the protection and physical presence for Pettersson.

2) An alpha playmaker like Pettersson might be able to help a diamond in the rough like Virtanen get to the next level.

3) with Baertschi gone for an extended period of time, it allows Virtanen to move up a bit on the depth chart.

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Last year, he showed huge improvement from where he was at in Utica in 16-17 and was outperforming and outproducing the 9-10 minutes of 4th line icetime Green kept giving him.

This year his production is up because he’s playing 14-15 minutes often next to Horvat, but his motor, physical play and effectiveness have all dropped. Is back to gliding around and not moving his feet.
this is spot on but i would say his puck management and even his passing has made strides. Needs to continue to work on his conditioning it seems. He's far too content as you said gliding through games (lazy) and has stretches where his hands and vision are relatively poor to bad and he's not engaged or inspired to be a difference maker. I get the feeling he's a bit of a party boy and his maturity will hopefully come sooner than later.

He still has impact games and moments just needs to start stringing them together or he might just find himself on the block due to a guy like MacEwen surpassing him and being cheaper. A really positive development of our team having Gaudette MacEwen and Leivo looking like a few guys who can toil in the top9 and thats gonna force him to be better if he wants ice time and a good contract at the end of next season.

Reactions: MS

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

I agree. They should trade him. He doesn't have the hockey sense or hands to ever be "the next cam neely" I'm pretty confident Jake will never put it together because frankly..there isn't much there. Trade him for defensive prospect

Reactions: Mr4legs

Feb 20, 2013

This is a strange statement to make about the guy who leads the team in takeaways and is second among forwards in hits. Not to mention that he is the best Canucks forward on the backcheck.

Maybe it just looks like he is gliding more because he is doing less needless skating around and actually staying in position? Credit Green for that.

Not to mention that he has produced at a first line rate when centred by Bo or EP.

A pretty positive season thus far to be sure.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is a strange statement to make about the guy who leads the team in takeaways and is second among forwards in hits. Not to mention that he is the best Canucks forward on the backcheck.

Maybe it just looks like he is gliding more because he is doing less needless skating around and actually staying in position? Credit Green for that.

Not to mention that he has produced at a first line rate when centred by Bo or EP.

A pretty positive season thus far to be sure.
i dont know about this? And i'm a huge fan

The team is starving for someone to step up and be a scorer with Horvat and Pettersson and he has hardly grabbed and ran with it. More often than not he comes up lame in effort or cannot make intelligent plays to maintain possession. If your expectation was a good 3rd liner then sure he isn't dissappointing but quite frankly i'm with @MS on this one.....kid was drafted to be a goal scorer and he's starting to show a lower ceiling than i had hoped for after becoming good enough to be a regular top9 player

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Its good to have that expectation of a player drafted 281 spots earlier in the draft.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Was curious,

Why not give Virtanen a shot on left wing with Pettersson and Boeser.

1) Jake can provide the protection and physical presence for Pettersson.

2) An alpha playmaker like Pettersson might be able to help a diamond in the rough like Virtanen get to the next level.

3) with Baertschi gone for an extended period of time, it allows Virtanen to move up a bit on the depth chart.

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser
This drives me nuts, they never put him in a position to put up offence. Is the coaching staff taking advice from HFCanucks or something?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Feb 20, 2013
i dont know about this? And i'm a huge fan

The team is starving for someone to step up and be a scorer with Horvat and Pettersson and he has hardly grabbed and ran with it. More often than not he comes up lame in effort or cannot make intelligent plays to maintain possession. If your expectation was a good 3rd liner then sure he isn't dissappointing but quite frankly i'm with @MS on this one.....kid was drafted to be a goal scorer and he's starting to show a lower ceiling than i had hoped for after becoming good enough to be a regular top9 player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad