Player Discussion Jake Virtanen placed on leave of absence from Canucks amid allegations of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
lol what.

before this even story broke the idiot was in the midst of playing his way straight out of the NHL.

There's a long list of players "playing there way out of the NHL" with their off ice behaviour, in many cases well known since their days in junior. How often has Virtanen been a healthy scratch over the past three years?

I'm not holding my breath that anything will come of this. This will be news until it is no longer news.

Isn't that how this always works?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is a bad situation for all involved. At best, he’s a young hockey player that put himself in a potentially bad situation that a more mature person wouldn’t have. Beyond that, who knows? If they agreed to meet, there has to be some responsibility on her part, but if she was mislead and the situation got awkward and he didn’t take no for an answer, then he’s a grade “A” POS who deserves every punishment he gets. Has there been a pattern of behaviour like this for Virtanen? Given that no formal charges have been filed, the Crown prosecutor obviously did not think a conviction was possible, but if more accusations are coming out of the woodwork, then things aren’t going to go away for Jake. Nor should they.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No, I think naming other cases where there was a false accusation does. Because it does. Because people are literally using those cases to do just that.

I'm not saying I think Virtanen is guilty. I'm saying that we should have dignity and respect for the potential victim.

False accusations undermine real victims. Trying to sweep the fact that false accusations happen under the rug undermines real victims because it makes it look like a power game instead of a moral cause.

People trying to further the cause of giving a voice to real victims should be rabidly against all of the above, it's a detriment to the credibility of the cause when they don't.

I'm not saying this is you by the way but this is what social media is doing right now, they are clamoring guilty until proven innocent, they are claiming anyone saying "let's wait for more info" is a virtanen apologist, and that absolutely undermines real victims including potentially this woman.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Depends on if they have kept their same accounts. Since this incident happened in 2017 they could have deleted their accounts by then and recreated a new one, which would have deleted the convos.

The tinder dialog won't matter anyway as it sounds like everything was consensual with that. Its what happened when they met is the issue.
Wouldn’t tinder have access to the conversation logs that could be requested?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is a bad situation for all involved. At best, he’s a young hockey player that put himself in a potentially bad situation that a more mature person wouldn’t have. Beyond that, who knows? If they agreed to meet, there has to be some responsibility on her part, but if she was mislead and the situation got awkward and he didn’t take no for an answer, then he’s a grade “A” POS who deserves every punishment he gets. Has there been a pattern of behaviour like this for Virtanen? Given that no formal charges have been filed, the Crown prosecutor obviously did not think a conviction was possible, but if more accusations are coming out of the woodwork, then things aren’t going to go away for Jake. Nor should they.
Maybe the police are still investigating, and charges come later?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If she had attempted to leave the physical harm could have been far, far worse. Picture what Ray Rice did and you have an idea of what may have been running through her mind. If you've never faced the kind of sexual pressure and threat of physical violence women have I don't think you can properly imagine this sort of thing. I know I can't and have to equate it to the bullying I faced in school to approximate that level of fear and anxiety.

Also, I've got a post saying that I wouldn't be surprised if he did it and equally wouldn't be surprised if he's just a bit of a douche who made a woman feel uncomfortable. So don't attempt to paint me as somebody who's passed any judgment on Jake.

I stopped reading after the first line. “If she attempted to leave it could have been far worse”.
There’s an equal or greater chance if she attempted to leave she would have been able to. At the very very least the same chance as something bad happening which it did anyways.

terrible take.

Reactions: VHF

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Reading this thread makes me understand why rape culture is perpetuated, and why survivors have absolutely zero incentive to speak about their experiences.
Seeing as twitter is tearing him apart and he will probably lose everything even if judged not guilty im not sure why you would even say this.

Reactions: mriswith

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
He's innocent until proven guilty...if its determined that he's acted inappropriately then he's earned whatever punishment is coming his way...if he's innocent and falsely accused, then the accuser should be punished accordingly. Right now it seems like a crap load of baseless speculation and mob mentality going on. Don't believe either side, because without having all the facts you sound like a douche if you are ready to convict or acquit at this point.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Usually I will not comment at all on these.
Just keep a level head, don't judge, that can come later.
Wait for facts. This could be a he said, she said thing NOBODY KNOWS

Now you see to some folks that sounds like I am defending Jake, all I am trying to do is defend a process of finding out stuff.

That said JV's days in Vancouver are likely done now regardless of outcome, JB must be doing hand stands having an asset he can throw away now and have some of the fanbase agree with him.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I stopped reading after the first line. “If she attempted to leave it could have been far worse”.
There’s an equal or greater chance if she attempted to leave she would have been able to. At the very very least the same chance as something bad happening which it did anyways.

terrible take.
If this is the case why do so few women attempt these kinds of escapes from awkward - read kind of rapey - situations? Are they all liars who changed their minds after the facts or do they have some other motive aside from their own safety? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
lots of irrelevant crap here. If she said no and he still forced intercourse, then it’s rape. That’s basically what she alleged.
And if that’s what happened this should be investigated by the police, and prosecuted by the crown.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I've seen some people asking "why didn't she report it earlier?"

Well, considering it can be pretty damn traumatizing to a woman to be sexually assaulted, and especially considering Jake is a wealthy athlete in one of the biggest sports leagues on the continent in a sport practically infamous for having a problem with this kind of thing...

Lots of victims either never even report their assaults or do it a while after it happens once they finally manage to process what exactly happened.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Jesus, so that thing from yesterday actually has legs and wasn't just a random dig on twitter? Shit. Just when you think things can't get worse, they get worse.

If it's from three years ago, then I don't know how it can't be a he said/she said. Not sure what other evidence the cops can gather after all this time. Still, you hope they do a thorough job of it, obviously.

Guys who do this kind of thing once don't do it once. You wonder if there's anyone else out there with a similar story waiting to pile on, and you wonder if the team's given Virtanen special leeway off the ice down through the years, he being Benning's first ever draft pick. Bad situations follow bad management teams around, and this would be just another symptom of the greater problem; the chronic inability to keep a professional workplace. I hope I'm wrong about Virtanen.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Your probably not a gamer, but Alex Howacka (last name spelt wrong), Vic Magnoga (same), and Mike Z have become unemployable solely from twitter outrage. 2 of which were falsely accused and one even (Alex) committed suicide. Mike Z was shit on because he acted like an awkward bdsm virgin when a girl slid into his DMs.
Have you seen the gak show of a case that Vic put forth in his own defense? It was so bad he was all but laughed out of court and it was dismissed in such a way that he couldn't file the same case again due to how baseless it was. If he's an innocent man, and by his own words he isn't, he's doing the worst job of defending himself I've ever seen.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Have you seen the gak show of a case that Vic put forth in his own defense? It was so bad he was all but laughed out of court and it was dismissed in such a way that he couldn't file the same case again due to how baseless it was. If he's an innocent man, and by his own words he isn't, he's doing the worst job of defending himself I've ever seen.
Fine strike that one.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jesus, so that thing from yesterday actually has legs and wasn't just a random dig on twitter? Shit. Just when you think things can't get worse, they get worse.

If it's from three years ago, then I don't know how it can't be a he said/she said. Not sure what other evidence the cops can gather after all this time. Still, you hope they do a thorough job of it, obviously.

Guys who do this kind of thing once don't do it once. You wonder if there's anyone else out there with a similar story waiting to pile on, and you wonder if the team's given Virtanen special leeway off the ice down through the years, he being Benning's first ever draft pick. Bad situations follow bad management teams around, and this would be just another symptom of the greater problem; the chronic inability to keep a professional workplace. I hope I'm wrong about Virtanen.
Way to make this about Benning?

Sad

Reactions: Zippgunn

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
And if that’s what happened this should be investigated by the police, and prosecuted by the crown.
A lot of the time in sexual misconduct cases, charges aren't pressed because there isn't a reasonable chance of conviction. It's an extremely high burden of proof, which it should be. It's difficult to know what the right thing to do or say here is, since we're all outsiders to this situation.

On one hand, the legal system is inadequate in protecting sexual assault victims. This story is all too common for women and when there are people brave enough to share their voice, it involves them being harangued, victim shamed and embarrassed. A lot of women would rather stay silent than to have their wounds open back up again. But on the other, our society is set up in a way where people are getting cancelled regardless of guilt or intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad