Player Discussion Jake Virtanen placed on leave of absence from Canucks amid allegations of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Article says she contacted the police and no charges were made.

If she contacted the police in 2017, then there's credence to this. If she just contacted them recently related to this story, then it becomes much more doubtful and a he said/she said scenario. Johnny Depp has made me wary of how our world operates on these issues...

I don't see where you guys are reading her account of events, I'm missing it.

Even if it's a false accusation, Jake put himself in a position for it to happen. I don't want to see him wearing a Canucks uniform again.
You're joking right?

Blaming someone for getting a false accusation is like blaming a rape victim for how they dressed. "They put themselves in a position for it to happen!!!"

Reactions: bbud

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don’t know any more about this than any of you, and i’m guessing we’ll never know the full truth, just like with dan quinn, geoff courtnall, and so on. (sidenote: man, that trade was something else, wasn’t it? at least iirc garth butcher was pretty solidly exonerated.)

i will say, though, that in cases such as these, it’s important not to take a black and white view of the victim’s motives, if she was indeed a victim.

i’m speaking in general, not about this woman, but going after a payday doesn’t mean that nothing happened. the victim going after a payday doesn’t alleviate the perpetrator’s guilt. going after a payday doesn’t mean the victim no longer has a right to justice. it’s just stupid MrA point deflecting.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
i’m speaking in general, not about this woman, but going after a payday doesn’t mean that nothing happened. the victim going after a payday doesn’t alleviate the perpetrator’s guilt. going after a payday doesn’t mean the victim no longer has a right to justice. it’s just stupid MrA point deflecting.
bringing up "going after a payday" in itself is stupid MrA point deflecting.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If he’s innocent there’s still a path for him to play opening night because he’s under contract and you can’t terminate it. Definitely hope Jake didn’t do it!

Hopefully this investigation is done quick, no need to stress the whole team and league about somebody anonymous online.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Sort of like the Jian Ghomeshi case - the burden of proof on the accuser is much higher in order to see someone actually imprisoned for criminal misconduct. Ghomeshi is pretty much unemployable now in his field in Canada - this is likely the fate of Virtanen, too.
That is a very good analogy.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
People smarter and more versed than us will comb thru every detail and determine fault so let’s hope for a detailed investigation. Nothing against Jake and he may very well be innocent but rape / assault is no joke and every allegation needs to be treated seriously. That being said, from a very very very untrained and ignorant perspective , after reading her account, I see 5 different opportunities for her to have left (now if he didn’t let her etc that’s a WHOLE different story) but she’s uncomfortable as they go to the hotel.... leave ..... she’s uncomfortable as he kisses her on the balcony .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes her pants off .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes his pants off..... leave. By continuing to make out with him.... you’re not helping yourself out of a situation you don’t want to be in.
You realize that for a woman in the company of an exceptionally physically capable man they may not feel as if attempting to leave is safe. For most men, this should be the case, but for somebody who's already pushing your boundaries and not respecting your limits, this could easily escalate things into violence rather than 'just' emotional harm. If you don't understand the psychology that causes many sexual assault victims to simply grin and bear it perhaps you should avoid this thread.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
People smarter and more versed than us will comb thru every detail and determine fault so let’s hope for a detailed investigation. Nothing against Jake and he may very well be innocent but rape / assault is no joke and every allegation needs to be treated seriously. That being said, from a very very very untrained and ignorant perspective , after reading her account, I see 5 different opportunities for her to have left (now if he didn’t let her etc that’s a WHOLE different story) but she’s uncomfortable as they go to the hotel.... leave ..... she’s uncomfortable as he kisses her on the balcony .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes her pants off .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes his pants off..... leave. By continuing to make out with him.... you’re not helping yourself out of a situation you don’t want to be in.
Yes, if there is a criminal trial, all of this will be exploited by his defence counsel. That is why it is so hard for the prosecution to obtain sexual assault convictions with a "beyond reasonable doubt" standard. But the NHL and Canucks certainly aren't bound to that standard. They will investigate and likely terminate his contract for breach of contract. No NHL team will ever sign him again. Too bad Wetcoaster wasn't here - he probably knows/knew the terms of a Standard Players Contract in his sleep - but when I used to practice employment law, I think the Canucks will be in a good position to do that so long as the information they have is sufficiently credible.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You realize that for a woman in the company of an exceptionally physically capable man they may not feel as if attempting to leave is safe. For most men, this should be the case, but for somebody who's already pushing your boundaries and not respecting your limits, this could easily escalate things into violence rather than 'just' emotional harm. If you don't understand the psychology that causes many sexual assault victims to simply grin and bear it perhaps you should avoid this thread.

beyond that, there’s also a strong, and constantly exploited, cultural conditioning that pushes women to ignore their instincts so as not to be “overreacting” or “being dramatic” or whatever other bullshit.

CFan23

Mar 12, 2021
the fact that Virtanen is even a Canuck BEFORE these allegations prove that to be untrue

I should have been a bit more clear and used something like team distracting issues. More like Kassian and his substance abuse, McCann with his dressing room unlikability, potentially Gaudette and being patient zero etc. Virtanen while having his issues being professionally in shape seems to be likeable and prior to these allegations has had no bad PR issues. While I can't prove it obviously, I suspect that if this team had Matthews when he had his "Disorderly Conduct" Benning would have traded him not unlike Boston chucked Seguin when he was AGM there.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Other NHL players have been accused sexual misconduct.

Patty Kane, and The Islanders Goaltender.

In the patrick kane Case, the DA said and I quote........... "It's a bizarre hoax of a case and a dog and pony show." DA never moved forward, as nothing added up with the story.
-
In the Varliamov case he won $250k when he sued her after he was arrested and cleared, after it was revealed she blackmailed him in texts.

should be interesting to hear how this plays out.
who knows.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
It had to be Jake. As sad as this is to say, out of any of our players, Jake is the obvious choice to have a sexual misconduct allegation.

Remember when he "shot his shot" after the twitch streamer stuff?

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017

Classic victim-blaming. No is no, no matter where it happens in the process. Period.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
beyond that, there’s also a strong, and constantly exploited, cultural conditioning that pushes women to ignore their instincts so as not to be “overreacting” or “being dramatic” or whatever other bullshit.
How did Jake and this girl meet anyway? I read she said on the Internet. Is that right? Was it some kind of a singles dating site or something?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Just heard it on the radio, can someone kind enough to explain the difference between sexual misconduct and sexual assault with break the forum rules, plz? TIA.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
When young people meet on
Tinder is there a record kept of their conversation?
Couldn't tell you. Happily married before it was a thing, thankfully.

I just know a lot of these meetups happen on there, and considering they met at a hotel room (allegedly), there was most likely a mutual aim they wanted to achieve that night. That's usually arranged through Tinder or similar apps, not your typical POF/Lavalife tier dating site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad