Player Discussion Jake Virtanen placed on leave of absence from Canucks amid allegations of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I dont know...but she consented to get picked up and go to a hotel room with him...Its going to be a he said/she said type of deal.
In a criminal trial, all of that matters. The issue would be whether or not there is reasonable doubt about consent. But criminal law is not employment law or contract law. The Canucks, if satisfied that the allegations are generally true, can terminate his contract for cause. The NHLPA could try to challenge that but likely would rather avoid taking on such a fight. And once he's out of Vancouver, the nature of the allegations are such that no other team will go near him. Their fans would never allow it and rightly so. I haven't wandered off to the main board yet but I suspect that will be the prevailing narrative.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think you need to draw a distinction between guys like a Ronaldo our own Jake Virtanen. Jake is an NHL player sure but you can't really consider him "high profile".
Totally agree. I was only using his example to show that results don’t automatically indicate guilt or innocence. He practically admitted to performing non-consensual acts but the whole story was forgotten and he continued to play high level football.

It was disturbing and disappointing.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Reading the story online it really looks like it'll be a he said vs she said story. Can't see any legal repercussion taken place even if Jake is guilty.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Even if it's a false accusation, Jake put himself in a position for it to happen. I don't want to see him wearing a Canucks uniform again.

Reactions: RussianRacket

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Reading the story online it really looks like it'll be a he said vs she said story. Can't see any legal repercussion taken place even if Jake is guilty.
That was my initial thought when reading. But who knows, maybe more comes out going forward.

Again, a verdict in court does not automatically mean it didn’t happen.

Reactions: Red and canuckking1

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I know people who went to school with him in Abbotsford and they said he was always a lady man who would sweet talk his way into pleasure even if being told no.

Weather he kept the behaviour up and became more agressive with it. I do not know. I hope it isn't true but if it is let's justice be done.

His family are apparently good people to which is just sad. I said it before but he should of left the Canucks org a while back for his sake. Sad nevertheless though and let's hope for Justice

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianRacket

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hope the RCMP, team and league investigate this thoroughly and get to the truth of the matter.

Disturbing allegations, to be sure.
Bingo,
Awful Allegations, wondering if we will find out exactly what happened here, if anything.
Just a completely Depressing situation all around

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
After all the things that have happened to the team this season..This is like a cherry on top.and yet another public distraction to follow Jake around..Its stupid to jump to conclusions on these things though..The whole Patrick Kane episode comes to mind.

I thought of that and remember how Kane was treated in Vancouver during that time period...

edit: apparently this incident happened in 2017. Wonder how long management has known about this...

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As much as I don't want to chime in about the behavior of somebody I don't know, I will say that Jake has had issues with maturity and decision-making since he was a prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if the allegation was true but also wouldn't be shocked if this was just another in a string of bad judgment calls that look worse than they really are.

CFan23

Mar 12, 2021
The crazy season for the Canucks continues. Jake is his own worst enemy it seems. That's probably it for his time as a Canuck, this regime has shown zero tolerance for perceived character issues and drama.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Even if it's a false accusation, Jake put himself in a position for it to happen. I don't want to see him wearing a Canucks uniform again.

“Even if it is false” I don’t want Jake in a Canucks uniform. Wow. Way to give him due process.

“He put himself in a position for it to happen” by going on a date with a girl or inviting a girl to watch a movie as a 20 year old? If that’s putting yourself in a position then we all have.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why...why...why didn't Benning trade this guy when he had a chance to last summer? Instead he re-signs him, with the team claiming they thought Virtanen had it in him to be a 'top-six' forward replacing Tyler Tofoli.

How did that work out? Tofoli scored his 26th goal of the season last night. Can there be any doubt that this regime is the most incompetent in franchise history? I mean, how can there even be any debate?

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
In a criminal trial, all of that matters. The issue would be whether or not there is reasonable doubt about consent. But criminal law is not employment law or contract law. The Canucks, if satisfied that the allegations are generally true, can terminate his contract for cause. The NHLPA could try to challenge that but likely would rather avoid taking on such a fight. And once he's out of Vancouver, the nature of the allegations are such that no other team will go near him. Their fans would never allow it and rightly so. I haven't wandered off to the main board yet but I suspect that will be the prevailing narrative.

Sort of like the Jian Ghomeshi case - the burden of proof on the accuser is much higher in order to see someone actually imprisoned for criminal misconduct. Ghomeshi is pretty much unemployable now in his field in Canada - this is likely the fate of Virtanen, too.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
As much as I don't want to chime in about the behavior of somebody I don't know, I will say that Jake has had issues with maturity and decision-making since he was a prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if the allegation was true but also wouldn't be shocked if this was just another in a string of bad judgment calls that look worse than they really are.

People smarter and more versed than us will comb thru every detail and determine fault so let’s hope for a detailed investigation. Nothing against Jake and he may very well be innocent but rape / assault is no joke and every allegation needs to be treated seriously. That being said, from a very very very untrained and ignorant perspective , after reading her account, I see 5 different opportunities for her to have left (now if he didn’t let her etc that’s a WHOLE different story) but she’s uncomfortable as they go to the hotel.... leave ..... she’s uncomfortable as he kisses her on the balcony .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes her pants off .... leave. She’s uncomfortable as he takes his pants off..... leave. By continuing to make out with him.... you’re not helping yourself out of a situation you don’t want to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad