Player Discussion Jake Virtanen placed on leave of absence from Canucks amid allegations of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There's now a story in the media that Jake is being accused of sexual misconduct:

Vancouver Canucks player on leave after sexual assault allegation - Bowen Island Undercurrent

The story says that Jake has been placed on leave.

MOD WARNING:

Please keep discussion in this thread to the allegations discussed in the article, or other credible media sources only. Stories from social media, hearsay, or “friend of a friend” accounts are in contravention of our Site Rules and will be removed with further potential action to follow.

This thread will be closely moderated. If the rules cannot be adhered to, it will be closed.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The story says that Jake isn't commenting, as is his right. It also says that the league is aware of the issue and is talking to the Canucks about it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
As stated in the article, at this time - the claim is unsubstantiated.

However, is it true that women are assaulted by men at rates far higher than people want to admit? Yup. Is it true that a significant minority of these claims against high profile individuals are false and it comes out that they were made up? Yup. Does court saying there wasn’t proof beyond a reasonable doubt mean it didn’t happen? Nope. Does a settlement mean it did or didn’t happen? Nope. (Look at the recent Ronaldo/Vegas allegation)

If someone I was close to and trusted came and told me they were the victim of an SA, I’d believe them 100% as I have in the past. But when I don’t know anyone personally and it’s all alleged/unsubstantiated at the time, it’s tough.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
After all the things that have happened to the team this season..This is like a cherry on top.and yet another public distraction to follow Jake around..Its stupid to jump to conclusions on these things though..The whole Patrick Kane episode comes to mind.
Wasn't their also a High profile footballer (american) that had an accusation recently as well? The best is always to wait and see in these cases.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The details of the alleged assault are available online. I don't exactly think it's a "hot take" to state that Jake Virtanen has played his final game in the NHL. Whether he faces criminal charges or not remains to be seen but unless the victim suggests that the details that are now circulating are not true, there is no going back from this. These allegations are very serious. The Canucks will almost certainly be able to terminate his contract for cause. Even if he was a productive player, I think teams would want nothing to do with him after this. I hope the victim finds closure at some point.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
After all the things that have happened to the team this season..This is like a cherry on top.and yet another public distraction to follow Jake around..Its stupid to jump to conclusions on these things though..The whole Patrick Kane episode comes to mind.
While we certainly can't jump to conclusions, the alleged details are very specific and have a ring of truth to them. There needs to be a comprehensive investigation and, yes, Virtanen is entitled to a fair process but it doesn't look good for him right now.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Wasn't their also a High profile footballer (american) that had an accusation recently as well? The best is always to wait and see in these cases.
Ronaldo. He basically admitted that he committed a non-consensual act, but.. nothing really came from it.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dont know the football player..but in the Patrick Kane case..The mother of the victim was manoeuvring behind the scenes the whole time..Not saying that this is the case here, but one has to keep an open mind.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I would assume the next step is having his contract terminated.
They cannot do that until there has been a thorough internal investigation (like the jays did with alomar)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’ve always said Jake appeared to be a likeable decent young guy. Sure I was critical of his on ice play and his commitment to being a professional off the ice. Overweight, and not fit specifically. He’s a young guy, and makes a lot of money. He could be a good player if he would just grow up, an

Reactions: ChilliBilly

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Obviously innocent until proven guilty......I just dont remember another player being the cause of his own problems as much as this guy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
While we certainly can't jump to conclusions, the alleged details are very specific and have a ring of truth to them. There needs to be a comprehensive investigation and, yes, Virtanen is entitled to a fair process but it doesn't look good for him right now.
I dont know...but she consented to get picked up and go to a hotel room with him...Its going to be a he said/she said type of deal.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The reality is if you're a high-level contributor to any organization (NHL or otherwise) your threshold of what an organization will forgive is much higher. Virtanen is a completely replaceable player so something like this very likely hurt him whether it's true or not.

What a trainwreck and completely embarrassing season for the Canucks.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As stated in the article, at this time - the claim is unsubstantiated.

However, is it true that women are assaulted by men at rates far higher than people want to admit? Yup. Is it true that a significant minority of these claims against high profile individuals are false and it comes out that they were made up? Yup. Does court saying there wasn’t proof beyond a reasonable doubt mean it didn’t happen? Nope. Does a settlement mean it did or didn’t happen? Nope. (Look at the recent Ronaldo/Vegas allegation)

If someone I was close to and trusted came and told me they were the victim of an SA, I’d believe them 100% as I have in the past. But when I don’t know anyone personally and it’s all alleged/unsubstantiated at the time, it’s tough.

I think you need to draw a distinction between guys like a Ronaldo our own Jake Virtanen. Jake is an NHL player sure but you can't really consider him "high profile".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad