Player Discussion Jake Virtanen Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Nylander: 0 goals, 2 assists in 7 games

He’s playing awful for Toronto, only getting like 11 minutes of ice time per game and on the 2nd power play unit and making SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS! All I can say is I know who I’d take right now.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I agree. I would honestly love it if you and the mod team would just say no more references to those two in threads about Jake, but I understand why you wouldn't.

I agree this thread has enough Nylander and Ehlers honestly what it really needs is more Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle and Nick Ritchie. So glad we didn’t get those guys!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

He’s playing awful for Toronto, only getting like 11 minutes of ice time per game and on the 2nd power play unit and making SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS! All I can say is I know who I’d take right now.
When Nylander produces better than Jake and Juolevi is getting out produced by the entire draft class

RMB: sToP bRiNgiNg uP oThEr PlAyErS

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

This kind of post is what drives everything right down the crapper.

Other than their draft positions - which at this point, what's done is done so why rehash it endlessly - what the hell do these players have in common? Nothing. So why do we continue to bring them up over, and over, and over again to perpetuate that argument? It completely takes the conversation away from the fact that Virtanen is playing well for this team right here and now.

Jake Virtanen is a player who is playing well for the Vancouver Canucks. Here's a list of things that are unrelated to that: the Arizona Coyotes' ownership situation is unstable. Eugene Melnyk is a lunatic. The Washington Capitals won the 2018 Stanley Cup. William Nylander is having a slow start to the season.

Can we not just be happy with the fact that we have a 22-year-old power forward scoring at a 20-goal clip for us right now?

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC

I'd still take Nylander over him but the gap isn't large enough for me to be disappointed with picking Virtanen. There is something to be said about what Virtanen brings compared to his cap hit vs Nylander and his cap hit. For a team like Toronto, I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Virtanen would be a better fit than Nylander.

Reactions: daddyohsix

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a gut feeling, but Dubas and the Buds may live to regret that Nylander contract. Too much money and term for a kid who basically had one breaktrhough season. Virtanen will be a lot more affordable when he re-ups with the Canucks. Then based on value under the salary cap, the gap narrows between them even more.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
That's true, but he disappeared in last years playoffs. If Jake can put up decent numbers during the season and can really produce in the playoffs, then he may be a better pick than Ehlers in the long run even if he only is good quality for less years than Ehlers. I have followed the team for over 40 years and watched the progress of many prospects. Younger posters tend to write off players too early in my view, many players are just average and then break out later in their careers, like Bertuzzi. Generally power forwards and defencemen take longer to make an impact, although there are exceptions. The jury is still out on most of Bennings picks. If Jake becomes a great 2 or 3 liner, then I will be happy. Let's remember that Horvath was projected as a 3rd line centre! He is the only decent first round pick that Gillis ever made.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This kind of post is what drives everything right down the crapper.

Other than their draft positions - which at this point, what's done is done so why rehash it endlessly - what the hell do these players have in common? Nothing. So why do we continue to bring them up over, and over, and over again to perpetuate that argument? It completely takes the conversation away from the fact that Virtanen is playing well for this team right here and now.

Jake Virtanen is a player who is playing well for the Vancouver Canucks. Here's a list of things that are unrelated to that: the Arizona Coyotes' ownership situation is unstable. Eugene Melnyk is a lunatic. The Washington Capitals won the 2018 Stanley Cup. William Nylander is having a slow start to the season.

Can we not just be happy with the fact that we have a 22-year-old power forward scoring at a 20-goal clip for us right now?
Funny, I've never seen you or another mod write a somber, moralistic post about similarly unhinged and disruptive anti-management statements.

Reactions: Nomobo and CHEESE

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Now, as we take a look at points...oh, oh boy this is really close. Virtanen has played 16 more games than Oshie, so that’s definitely a good comparison.

It’s **** like this that is stopping us from having actual conversation about Virtanen. You guys get upset Nylander and Ehlers are brought up, so now you’re somehow finding new ways to spew the dumbest stats on players that are far and above Virtanen. This is pointless.

I know it’s in good fun and all like you say, but it’s defintelt happening in this thread.
Lol, lighten up it was poking fun at the absurd comparisons...nothing more. The radio bit this was pilfered from was very tongue in cheek as in “Backstrom...never heard of him”.

Love the avatar btw, Captain Bo is a beast.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Just a gut feeling, but Dubas and the Buds may live to regret that Nylander contract. Too much money and term for a kid who basically had one breaktrhough season. Virtanen will be a lot more affordable when he re-ups with the Canucks. Then based on value under the salary cap, the gap narrows between them even more.

Nylander’s floor is a 1st line winger. They’ll have no problems with his contract.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He put up the exact same break through season twice in a row dude, try again.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That's true, but he disappeared in last years playoffs. If Jake can put up decent numbers during the season and can really produce in the playoffs, then he may be a better pick than Ehlers in the long run even if he only is good quality for less years than Ehlers. I have followed the team for over 40 years and watched the progress of many prospects. Younger posters tend to write off players too early in my view, many players are just average and then break out later in their careers, like Bertuzzi. Generally power forwards and defencemen take longer to make an impact, although there are exceptions. The jury is still out on most of Bennings picks. If Jake becomes a great 2 or 3 liner, then I will be happy. Let's remember that Horvath was projected as a 3rd line centre! He is the only decent first round pick that Gillis ever made.
He "dissappeared" ? Huh, he put up the same ppg as Jake is doing right now in the regular season and people are make ludicrous claims as if its something special.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Nylander’s floor is a 1st line winger. They’ll have no problems with his contract.
Could care less if Nylander's bloated ego gets him a good contract, he continues to score 20 or 30 and the leafs win multiple cups...this is about the CANUCKS.

We have a solid core - EP, Bo and Boeser all have elite skill and are natural leaders. The type of players I personally want on my team (Sedins, Nazzy and Trevor before that)....JV, Goldie, Leivo etc...are all complimentary and add value.

Canucks major hurdle is on the back end...forwards look to be holding their own. Hughes can't get here soon enough.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
He "dissappeared" ? Huh, he put up the same ppg as Jake is doing right now in the regular season and people are make ludicrous claims as if its something special.
I'm as weary of these comparisons s anyone but ... he had 0 goals in 15 games. Comparing their ppg is obviously disingenuous.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It was good to see that a poster pointed out that Bennett and Dal Colle were drafted ahead of Virtanen. While we have heard about Ehlers and Nylander for close to 5 years, those names never get mentioned.

I would be curious to know if Flames fans bring Ehlers and Nylander every day since 2014.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Then you either haven't been around here for very long, or you just aren't paying attention. I find either of the extremes people go to on this site to be untenable.
Would you consider an obscenity-laced tirade about how Benning is sub-normal and how winning hockey games is certain to doom the franchise untenable?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It was good to see that a poster pointed out that Bennett and Dal Colle were drafted ahead of Virtanen. While we have heard about Ehlers and Nylander for close to 5 years, those names never get mentioned.

I would be curious to know if Flames fans bring Ehlers and Nylander every day since 2014.
Yeah thats a good point. Or Islanders fans for taking Da Colle. Or even the Hurricanes for not taking Ehlers or Nylander. Probably not the toxic atmosphere that a handful of fans here try to make when the rest of us celebrate Virtanens progress

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Oh boy!

We should discuss Virtanen and his relative draft position!! This should be interesting.

Reactions: Luckylarry

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm loving Jake's game this year. Over the last 3 years he's gone from barely a pro, to a steady pro/borderline NHLer, to a top 9 forward that can score, hit and disrupt possession with his speed and reach. And I love that Roussell seems to be rubbing off a bit on Jake...starting to see some shit disturbing in JV's game.

He's also shown for two straight off-seasons that he has a good recognition of what he needs to improve, and then puts the work into improving it. He's turning himself into a very valuable support piece that can play anywhere in the lineup. Like to see him start getting some PK time at some point, but not atm with the way it's rolling.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Really happy for Virtanen's success this season and how he's been able to rotate throughout the top 9 and remain productive. I see some decent chemistry between him and Gaudette already.

It is pretty asinine to compare him to Nylander. Nevermind the fact that the two of them play completely different styles and offer different qualities and skills, but Nylander is already a two time 60+ point player. He's probably struggling this year because he wasn't playing/practicing with the team for the first 5 months, go figure.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Really happy for Virtanen's success this season and how he's been able to rotate throughout the top 9 and remain productive. I see some decent chemistry between him and Gaudette already.

It is pretty asinine to compare him to Nylander. Nevermind the fact that the two of them play completely different styles and offer different qualities and skills, but Nylander is already a two time 60+ point player. He's probably struggling this year because he wasn't playing/practicing with the team for the first 5 months, go figure.
There is a lot more to building a ?Cup winning team than having super selfish and soft 60 Point wingers. A Cup winner needs the Tom Wilson types of players maybe even more? Jake is maybe becoming a more important player to a Cup winner than Nylander.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There is a lot more to building a ?Cup winning team than having super selfish and soft 60 Point wingers. A Cup winner needs the Tom Wilson types of players maybe even more? Jake is maybe becoming a more important player to a Cup winner than Nylander.

Did Pittsburgh have many "Tom Wilson types" when they won back-to-back Cups?

The game is moving away from physicality and towards speed and skill. I mean, ideally you have both grit/toughness and speed and skill, but the latter is definitely more important given the direction the modern NHL is moving towards. It's a dumb argument to compare them regardless, you can win a Cup with both Virtanen and/or Nylander if you have the right core and supporting cast. Neither of them will make or break your roster, IMO.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did Pittsburgh have many "Tom Wilson types" when they won back-to-back Cups?

The game is moving away from physicality and towards speed and skill. I mean, ideally you have both grit/toughness and speed and skill, but the latter is definitely more important given the direction the modern NHL is moving towards. It's a dumb argument to compare them regardless, you can win a Cup with both Virtanen and/or Nylander if you have the right core and supporting cast. Neither of them will make or break your roster, IMO.
Hockey is a tough game, especially in the playoffs, and will always be. Teams will always need the Virtanen/Wilson type players to win ?Cups. Teams without those players will get pounded. It’s clear that JB picked the right player in Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad