Guys who elevate their game

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The playoffs mostly become a defensive, clutch and grab grind fest. Super passionate hockey, I do love it, but high end offensive skill tends to get neutered, and it's all about gutting out wins and getting garbage goals.

A huge exception, though, is McDavid and MacKinnon. These guys are still utterly dominant in the playoffs, flying around the ice, breaking down defences like crazy, scoring and setting up amazing goals at an unreal rate. They're my top 2 playoff performers.
  • McDavid, past 3 seasons combined: 63 points (19 goals) in 32 GP, and +15. f***ing unreal
  • MacKinnon, past 5 seasons combined: 80 points (35 goals) in 57 GP, and +43. f***ing unreal too

Of course there are others who step it up a bunch too, but the way these guys just absolutely dominate even in the playoffs, and have their skill shine through like crazy under super tight checking, I find that so impressive.

Draisaitl, Makar and Kucherov also deserve mentions as guys who are able to frequently have their elite skill shine through in the playoffs. All have elite numbers, though for me the eye test isn’t quite as impressive with them as with McDavid/MacKinnon - they’re all amazing, but just not quite the same level of “too good for the opposition to contain” vibes as Mc/Mac.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Makar somehow remembered in the playoffs that he could be that guy offensively. I missed seeing these coast-to-coast play. Are we getting back Conn Smythe Makar just in time? :sarcasm:

Lehkonen is probably the better answer though. The guy is just so clutch in the playoffs and already was with the Habs.
He wasn't actually, one clutch goal but that was about it. He was often scratched as well. He was just good defensively

Reactions: Spilot23

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
John Druce

Dammit.

It's been said but Eichel. Through 4.4 series, Eichel is not only the guy who steps up and stirs the drink for Vegas, but he's the only guy who has consistently put up a high level effort in every playoff game the Knights have played since getting him. I had the misfortune of being in the building for Edmonton's blowout win in game 2 last year. After goal 3 or 4, the entirety of Vegas' roster mentally checked out except for Eichel who kept giving it his all every shift.

That willingness to battle every time he hits the ice has made him a favorite of mine over guys who have been on the team longer.

Eichel was a beast knocking out the Oilers last year.

Reactions: HanSolo

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Believe it or not, and I guess its good there are no Habs fans reading the playoff threads, but Jesperi Kotkaniemi has been noticeably good in all 4 games so far. Physical, big hits, no brain dead mistakes and good puck control.

Kotkaniemi, and I'm not even joking. Regular season, he was a healthy scratch passenger. But this year and last year in the playoffs, he's been one of our more consistent performers. Hits heavy, gets involved in the forecheck and backcheck, get himself into some greasy areas to get surprising shots on net. Pretty much the exact kind of glue guy you want in the playoffs.
Kotkaniemi was great in the playoffs for Montreal. Much like both of you described. Made good decisions at both ends, makes plays, hard shot, and lays out some solid hits.

Reactions: thebestnic

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Anthony Beauvillier
career regular season = .21 gpg .24 apg .45 ppg
playoff career = .30 gpg .28 apg .58 ppg

Good to see he's still continuing step up his play in the playoffs with NSH.
15 regular season GP with NSH = 1g 2a 3p
5 playoff GP with NSH = 1g 1a 2p

Reactions: miscs75

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
For the Leafs, Morgan Rielly is the only one that fits this bill for now... He's been a bit mediocre this year so far, but every other year he's been one of our best players in the playoffs.

Hopefully Woll and Knies keep going, their strongest performances have been in the playoffs as well, but way too small of a sample size at the moment. Nobody else qualifies at the moment. Bertuzzi is surprisingly top 10 in ppg in the playoffs (partially due to small sample size).

Obviously McDavid, Mackinnon, and Draisaitl have unreal offensive numbers, but there's a few othrr guys that stick out when you sort by points per 60 in the playoffs... Guentzal, Kadri, Point, and Verhaeghe are all top 15 (min 20 games played) while not being considered really that close to being a top 15 forward and most of them providing more than just offense.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kotkaniemi was great in the playoffs for Montreal. Much like both of you described. Made good decisions at both ends, makes plays, hard shot, and lays out some solid hits.
False he was often scratched and played very limited and sheltered minutes

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pierre Engvall seems to turn into a guy who cares once the playoffs start. Last year he looked solid and this year he’s playing like he cares.
A lot of people dunk on the contract rightfully so but I noticed him this playoffs in a major positive way.

Guy rises up.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
A lot of people dunk on the contract rightfully so but I noticed him this playoffs in a major positive way.

Guy rises up.
Islanders fans did the same thing with Josh Bailey. He had some monster playoffs too. If Pierre can bring the playoff intensity to the regular season, he’ll be a solid player going forward. He actually threw a few hits this year which is completely unlike him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Anthony Beauvillier
career regular season = .21 gpg .24 apg .45 ppg
playoff career = .30 gpg .28 apg .58 ppg

Good to see he's still continuing step up his play in the playoffs with NSH.
15 regular season GP with NSH = 1g 2a 3p
5 playoff GP with NSH = 1g 1a 2p
Could have used Beau this year on the wing vs Carolina.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Drai #2 all-time playoff PPG
McJesus #3 all-time playoff PPG
MacKinnon #6 all-time playoff PPG
Rantanen #7 all-time playoff PPG
Makar #16 all-time playoff PPG

All of these guys absolutely light it up in the playoffs. PPG goes down as the player declines, but damn impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad