Player Discussion Jake Virtanen Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Either way, people need to stop whining about Ehlers/Nylander being brought up, and then continuously bring them up. They are better.

I agree. I would honestly love it if you and the mod team would just say no more references to those two in threads about Jake, but I understand why you wouldn't.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
11 goals are nice but my favourite part about Jake this year is he's still quite effective when he's not scoring.

He's consistently doing the little things that help teams win games. He's backchecking hard, blocking shots, throwing hard hits, and using his speed on the forecheck to create problems for the other team's breakout. His dramatically increased effectiveness without the puck is what gives me the most confidence in his game moving forward because we already know he has the talent to snipe goals. We saw it in his draft year, he can really rip the puck. He's never going to be as good of a playmaker but he's making good passes here and there every game too. This combination of skills in his game is making him one of those players you can win with.

Reactions: VintageBure

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
"LUCK is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

-Roman Philosopher, Seneca

"They dont ask how..they ask how many "

- beerleaguers at 8rinks

Both quotes , ironically describe Virtanen's massive growth this season

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
Still not 0.5 ppg.

I Just can't get excited over a 3rd line winger
Lol. There's more to the game than points.

I just can't comprehend how some people refuse to acknowledge Jake's improvements. It's insane. He's such a better player than he was last year. He's using all his tools to be better in every facet. Backchecking, forechecking he causes problems very often. Defensively he is stronger, he isn't floating out there. He's scoring more because all around he has gotten better.

And he's still getting better. You can't get excited over a not even .50 PPG player is because you're not looking at the whole player. Just the same as people couldn't get excited over future 3C Bo Horvat. And yet he here is in his 5th season at 23 playing like a 1C. The point being is JV18 is still getting better too!!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I'm excited if he becomes a consistent 20G 45 point player with a good two way game. This was a guy whose floor was out of the league and whose ceiling at one point not long ago was perhaps 3C 20-20, after a few years of slow development. And that was being very optimistic.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I just can't comprehend how some people refuse to acknowledge Jake's improvements. It's insane. He's such a better player than he was last year. He's using all his tools to be better in every facet. Backchecking, forechecking he causes problems very often. Defensively he is stronger, he isn't floating out there. He's scoring more because all around he has gotten better.

And he's still getting better. You can't get excited over a not even .50 PPG player is because you're not looking at the whole player. Just the same as people couldn't get excited over future 3C Bo Horvat. And yet he here is in his 5th season at 23 playing like a 1C. The point being is JV18 is still getting better too!!

This is the part where people get really vague.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You want to discount small samples of stats from last years playoffs but then inlude a small segment of Virtanens season to say it was just a hot streak. Thats convenient

You say its not a steep incline but his production is on target for an 80% increase and thats without recognition of his improved defensive play and better consistency.
I want to dismiss a small sample of playoff stats because there is a massive sample of regular season stats to look at. People drawing conclusions about 7 or 15 playoff games when there is 172 points over 236 games (0.72ppg) and 138 points in 185 games (0.74ppg) to glean from.

Again, I've already stated I'm quite happy with him. I was quite happy with him last season. I don't really see much different in terms of defensive play other than some more pucks are going in. I'm happy with that, I'm just calling what I see.

Can you maybe elaborate on the improved defensive play thing? What is he doing different?

One thing I can say has changed is that he's made a concerted effort to be better on the boards and on the cycle, its just that he still looks uncomftable in those situations, which is fine because he's never had to play that style his whole life.

And I'll reiterate to separate me from the fluke points people, I don't care if they're flukes, they all count, even the empty netters and I'm happy he's producing more, but if you take away the stats it's still relatively the same game and that's ok, because he's proved himself a valuable member of the team (which he did last season as well).

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Ultimately, I like Jake for the role of 2nd/3rd energy winger who can maybe get 20 goals, but also provides speed, size, a willingness to engage on the physical side of things, and a growing defensive game over us having to go and get that guy through UFA where we historically overpay. He isn't the piece we hoped for, but he's a complimentary piece.

Yes, Nylander and Ehlers provide more points, and that is valuable... but Jake is a good fit on this team, and seems to be growing into his role finally. That's valuable too.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The biggest change in Virtanen's game this season is that he is making smarter decisions with the puck. I've noticed that instead of the Mason Raymond-wrap around every time he enters the zone, he's button hooking and looking for passes to the slot or the point - something that has resulted in a few goals. And he still generates plenty of break-in chances using his speed to blow by defenders.

In his own zone, he's tracking the play better when the other team is set up in his own end, and he has always been reasonably good at breaking up plays while the other team is rushing the puck due to his speed.

Being on a 20-goal pace while developing his hockey IQ and becoming a competent player in his own end bodes very well for us. He's becoming a good hockey player, and one this team needs.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
H&B just had a funny bit on 1040 regarding shotgun. These two are idiots...lol.

Players that Virtanen now has more goals then:
TJ Oshie
Max Pacioretty (done)
Nick Backstrom (who?)
Mitch "Nutcracker" Marner
Taylor "MVP" Hall

Who needs Tarasenko??? (the Canucks do...did you see the talent and drive blowing past Gaudette on his goal...WOW).

All in good fun of course, but it is nice to see one of our own finding success.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I want to dismiss a small sample of playoff stats because there is a massive sample of regular season stats to look at. People drawing conclusions about 7 or 15 playoff games when there is 172 points over 236 games (0.72ppg) and 138 points in 185 games (0.74ppg) to glean from.

Again, I've already stated I'm quite happy with him. I was quite happy with him last season. I don't really see much different in terms of defensive play other than some more pucks are going in. I'm happy with that, I'm just calling what I see.

Can you maybe elaborate on the improved defensive play thing? What is he doing different?

One thing I can say has changed is that he's made a concerted effort to be better on the boards and on the cycle, its just that he still looks uncomftable in those situations, which is fine because he's never had to play that style his whole life.

And I'll reiterate to separate me from the fluke points people, I don't care if they're flukes, they all count, even the empty netters and I'm happy he's producing more, but if you take away the stats it's still relatively the same game and that's ok, because he's proved himself a valuable member of the team (which he did last season as well).
Sure i agree with your first point but it has some relevance just like your point about a hot streak does. Players do typically have hot streaks though and as were seeing with Jake i think it's more than just a hot streak to start that is propping him up which was my whole point. His game is on a steep upward trajectory and the stats bare it as does the eye test to me.

At the end of last season you could see he was starting to figure it out and at times could be electric but still wasn't getting decent results and was erratic. Now he's starting to add consistency and the game is slowing down for him.....he's still a work in progress and is definitely still a tier under the draft comps but the gap is considerably smaller and if he played like the last couple games most of the time not a soul would be lamenting not having Ehlers or Nylander on Horvats wing instead.

I see a lot different. Progression in positioning, shot selection, patience, puck protection, conditioning and improved half wall play and overall awareness. The aforementioned is why Travis has enough confidence to use him in important defensive situations where in the past he would be stapled to the bench.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Ultimately, I like Jake for the role of 2nd/3rd energy winger who can maybe get 20 goals, but also provides speed, size, a willingness to engage on the physical side of things, and a growing defensive game over us having to go and get that guy through UFA where we historically overpay. He isn't the piece we hoped for, but he's a complimentary piece.
THIS...100% is why we should all be happy with Jake Virtanen...you are bang, on this is typically the type of player we OVER pay for via UFA market.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Still not 0.5 ppg.

I Just can't get excited over a 3rd line winger

This "3rd line winger" is 4th in goals on our team, and 5 in points, while having significantly less TOI than anyone ahead of him.

And before you say the Canucks are bad and he'd be a 3rd line player on a good team, he'd be as follows in goal scoring.

5th on the Lightning
4th on the Leafs
5th on the Jets
5th on the Flames
2nd on the Predators
3rd on the Sabres
4th on the Avalanche
2nd on the Capitals
4th on the Sharks
1st on the Ducks
2nd on the Bruins
4th on the Golden Knights
4th on the Blue Jackets
4th on the Habs
5th on the Penguins
4th on the Oilers
3rd on the Islanders
4th on the Canucks
2nd on the Stars
4th on the Wild
2nd on the Rangers
2nd on the Red Wings
4th on the Senators
2nd on the Hurricanes
3rd on the Flyers
4th on the Panthers
2nd on the Blues
1st on the Coyotes
4th on the Blackhawks
2nd on the Devils
1st on the Kings

List is as the current standings are on December 21st. The top teams in the entire league at the top he is no worse than 5th in goals scored. He's a top 6 goal scorer on any team in this league. That's not my opinion that is a fact.

31 NHL teams, 4 Top 6 wingers per team.
If at the end of the season Jake Virtanen is in the top 134 of scoring among wingers, he is a top 6 winger. Remember he is doing this playing with Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Granlund etc.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
For FURTHER reference,

The previous 3 Stanley Cup winners Top 6 wingers

2018 Capitals
Ovechkin 49
Oshie 18
Connolly 15
Wilson 14

2017 Penguins
Sheary 23
Kessel 23
Hornqvist 21
Rust 15

2016 Penguins
Kessel 26
Honqvist 22
Kunitz 17
Hagelin 10

Virtanen is on pace for 23.7

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Well said.

Not to sound like a broken record, but in last night's post-game show on AM650, Alex spoke about the developments in Jake's thought process on the ice. It is very encouraging.

And along different lines, I am a tiny guy who's played a lot of lower level hockey over the years. Us tiny guys can turn it "on" at will, we have to or we would have been killed long ago, back in the day when hitting from behind was not only legal, you could be benched if you passed up the opportunity. But big guys don't seem to be able to have it "on" at will/all the time. It is very rare. And thank goodness, or the odds of me getting through Midget without a season ending injury would have been even less. I lost 2 left wingers to separated shoulders in my first year of Midget.

If big guys can be "on" the majority of the time, that's great, their size and reach mitigates those times they aren't "on". And a big guy who shoot can be effective (see Sandlak) and a big guy who can shoot and skate can be a very useful piece.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This "3rd line winger" is 4th in goals on our team, and 5 in points, while having significantly less TOI than anyone ahead of him.

And before you say the Canucks are bad and he'd be a 3rd line player on a good team, he'd be as follows in goal scoring.

5th on the Lightning
4th on the Leafs
5th on the Jets
5th on the Flames
2nd on the Predators
3rd on the Sabres
4th on the Avalanche
2nd on the Capitals
4th on the Sharks
1st on the Ducks
2nd on the Bruins
4th on the Golden Knights
4th on the Blue Jackets
4th on the Habs
5th on the Penguins
4th on the Oilers
3rd on the Islanders
4th on the Canucks
2nd on the Stars
4th on the Wild
2nd on the Rangers
2nd on the Red Wings
4th on the Senators
2nd on the Hurricanes
3rd on the Flyers
4th on the Panthers
2nd on the Blues
1st on the Coyotes
4th on the Blackhawks
2nd on the Devils
1st on the Kings

List is as the current standings are on December 21st. The top teams in the entire league at the top he is no worse than 5th in goals scored. He's a top 6 goal scorer on any team in this league. That's not my opinion that is a fact.

31 NHL teams, 4 Top 6 wingers per team.
If at the end of the season Jake Virtanen is in the top 134 of scoring among wingers, he is a top 6 winger. Remember he is doing this playing with Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Granlund etc.

Do the point total when you have a moment

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
H&B just had a funny bit on 1040 regarding shotgun. These two are idiots...lol.

Players that Virtanen now has more goals then:
TJ Oshie
Max Pacioretty (done)
Nick Backstrom (who?)
Mitch "Nutcracker" Marner
Taylor "MVP" Hall

Who needs Tarasenko??? (the Canucks do...did you see the talent and drive blowing past Gaudette on his goal...WOW).

All in good fun of course, but it is nice to see one of our own finding success.

Now, as we take a look at points...oh, oh boy this is really close. Virtanen has played 16 more games than Oshie, so that’s definitely a good comparison.

It’s shit like this that is stopping us from having actual conversation about Virtanen. You guys get upset Nylander and Ehlers are brought up, so now you’re somehow finding new ways to spew the dumbest stats on players that are far and above Virtanen. This is pointless.

I know it’s in good fun and all like you say, but it’s defintelt happening in this thread.

Reactions: Canadian Club

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s **** like this that is stopping us from having actual conversation about Virtanen. You guys get upset Nylander and Ehlers are brought up, so now you’re somehow finding new ways to spew the dumbest stats on players that are far and above Virtanen.

Who are "you guys"? Actual conversations are hard to be had when posters resort to labeling or categorizing posters rather than debating their points.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's trending very nicely.
Can't wait to see him next year and the yr after...
Health permitting, his prime will be an absolute thing of beauty...

He'll be the crowd favorite for all new post-2014 draft Canuck fans in the next couple years.

too hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad