Player Discussion Jake Virtanen Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Yeah the Tom Wilson/Virtanen comparisons never really made a ton of sense to me, they aren't that similar.

Wilson has far more physicality/nastiness in his game, Virtanen isn't as much of a physical player as people seem to think. A more apt comparison on the Capitals for Virtanen is Brett Connolly IMO.

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Happy and relieved that Virtanen is showing he's becoming a solid asset for the team, and he still has growth potential and a valuable and unique combination of speed, power, and he's showing work-ethic and maturity.

At this point using Wilson as a proxy for Virtanen is silly given that Virtanen so far isn't showing the same mean streak, it might not be his game in the end.

It strikes me as idiotic saying that even if Virtanen and Wilson are the same (and they're not) that somehow makes a Wilson-type player more valuable to winning than a high-end skill scoring player. You want both, but you need high level scoring more.

And it's beyond silly to argue that somehow Baertschi and Nylander/Ehlers are the same, let's honestly try going to any board and offering a 2nd for Nylander/Ehlers and see what happens. Like seriously. Baertschi was available for a 2nd because he's not nearly as good as Nylander/Ehlers, how can one pretend that we wouldn't notice that.

And as has been said multiple times (and conveniently ignored multiple times), how many Wilson's did Pittsburgh need? And was Wilson more valuable to Washington than their dominance in scoring skill?

Waiting...

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I just dont see the nastiness or big hits in Jake’s game. He always lets up right before a big hit

He has the capability to make the hits, see it every few games or so. I have a feeling we're not seeing it as much as in his first year as Green probably doesn't want to risk the penalties.

Feb 24, 2017
Happy and relieved that Virtanen is showing he's becoming a solid asset for the team, and he still has growth potential and a valuable and unique combination of speed, power, and he's showing work-ethic and maturity.

At this point using Wilson as a proxy for Virtanen is silly given that Virtanen so far isn't showing the same mean streak, it might not be his game in the end.

It strikes me as idiotic saying that even if Virtanen and Wilson are the same (and they're not) that somehow makes a Wilson-type player more valuable to winning than a high-end skill scoring player. You want both, but you need high level scoring more.

And it's beyond silly to argue that somehow Baertschi and Nylander/Ehlers are the same, let's honestly try going to any board and offering a 2nd for Nylander/Ehlers and see what happens. Like seriously. Baertschi was available for a 2nd because he's not nearly as good as Nylander/Ehlers, how can one pretend that we wouldn't notice that.

And as has been said multiple times (and conveniently ignored multiple times), how many Wilson's did Pittsburgh need? And was Wilson more valuable to Washington than their dominance in scoring skill?

Waiting...
I think it’s silly calling virtanen our wilson because wilson is the much better hockey player at this point in time. Never mind the nastiness. Wilson is better than Jake in every way save for maybe straight line speed and shot velocity?

And I LOVE SHOTGUN JAKE

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
He has the capability to make the hits, see it every few games or so. I have a feeling we're not seeing it as much as in his first year as Green probably doesn't want to risk the penalties.

Teach him to do so clean use his size and speed he only needs to hit hard once in awhile players watch video its the fact he can so you move quicker force passes make mistakes because it does intimidate .
I hope he continues to pick his spots play smarter than the Wilson's and Reaves of the league.
Playing dirty giving cheap shots and getting a reputation automatically puts you on watch we have enough issues with officials.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think it’s silly calling virtanen our wilson because wilson is the much better hockey player at this point in time. Never mind the nastiness. Wilson is better than Jake in every way save for maybe straight line speed and shot velocity?

And I LOVE SHOTGUN JAKE

Shotgun Jake huh? Doesn't sound bad, doesn't sound bad at all.

This came up when I googled "shotgun jake", and...I have no words...
5ae7a9d42000002e00b90180.png

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah the Tom Wilson/Virtanen comparisons never really made a ton of sense to me, they aren't that similar.

Wilson has far more physicality/nastiness in his game, Virtanen isn't as much of a physical player as people seem to think. A more apt comparison on the Capitals for Virtanen is Brett Connolly IMO.

And that's probably the type of career Shotgun Jake is going to have.

If only he could process the play as fast as he skates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad