Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson 5th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sure we made it to the Finals while Muckler was the GM but the team was pretty much all holdovers from the previous regime. He then went on to strip the cupboards bare.

He did make Murray the coach which I think was a very good move. But he inherited a team bursting with talent and left one that had a few good vets and next to no prospects.
Not to mention his drafting was terrible, but he was a nice man.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

He usually doesn’t know what’s he talking about but he’s praising our boy so now he does know what’s he’s talking about

Lol it’s true. I think he’s been mostly wrong on prospects he ‘fawns’ over. Big proponent of Colin White and the jury is still out on him. I remember him pumping the tires in the real deal jimmy vesey and he was full of shit there. Hell he thought last year Cody Ceci was the better player between him and Zaitsev. So this is slightly concerning....

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I always like listening to McGuire. He is interesting and has some views he is not afraid to share. I may not always agree with him, but do listen.
I listen to him every morning and the quality of his input has gotten really bad. He basically shies away from giving any original opinion and tows the politically correct line almost always. So essentially just regurgitating stuff we already know. It’s disappointing since I’ve been listening to him for more than 10 years, and I feel now it’s only out of routine and not anything of value. I get the sense even JR and the TSN1200 gang get a bit frustrated with him.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I listen to him every morning and the quality of his input has gotten really bad. He basically shies away from giving any original opinion and tows the politically correct line almost always. So essentially just regurgitating stuff we already know. It’s disappointing since I’ve been listening to him for more than 10 years, and I feel now it’s only out of routine and not anything of value. I get the sense even JR and the TSN1200 gang get a bit frustrated with him.
Guy hasn't said anything relevant in about 5 years, if not more.

Reactions: SensHulk

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ferraro compared him to Jay Bouwmeester. I'm 100% fine with that but also imagine if Bouwmeester's prime was in today's NHL.
Jay Bouwmeester Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Yeah, i definitely see the comparison, although JayBo had a cannon of a clapper compared to Jake. Both effortless skaters who are defensively sound. Guys that contribute to a team's offense but don't show up on too many highlight reels.

It's a huge win if we get a Jayke Sandmeester.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I see his offensive upside coming not through flash, but through constantly breaking up plays in the neutral zone and d zone, and moving the puck towards offense through skating and smart passing. Occasional well-timed rushes and pinches, as well as shots for tips. Not tons of goals, but plenty of assists. I see him in the 30-50 point range depending on the year.

His ability to control the game with his defense, controlled zone exits, passing and rushing will be extremely valuable. Likely anchors a PK unit, 2nd PP, playing 23-26 minutes a game.
This pretty well nails it. People don't normally talk about elite passing outside of the Spezza type "dangle-to-pass" plays or the thread the needle finesse plays.

Jake does the meat and potatoes passing perfectly. Very hard, tape-to-tape passes pretty much every single time. Everything he does is just smart, it's safe and it's crisp. It's a subtle thing, but it's processed calmly at high speed, and these things matter for offensive outcomes in a game. His impact is going to be on adding more O-zone time, but that's not a stat people can measure well.

Normally I wouldn't bank on a guy adding more skill to his game, but I think Jake has all the raw tools to be that guy.

Thats a huge homer take, obviously :)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, i definitely see the comparison, although JayBo had a cannon of a clapper compared to Jake. Both effortless skaters who are defensively sound. Guys that contribute to a team's offense but don't show up on too many highlight reels.

It's a huge win if we get a Jayke Sandmeister.
Sanderson has a cannon, he just needs to be able to get it off more often.

He definitely needs to learn to use his shot more effectively, he’s able to get snap and wrist shots through for tips but hasn’t regularly been able to get off his shot more frequently.

Him being able to let a canon like that off at 18 tells me it’s something that can be developed in the coming months/years, especially as he adds another ~10+ pounds of muscle.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
am i the only one who would be disappointed if Sanderson only became a #2 or #3 defensive d. maybe disappointed is the wrong word as that is still a very valuable piece. but his upside is just so much higher.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Sanderson has a cannon, he just needs to be able to get it off more often.

He definitely needs to learn to use his shot more effectively, he’s able to get snap and wrist shots through for tips but hasn’t regularly been able to get off his shot more frequently.

Him being able to let a canon like that off at 18 tells me it’s something that can be developed in the coming months/years, especially as he adds another ~10+ pounds of muscle.

Am I the only one who remembers when Chabot's shot was never called a shot, and always a muffin? Heard the name "Brian Lee" a whole lot from a vocal group of fans in those early days. People seem to really underestimate how much an 18 year old D can grow offensively, especially one who doesnt need to work on the "details" of the game to the extent that literally 99.9% of DMen his age do.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Am I the only one who remembers when Chabot's shot was never called a shot, and always a muffin? Heard the name "Brian Lee" a whole lot from a vocal group of fans in those early days. People seem to really underestimate how much an 18 year old D can grow offensively, especially one who doesnt need to work on the "details" of the game to the extent that literally 99.9% of DMen his age do.
I was very critical of his shot. It sucked. He kept trying weak wristers that dont work at the pro level.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was very critical of his shot. It sucked. He kept trying weak wristers that dont work at the pro level.

To be clear, I wasn't saying his shot didn't need significant work. It was an element that was very clearly going to limit his offensive impact at the NHL level if it didn't improve. My point was that a smart and hard-working young player can quickly turn a weakness into a weapon. Not that Chabot has an elite shot, but he is more than capable of using it to produce.

Reactions: NB613

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
am i the only one who would be disappointed if Sanderson only became a #2 or #3 defensive d. maybe disappointed is the wrong word as that is still a very valuable piece. but his upside is just so much higher.

How many "#1" defensemen are there in the league, and who in your definition is a #1 d-man? I think people are making a little too much about where he was drafted, in my opinion there is a huge gap between drafting #1 or #2 overall and then the rest (#3 included). Most years you are hard pressed to land a franchise type player outside the top 2 picks so there is no need to downplay the significance of drafting a "#2 or #3" defenseman at #5 overall.

If Sanderson was projected to be a #1 franchise d-man, then he would have been ranked higher much like previous d-men to be drafted before him like Hedman, Ekblad, Dahlin...etc.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
To be clear, I wasn't saying his shot didn't need significant work. It was an element that was very clearly going to limit his offensive impact at the NHL level if it didn't improve. My point was that a smart and hard-working young player can quickly turn a weakness into a weapon. Not that Chabot has an elite shot, but he is more than capable of using it to produce.
Yep agree 100%

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How many "#1" defensemen are there in the league, and who in your definition is a #1 d-man? I think people are making a little too much about where he was drafted, in my opinion there is a huge gap between drafting #1 or #2 overall and then the rest (#3 included). Most years you are hard pressed to land a franchise type player outside the top 2 picks so there is no need to downplay the significance of drafting a "#2 or #3" defenseman at #5 overall.

If Sanderson was projected to be a #1 franchise d-man, then he would have been ranked higher much like previous d-men to be drafted before him like Hedman, Ekblad, Dahlin...etc.

good points but would you be okay with having drafted say Noah Hanifin at 5 in 2015?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

When I actually went to work and lived in Ottawa I listened to him every day. I thought he was well informed on player development and GMing even if he is unwilling to speculate a lot. Sports radio in DC sucks.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
good points but would you be okay with having drafted say Noah Hanifin at 5 in 2015?

I was never a huge Hanifin fan to begin with, but he was definitely the highest ranked defenseman that year, so the surprise was not that he went 5th overall but rather that he dropped to 5th instead of 3rd or 4th (he was expected to go higher than 5th if I recall correctly). The other two d-men that went top 10 in 2015 were Provorov (7th) and Werenski (8th).

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad