Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson 5th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was never a huge Hanifin fan to begin with, but he was definitely the highest ranked defenseman that year, so the surprise was not that he went 5th overall but rather that he dropped to 5th instead of 3rd or 4th (he was expected to go higher than 5th if I recall correctly). The other two d-men that went top 10 in 2015 were Provorov (7th) and Werenski (8th).
"the Hanislide"

Provorov and Werenski are great!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
good points but would you be okay with having drafted say Noah Hanifin at 5 in 2015?
I don't really get this kind of question, Hanifin was undoubtably the top ranked dman that year, the fact that in retrospect other players turned out better doesn't change that and carolina doesn't draft him thinking he'll end up just an ok top 4 d.

We picked Sanderson thinking he has the chance of being one of the top 5 players from this draft, if he turns out not to be that will be somewhat disapointing but not surprising, your drafting 18 year old kids and a lot can happen, but it won't change the potential he had when drafted.

Reactions: bert and HzH

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Could you make an argument that in 5 years the Sens could have the best Canadian born and American born Defencemen in the game?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hanifin was never going to be a high-end offensive guy, but I think his offense probably stagnated as a result of being playing in the NHL full-time at 18.

Hope we take our time with Sanderson. He's probably good enough defensively to make the league now, but another year developing his two-way game at North Dakota would be best for his development.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't really get this kind of question, Hanifin was undoubtably the top ranked dman that year, the fact that in retrospect other players turned out better doesn't change that and carolina doesn't draft him thinking he'll end up just an ok top 4 d.

We picked Sanderson thinking he has the chance of being one of the top 5 players from this draft, if he turns out not to be that will be somewhat disapointing but not surprising, your drafting 18 year old kids and a lot can happen, but it won't change the potential he had when drafted.
I think I remmeber some college focused guys saying they preferred wereenski

R2010

May 23, 2011

Only around 20-30 top six/top four players get drafted per year and probably only around 5-10 top 6/top 4 players each year. The way I look at it is you're hoping to net a top line/pairing player if you're picking in the top 5. If there's other 'better' options long-term then fine because there's always some player drafted lower who has a hell of a career but your goal is to pick the player with the highest certainty of being a top end player if you're in that range.

Seider (as a great example) is probably not going to be a top 5 player in the draft class by most metrics but I bet detroit felt more confident in him being a top line player than other alternatives at their position.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think I remmeber some college focused guys saying they preferred wereenski

Hanifin was the early choice for the #3 guy after McDavid and Eichel, but later on in the year there were some doubts about his game and there were definitely a few scouts that liked Provorov and/or Werenski more.

He was playing college hockey at 17 with a man's body and was a great skater. Hard to pass on after being so highly touted all year.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
When I actually went to work and lived in Ottawa I listened to him every day. I thought he was well informed on player development and GMing even if he is unwilling to speculate a lot. Sports radio in DC sucks.

same here in San Jose. However I’ve been able to keep up with the TSN1200 podcasts, you should be able to easily get them. Better quality and no ads so it’s better than actually listening in Ottawa if you’re OK not listening live.

Reactions: NB613

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
He said DEFENCEmen, not OFFENCEmen. Or at least that's what I learned from what Kings/Blues/Habs/Preds fans said when discussing Karlsson.
Well, take a look at who wins the Norris and you'll get an idea on what is required. 40-50 points won't cut it. Guys like Karlsson and Josi have won with big offensive years (and solid two-way numbers), while even players like Hedman had to get to the 60-70 point range to be in the conversation. Even a guy like Chara had to hit 50 points and around 20 goals, while being known as clearly the best defensive d-man in the league.

Basically, offensive numbers are the biggest prerequisite.

While possible, unlikely either is regarded as best for their respective countries. That said, it would be pretty cool and perhaps even likely to see both as part of the top pairings for US and Canada at a World Cup or Olympics, and perhaps Brannstrom ends up in the top 4 for Sweden too.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hanifin was the early choice for the #3 guy after McDavid and Eichel, but later on in the year there were some doubts about his game and there were definitely a few scouts that liked Provorov and/or Werenski more.

He was playing college hockey at 17 with a man's body and was a great skater. Hard to pass on after being so highly touted all year.
Oh I like hanifin.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd be pretty content if Sanderson turned into a Hanifin type player
Eh. I’m not totally sure what hanifins issue is. He puts up decent points. He definitely has flashes of being a good defender. And then.... not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A elite shut down defender that can provide decent offence is very hard to come by...In fact they are far more rare than a OFD...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya'll realize a blueliner can be quite good offensively WITHOUT putting up many points...right? A guy who is great at delivering a strong and accurate first pass out of the zone rarely gets an apple from it, but he's often the guy doing the hardest and trickiest job in the entire sequence before the goal.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ya'll realize a blueliner can be quite good offensively WITHOUT putting up many points...right? A guy who is great at delivering a strong and accurate first pass out of the zone rarely gets an apple from it, but he's often the guy doing the hardest and trickiest job in the entire sequence before the goal.
Or a guy that wins the battle in the corner to move the puck out of the zone,stands a forward up at the blueline to break up a rush...Many many things that often dont show up on the scoreboard but makes a defensive core great

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Or a guy that wins the battle in the corner to move the puck out of the zone,stands a forward up at the blueline to break up a rush...Many many things that often dont show up on the scoreboard but makes a defensive core great

Exactly. Or the guy who is actively straddling the blueline and keeping himself open in the offensive zone, who forced the opposing winger to cover him, leaving more space open down low for your forwards to work.

All those high IQ plays and moves that don't show up on the scoresheet, but are vital on the ice.

We've seen Sanderson do quite a few over the course of the WJC. Kid is still pretty raw of course, but that vision and IQ, along with some good timing and ice water in his veins are crystal clear.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exactly. Or the guy who is actively straddling the blueline and keeping himself open in the offensive zone, who forced the opposing winger to cover him, leaving more space open down low for your forwards to work.

All those high IQ plays and moves that don't show up on the scoresheet, but are vital on the ice.

We've seen Sanderson do quite a few over the course of the WJC. Kid is still pretty raw of course, but that vision and IQ, along with some good timing and ice water in his veins are crystal clear.
Yep very rare, type of defender...If he hits,I dont know if we can call Chabot the best defenseman on the team without question anymore...Nice problem to have though

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino