Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson 5th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It's less about point production and more about how they play and the skills they possess.

In a 50+ game season things even out and the cream rises to the top, but in a 5-7 game tournament there can be significant outliers with production not matching the eye test.

Drysdale had less points than Guhle and Schneider, and the same amount of points as Barron, but it was obvious from watching him that he's far more talented and has higher offensive upside. Same for Harley who somehow only had one point.
I was making that comment because sometimes people reduce offensive skills and upside to point production. That if a player doesn't put up a ton of points in a tournament like the WJC that it implies more limited skills. I see this kind of interpretation as misleading and inaccurate.

I agree that Drysdale likely has higher offensive upside than Sanderson but I also think that Sanderson has much higher defensive upside and that the offensive gap will not sufficiently compensate for the gap in defensive ability. I believe Sanderson will be the much more valuable player between the two in the long run.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There's questions about his offensive ability because he showed very little offensive ability at the WJC. Part of that was his role playing on the shutdown pairing with Helleson, part of it was a lack of confidence to rush the puck and jump into the play as an 18YR old, but part of it was also that his lack of high-end puck-handling ability was apparent, especially against better teams when he had little time and space.

There are valid concerns about his hands, just like there were about Brady, who is absolutely not a phenomenal puckhandler. Have no idea how you'd come to that conclusion watching him the past two seasons. There's also little hope that either will get significantly better at handling the puck. You can't teach talent and if they don't have the puck on a string after 10-15 years of training by professionals and skills coaches (benefits of being an NHL player's son), it's highly unlikely that's going to change now.

If Sanderson had high-end talent on top of all his other assets he would have been our pick at #3 instead of Stuetzle. He's not perfect. There are legitimate concerns about how well his offensive game will flourish at the NHL level, but that doesn't mean he's a bad pick at 5.

He showed plenty of offensive ability. I'm not saying he is on Karlsson's level or even Chabot's, I don't think he is. But I absolutely saw a defensemen who could develop to make a significant impact offensively from the back end. I don't think you could ask for much more from a 18 year old defensemen at that tournament. I'm not suggesting he will be a 70 point defensemen but I think he has the potential to consistently be around the top 30 scoring defensemen.

Brady's puck skills aren't about going through or around defenders, it's about maintaining control in the tight areas and he is absolutely phenomenal at that. It's probably the skill that makes him most effective, his entire game is centered around playing in high traffic areas.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think Sanderson's is a bit less refined, especially in his turns. Nieds was butter like EK. Sanderson has the ability but his body rocks more when he is skating.

I agree but it doesn't seem to affect his ability to get around. That's all I care about at the end of the day.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think Sanderson's is a bit less refined, especially in his turns. Nieds was butter like EK. Sanderson has the ability but his body rocks more when he is skating.

EK was explosive in his stride though, and he did not shift his hips the way Sanderson does, which is similar to Neidermayer in that sense. If you notice Sanderson's strides are short but quick and he manages to move around with ease.

Karlsson had a wider stride and would get low when he skated and pumped with his knees more than Sanderson does. Surprisingly, Sanderson is a pretty shift skater too for a guy his size, he definitely has the ability to stop and turn on a dime.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
EK was explosive in his stride though, and he did not shift his hips the way Sanderson does, which is similar to Neidermayer in that sense. If you notice Sanderson's strides are short but quick and he manages to move around with ease.

Karlsson had a wider stride and would get low when he skated and pumped with his knees more than Sanderson does. Surprisingly, Sanderson is a pretty shift skater too for a guy his size, he definitely has the ability to stop and turn on a dime.

he looks like he shuffles a lot.

Detroit in a re-draft take Sanderson #4. L.A. maybe takes Stutzle #2. Ottawa’s looking at Byfield and Drysdale, completely different vibe.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
he looks like he shuffles a lot.

Detroit in a re-draft take Sanderson #4. L.A. maybe takes Stutzle #2. Ottawa’s looking at Byfield and Drysdale, completely different vibe.

I'm not saying I'd be disappointed with a behemoth that can skate like Byfield, but it's hard to imagine us not having Stutzle right now - as I'm sure we're all super excited. Drysdale vs Sanderson I'm pretty indifferent about changing personally, although Sanderson's shutdown abilities are pretty impressive already.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was making that comment because sometimes people reduce offensive skills and upside to point production. That if a player doesn't put up a ton of points in a tournament like the WJC that it implies more limited skills. I see this kind of interpretation as misleading and inaccurate.

I agree that Drysdale likely has higher offensive upside than Sanderson but I also think that Sanderson has much higher defensive upside and that the offensive gap will not sufficiently compensate for the gap in defensive ability. I believe Sanderson will be the much more valuable player between the two in the long run.

He showed plenty of offensive ability. I'm not saying he is on Karlsson's level or even Chabot's, I don't think he is. But I absolutely saw a defensemen who could develop to make a significant impact offensively from the back end. I don't think you could ask for much more from a 18 year old defensemen at that tournament. I'm not suggesting he will be a 70 point defensemen but I think he has the potential to consistently be around the top 30 scoring defensemen.

Brady's puck skills aren't about going through or around defenders, it's about maintaining control in the tight areas and he is absolutely phenomenal at that. It's probably the skill that makes him most effective, his entire game is centered around playing in high traffic areas.

Two good posts & I couldn't agree more.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Why? I'm sure QB was flexing some serious primary culture in Team Canada's dressing room.

Seriously though I doubt anybody is changing their minds over a handful of games. Some LA scouts might be starting to get some butterflies in their stomach though.
Ya I shouldn’t say for sure haha I don’t know that’s just my opinion. I just can’t help but think the Kings wouldn’t jump at the opportunity for Stuetzle to pay on Kopitars wing this season.

Also plus the fact that Stuetzle looked far far superior to Byfield in the World Juniors. Like they belonged in different leagues.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ya I shouldn’t say for sure haha I don’t know that’s just my opinion. I just can’t help but think the Kings wouldn’t jump at the opportunity for Stuetzle to pay on Kopitars wing this season.

Also plus the fact that Stuetzle looked far far superior to Byfield in the World Juniors. Like they belonged in different leagues.
They literally could have jumped at that opportunity lol. Less than 100 days ago/7games ago

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No. Not for sure. Whatever they felt about byfield it didn’t change after 7 games. Half of which byfield was actually quite good lol.

It does bring up some questions about where he should play this year to optimize his development. He struggled to handle the puck for anything more a few brief touches vs most teams.

I wonder how much his camp is pushing for NHL time this year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly the kind of player we need right now.
Always go with BPA though, and nothing says we didn’t do that as well.
Super excited.

At the time of the draft I think the consensus BPA at #3 was Stutzle, but at #5 was not Sanderson.

I just hope he does not turn out like Bobby Orr. :)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No. Not for sure. Whatever they felt about byfield it didn’t change after 7 games. Half of which byfield was actually quite good lol.

I thought Byfield was very good game 1 (exhibition) vs Russia and just okay vs the Swiss. He stopped hitting after the first Russian game. His puck handling and protection should be a concern. Lots of time to develop it but I can’t see him developing that at the nhl level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad