Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson 5th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Wasnt true though, trying to save the legacy of a good friend. They never made an offer to Chara, Chara called him over and over and he didnt answer. Anyway back to Sanderson, best game of the tournament for him at the right time. Showed alot more physicality than the rest of the tourney, was great to see.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what Mlakar stated on the radio. I always considered Roy a straight shooter, if he says Chara's agent never got back to him, I trust him. I do think Muckler's prior move of trading Hossa led to Chara's ultimate outcome, but that's not the same as "choosing Redden over Chara".

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
So what you're saying is that we need to make another Duchene trade?

Yeah, I will wait and see if any of our young prospect will ever match Duchene's production, especially his time in Ottawa

I rank Duchene trade one of the best trades we did. Not his fault if the whole team including the organization turned into a clown show after that. Losing Methot, not improving our biggest weakness, which was our defense core. Not handling Karlsson and Hoffman and letting it destroy the locker-room, and so much more

h2

Mar 26, 2002

He usually doesn’t know what’s he talking about but he’s praising our boy so now he does know what’s he’s talking about

I remember listening to Pierre talk about Volchenkov during the WJC as a player that reminds him of Raymond Bourque. I wouldn't pay much attention to what Pierre says, even though it's nice to read positive reviews of our guys.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember listening to Pierre talk about Volchenkov during the WJC as a player that reminds him of Raymond Bourque. I wouldn't pay much attention to what Pierre says, even though it's nice to read positive reviews of our guys.
I never listen to him. But we need hype men online now more than ever.

Reactions: foggyvisor and h2

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
We have no idea how anything will pan out. I just feel this organization shows no gut and is scared to make big plays. Or, maybe, this organization is unlucky asf

Past 2 years we have have picked 3rd, 4th and 5th overall. We don't have a genuine true #1 center to show for? We had more 1st and 2nd rounds picks and Prospects (we drool about 24/7) than we can count.

Not sure if this organization is more delusional or the fans thinking Logan Brown, White or even Norris is the answer as the #1 center. Also, it seems everyone is pretty content with Stutzle as a winger when he clearly needs to be a Center for us 200%

Okay. So ignorant, not sarcastic. Got it.

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I also don’t think goo goo Gaga is the right term to use there’? Am I wrong

Yup. Wrong order when it comes to McGuire and hockey players with long sticks.

He goes gaga. Then goo goo.

12k2a5.jpg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what Mlakar stated on the radio. I always considered Roy a straight shooter, if he says Chara's agent never got back to him, I trust him. I do think Muckler's prior move of trading Hossa led to Chara's ultimate outcome, but that's not the same as "choosing Redden over Chara".
I mean ive heard the story right from the Murrays multiple times. Once this news came out they refuted it immediately. To each their own what they want to believe.

Yeah what does he know, a former NHL head coach and executive. Posters who have never played organized hockey probably have a better handle on it.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I mean ive heard the story right from the Murrays multiple times. Once this news came out they refuted it immediately. To each their own what they want to believe.

Not to mention that IF Chara didn't want to stay, it was Muckler's ham-fisted handling of the Hossa situation a year earlier that soured Chara on the Sens. I think Muckler preferred the Canadian kid Redden though.

R.I.P. Mucks... but you were a disaster in Ottawa.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

That’s just it. All we can go by are various 3rd parties. Again, I do think Muckler created the circumstances that led to Chara’s departure so there is still fault in that. RIP Muckler.

Yeah what does he know, a former NHL head coach and executive. Posters who have never played organized hockey probably have a better handle on it.

That’s quite the assumption at the end as you have no idea on the background of the posters you’re referring to. There are some posters I trust when it comes to opinions on prospects, and a lot (like 90%) that I don’t. As an example, I find Bondra’s opinion in particular to be of value on this forum.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

TBH, I like Pierre for some behind the scenes insights, but I wouldn't trust him too much on his assessment of prospects. He's acts too much like a cheerleader/parent for all these kids because he usually knows them personally (or atleast acts like he knows them personally). I've never heard him say anything negative about a prospect ever.

Reactions: h2

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
TBH, I like Pierre for some behind the scenes insights, but I wouldn't trust him too much on his assessment of prospects. He's acts too much like a cheerleader/parent for all these kids because he usually knows them personally (or atleast acts like he knows them personally). I've never heard him say anything negative about a prospect ever.

You don't remember when the Islanders passed over Zach Parise at the draft?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He usually doesn’t know what’s he talking about but he’s praising our boy so now he does know what’s he’s talking about

Radio Pierre is fun and insightful.

TV Pierre is entertaining and a bit of a nut.

I don't mind him - so he's not always right, who cares?

Yeah, he's a bit awkward but I like some enthusiasm. Some goes for Button.

Just don't try to fellate Canada too much right before the Gold Medal game please.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Yeah, he's a bit awkward but I like some enthusiasm. Some goes for Button. Just don't try to fellate Canada too much right before the Gold Medal game please.

He's def better on radio (imo) unless he's ranting about analytics lol

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is the same argument we had with Tkachuk too. Everyone is always fixated on what I call the "videogame skills" like stickhandling, shooting, skating, etc. But things like gap control, positioning, hockey IQ, net presence, poise, patience, etc. are just as much of a skill as stickhandling and shooting.

Video game traits? You realize those are the some of the most important tools for star offensive players right?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For those questioning Sanderson's upside or value compared to the more talented players we passed on, look at the Jets-Canes rumour right now as evidence of the kind of value a stud shutdown D has around the league.

The Canes don't want to include Pesce in a deal for Laine. Leafs also tried to get him for Nylander, a 60-70P winger and failed.

Sanderson doesn't have to be an offensive dynamo with high-end skill to potentially develop into an extremely valuable player.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sanderson has never shown elite talent. That's simply not true. He was drafted at 5th OVR because he's an elite skater with elite defensive play and a really good mind. He's shown flashes of offense but you're overselling his talent, which is average at best.

Also Lundell should certainly not be considered the 3rd best forward prospect because of two months worth of play. If you mean he's the 3rd best forward right now, I'd agree, but that's largely because he's 19 when guys like Byfield, Raymond and Perfetti are 18 and less developed.
That is elite talent. There are two ends of the rink after all.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

What did you hear from the murrays

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For those questioning Sanderson's upside or value compared to the more talented players we passed on, look at the Jets-Canes rumour right now as evidence of the kind of value a stud shutdown D has around the league.

The Canes don't want to include Pesce in a deal for Laine. Leafs also tried to get him for Nylander, a 60-70P winger and failed.

Sanderson doesn't have to be an offensive dynamo with high-end skill to potentially develop into an extremely valuable player.

The additional advantage is the way arbitration works and comparable value of players based on offensive metrics.

Sure, advanced stats help a bit, but defensive contributions are always going to be underrated and we've seen in the playoffs (e.g. Seth Jones, St. Louis Blues) what more defensively oriented or "two-way" players can do.

They are hard to acquire because they can produce a lot of value for a reasonable cost, and that's absolute gold in the cap era.

Are there any teams fielding two #1 D-men out there?

There's San Jose, there was Nashville for awhile. Is it the best use of your cap dollars?

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, he's a bit awkward but I like some enthusiasm. Some goes for Button.

Just don't try to fellate Canada too much right before the Gold Medal game please.
I don’t mind him. I just find he’s way off the mark most of the time. And that’s cool. I used to love him and miller on the call

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I always like listening to McGuire. He is interesting and has some views he is not afraid to share. I may not always agree with him, but do listen.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad