Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson 5th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I was not happy when we drafted Sanderson 5th overall - Actually I was rather shocked. There was so much Talent we completed avoided and go for a safe pick?

This organization keeps playing safe and has not guts to go big!

Drafting players and stapling them as core pieces like White, Tkachuk and Sanderson (all character, no talent) will make us a good, hard team to play against that would make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, year after year, just to fall short by superior talent.

I was very young at the time but I missed the way Muckler ran this organization, going big and bold!

I'm unsure if this is sarcasm or just a terrible take.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I was not happy when we drafted Sanderson 5th overall - Actually I was rather shocked. There was so much Talent we completed avoided and go for a safe pick?

Drafting players and stapling them as core pieces like White, Tkachuk and Sanderson (all character, no talent) will make us a good, hard team to play against that would make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, year after year, just to fall short by superior talent.

I was very young at the time but I missed the way Muckler ran this organization, going big and bold!

I think posts like this are kind of funny. There was nothing safe about taking Sanderson where we did, he was drafted because he showed elite talent and according to most analysts we reached for him based on the talent we saw. I also think it's funny because Lundell was also seen as a "safe" pick in the top 10, a good defensive player but not great at skating and not really showing any offensive flair, and he looks like the third best forward in the draft right now. Similarly, every other forward taken with the next 6 picks had anywhere from not great to terrible WJs.

Oh and just to add to the near comedic nature of posts like this, there were people in the Jarventie thread saying "for once I wish management would just pick the safe player". So not really sure which one people want.

I too want PD to make the safe risky pick and swing for the fences except when I don't like the player, then he should pick the safe player I like.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I'm unsure if this is sarcasm or just a terrible take.

I have to admit that I was disappointed when the Sens picked Sanderson over Drysdale however I freely admit that I dont know very much when it comes to most prospects, I rarely watch junior hockey. Sanderson looked good last night tho.

Reactions: Chabot84 and bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yeah, Muckler really went big and bold in his time as the Sens GM...

(Keep in mind, Muckler was hired a few weeks before the 2001 draft)

2001 2nd - Spezza - Unanimous choice anyone makes at 2, no different than the Stutzle pick we just made

2001 23rd - Gleason - Definition of safe player, never suited up for the Sens

2002 16th - Klepis -Definition of a "safe" pick, never even had a ppg in the WHL in his draft season

2003 39th - Eaves - Definition of safe player

2004 23rd - Mezsaros - Solid top 4 D. Not a big or bold pick whatsoever

2005 9th - Lee - Not much needs to be said here

2006 - Foligno - Definition of safe pick

(Fired 2 weeks before draft, would have still left an impact on it) 2007 - Jim O'Brien - Definition of safe pick

Never hit on a single of his 2nd round pick, 0/3 with 6 games played from Kaigadorov

Also the guy who drafted the big and bold players (who were also his most successful draft picks...) in Greening, Condra and Greening. Big and Bold babbbby!!!!

I'm assuming you are just misremembering the Muckler years for the sake of continuing your shtick, Muckler never went big or bold at any draft, and he never had success at the draft, the exact opposite really.

Reactions: Xspyrit

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Foligno is a six season captain in the NHL. He is clearly a hit.

Sanderson is captain material too. Wonder who the leadership group is in 2023. Have to think Sanderson has an A.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Muckler's legacy is a bit of a checkered one - he helped to build the team that made the Finals but left the cupboard bare after he left IIRC.

It's a bit unfair in that our draft positions started to drop as we got more and more competitive, but at the same time, it's your job as a GM to ensure that the talent pipeline remains full.

Reactions: NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think posts like this are kind of funny. There was nothing safe about taking Sanderson where we did, he was drafted because he showed elite talent and according to most analysts we reached for him based on the talent we saw. I also think it's funny because Lundell was also seen as a "safe" pick in the top 10, a good defensive player but not great at skating and not really showing any offensive flair, and he looks like the third best forward in the draft right now. Similarly, every other forward taken with the next 6 picks had anywhere from not great to terrible WJs.

Oh and just to add to the near comedic nature of posts like this, there were people in the Jarventie thread saying "for once I wish management would just pick the safe player". So not really sure which one people want.

I too want PD to make the safe risky pick and swing for the fences except when I don't like the player, then he should pick the safe player I like.

Sanderson has never shown elite talent. That's simply not true. He was drafted at 5th OVR because he's an elite skater with elite defensive play and a really good mind. He's shown flashes of offense but you're overselling his talent, which is average at best.

Also Lundell should certainly not be considered the 3rd best forward prospect because of two months worth of play. If you mean he's the 3rd best forward right now, I'd agree, but that's largely because he's 19 when guys like Byfield, Raymond and Perfetti are 18 and less developed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Muckler's legacy is a bit of a checkered one - he helped to build the team that made the Finals but left the cupboard bare after he left IIRC.

It's a bit unfair in that our draft positions started to drop as we got more and more competitive, but at the same time, it's your job as a GM to ensure that the talent pipeline remains full.
Imagine the outrage around the league, and especially now with social media, if Tampa or Boston won a 9th overall pick next draft because there was no season this year. It would be glorious.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Sanderson has never shown elite talent. That's simply not true. He was drafted at 5th OVR because he's an elite skater with elite defensive play

My guy, I'm not really sure how to respond to this...

Regarding Lundell, I simply said 3rd best in the tournament, we are talking about evaluating prospects based on the WJs and he was the best forward of the rest of the prospects taken in 2020 in that tournament. He was however seen at the time of the draft as a safe pick without a lot of offensive talent. Clearly he's having a break out year.

Finally, I don't think safe or not safe picks really come up all that often in the first 10 or so picks of most drafts. Often you can make arguments that one player has less or more skill or you would prefer one player over the other but most drafts these kids are all so talented at the top end it really becomes a roll of the dice as to who is going to be the best.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

LMAO. Muckler was god awful as a GM for us.

Drafting stunk.

Chose Redden over Chara.

Mishandled the cap and led to bad trades for the long term good of the team (Hossa, Havlat, etc.).

Gave away draft picks for plugs.

I hate to speak ill of the recently deceased but he sucked in his time here.

We have no idea how Sanderson will pan out in the end but I'm fairly confident that he'll end up as better than any pick Muckler made outside of Spezza.

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Drafting stunk.

Chose Redden over Chara.

Mishandled the cap and led to bad trades for the long term good of the team (Hossa, Havlat, etc.).

We have no idea how Sanderson will pan out in the end but I'm fairly confident that he'll end up as better than any pick Muckler made outside of Spezza.

He never chose Redden over Chara. Roy Mlakar destroyed that notion on the radio yesterday.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Sanderson has never shown elite talent. That's simply not true. He was drafted at 5th OVR because he's an elite skater with elite defensive play and a really good mind. He's shown flashes of offense but you're overselling his talent, which is average at best.

So “elite skater with elite defensive play and a really good mind” =/= elite talent?

Reactions: Dan Patrick

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

So like that time Muckler chose Redden over Chara because Redden was more "talented", and Chara was the safe option?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

To be fair, there wasn't a cap before the lockout. It's kinda hard to judge him on something that didn't even exist yet. We had cap issues the second the cap was implemented.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Drafting stunk.

Chose Redden over Chara.

We have no idea how anything will pan out. I just feel this organization shows no gut and is scared to make big plays. Or, maybe, this organization is unlucky asf

Past 2 years we have have picked 3rd, 4th and 5th overall. We don't have a genuine true #1 center to show for? We had more 1st and 2nd rounds picks and Prospects (we drool about 24/7) than we can count.

Not sure if this organization is more delusional or the fans thinking Logan Brown, White or even Norris is the answer as the #1 center. Also, it seems everyone is pretty content with Stutzle as a winger when he clearly needs to be a Center for us 200%

h2

Mar 26, 2002
To be fair, there wasn't a cap before the lockout. It's kinda hard to judge him on something that didn't even exist yet. We had cap issues the second the cap was implemented.

I always thought the lockout in 05 hurt no team more than ours for multiple reasons. That lost year was also probably the height of our peak in terms of a skilled roster. A key year in our window lost. I try not to dwell on what could have been as it's just frustrating to think about.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So “elite skater with elite defensive play and a really good mind” =/= elite talent?

This is the same argument we had with Tkachuk too. Everyone is always fixated on what I call the "videogame skills" like stickhandling, shooting, skating, etc. But things like gap control, positioning, hockey IQ, net presence, poise, patience, etc. are just as much of a skill as stickhandling and shooting.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He never chose Redden over Chara. Roy Mlakar destroyed that notion on the radio yesterday.
Wasnt true though, trying to save the legacy of a good friend. They never made an offer to Chara, Chara called him over and over and he didnt answer. Anyway back to Sanderson, best game of the tournament for him at the right time. Showed alot more physicality than the rest of the tourney, was great to see.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We have no idea how anything will pan out. I just feel this organization shows no gut and is scared to make big plays. Or, maybe, this organization is unlucky asf

Past 2 years we have have picked 3rd, 4th and 5th overall. We don't have a genuine true #1 center to show for? We had more 1st and 2nd rounds picks and Prospects (we drool about 24/7) than we can count.

Not sure if this organization is more delusional or the fans thinking Logan Brown, White or even Norris is the answer as the #1 center. Also, it seems everyone is pretty content with Stutzle as a winger when he clearly needs to be a Center for us 200%

So what you're saying is that we need to make another Duchene trade?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why wouldn’t he? He created the conditions for redden over chara. And signed one. Before offering the other anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad