Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree that he looks like a really solid comparable. They each score at almost the same exact pace. Rust is a bit more of a playmaker. I don't know how much cap adjustment to make but I do think DeBrusk will be slightly higher. I think the B’s should get him at 5.75 or so.
Cap adjusted it would be $5.38m

Reactions: HustleB

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Jake's agent will be in for a rude awakening if Jake gets to the open market. Although I don't think Jake will get as much as people are speculating, I still expect him to re-sign even if he gets to Free Agency. I just can't see his best offer coming from anyone other than Sweeney.

The fact that he is only 27 and the rest of the free agent class is hitting 30 plays into Jake's hands and I think is underrated on here.

Reactions: DKH and CDJ

Babajingo

He's been sighted in Pacific NW.
1712450624144.png

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm still very much open to bringing him back on a 3-6 year deal... He just is what he is. A 40-50 point, 20-25 goal scorer who is going to be invisible for half of the season, and blow you away for the other half. He's very consistent in his production season-to-season but the inconsistency game-to-game is insane.

Depending on the term I'm not comfortable paying him more than ~5m. He's not young enough where there's a higher upside and he's never stepped up like you hoped he would have in his numerous opportunities. Our pro scouting has been really good on middle-6 guys who can come here in an elevated role and perform (Heinen, Zacha, Coyle, etc.), he can be replaced.

Would rather keep a sure thing but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's already out the door.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He kind of is what he is at this point. I’d offer him the Bryan rust deal from Pittsburgh. They play very similar roles and have very similar production. As well as similar playoff production.

Rust got 6y/30.75 from the penguins. I think that’s more than fair for Debrusk

Reactions: NeelyDan

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
He’s been MIA for most of this season. Offering him 5 at this point is just too much. There are more consistent players who will get you the same production for less or equal money. Remember when Coyle was “overpaid” at 5.25 for only 40 points a year? I prefer 40 point Coyle to 40 point Debrusk every day of the week.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I like this kid and am always pulling for him. I can be disappointed in a player's output, but if the player seems like a good person that disappointment ends on the ice. He certainly seems to be a good kid. He's not a player like Kuznetsov, for example.

But he is one hell of an enigma. Maybe one of the biggest I've seen over 50 plus years of watching hockey.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Go check their point totals and advanced stats the last 10 games. You may be surprised.

He has 5 points in his last 10 games. I’m not saying he’s ice cold (or that the effort isn’t there), but I’ve watched him enough to form what I feel is at least a somewhat informed opinion. He hasn’t been playing that well. Relative to Brad Marchand.

not trying to compare DeBrusk or Marchand. Ultimately it’s about doing what makes the team perform best as a whole. And if that means putting DeBrusk with Marchand, even if one could argue that Jake is personally “undeserving”, I don’t think the idea should be tossed aside.

I’ll take any line combinations that allows the team any sort of ability to get out of its own zone quite frankly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad