Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You don't have to sign him or even get a replacement. My point is that next season the top-9 could look like this without DeBrusk:

Zacha - X - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Frederic
Geekie - Poitras - Lysell/X (X means mostly acquisition)

DeBrusk and Frederic are different players with different strengths. But don't you think Frederic could replace DeBrusk's contribution?

At the same time, the team saves salary cap space that can be used elsewhere.
Problem with Frederic replacing DeBrusk's contribution is that they'd then need someone to replace Frederic's contribution...

Reactions: bme44

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Yeah but THAT, is all over the FA list.
Ya I think Trenin would be a good fit.

Obviously not as skilled as Freddy but he’s going to play physical, good defensively and would form a good grinding line with Geekie if Trent is playing up

He’s having a down year but I feel like there is more there

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
You don't have to sign him or even get a replacement. My point is that next season the top-9 could look like this without DeBrusk:

Zacha - X - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Frederic
Geekie - Poitras - Lysell/X (X means mostly acquisition)

DeBrusk and Frederic are different players with different strengths. But don't you think Frederic could replace DeBrusk's contribution?

At the same time, the team saves salary cap space that can be used elsewhere
If the contract can be at 5.5 or so . Keeping DeBrusk is the smart move.

Reactions: dangermike

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Disagree, but even if it were true the first free agent name that would fit is "DeBrusk".

You don't think Freddy level forwards are available in free agency? Those may be black and gold glasses on.

You've noticed that every time Monty tries to promote him to top 6, he gets demoted to bottom 6. You've seen that....right?

Reactions: lopey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You don't think Freddy level forwards are available in free agency? Those may be black and gold glasses on.

You've noticed that every time Monty tries to promote him to top 6, he gets demoted to bottom 6. You've seen that....right?
It's a DeBrusk thread, but if you think free agency is full of 25 year old heavyweights who can kill penalties and give you 20 even strength goals, 40 pts playing in the bottom 6 then sign me up for a half dozen and let's wreck this league.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Even strength goals (5v5). Of note are the three names at the bottom.

2BDCA31A-6A1B-4BD2-AD4D-C069BC04BCA5.png

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think Jake's agent will be in for a rude awakening if Jake gets to the open market. Although I don't think Jake will get as much as people are speculating, I still expect him to re-sign even if he gets to Free Agency. I just can't see his best offer coming from anyone other than Sweeney.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Jake's agent will be in for a rude awakening if Jake gets to the open market. Although I don't think Jake will get as much as people are speculating, I still expect him to re-sign even if he gets to Free Agency. I just can't see his best offer coming from anyone other than Sweeney.
Depends. If he’s open to going to Chicago or Columbus or similar he’d do very well financially. If he wants to play for a successful, contending franchise that limits his dollars. Most NHL players could make more money if they went to UFA and took the best financial offer. But almost none do.

Reactions: NeelyDan

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It's a DeBrusk thread, but if you think free agency is full of 25 year old heavyweights who can kill penalties and give you 20 even strength goals, 40 pts playing in the bottom 6 then sign me up for a half dozen and let's wreck this league.

It came up because someone said if you promoted Freddy to JBD's spot, you had to replace Freddy. And I don't need to replace him with EXACTLY what you've put. That's silly and not how sports works. If I can get someone in his approx contribution tier, I've succeeded. And yes, you can find that in free agency. Freddy being a "heavyweight" is very very arguable here. He doesn't play like one.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It came up because someone said if you promoted Freddy to JBD's spot, you had to replace Freddy. And I don't need to replace him with EXACTLY what you've put. That's silly and not how sports works. If I can get someone in his approx contribution tier, I've succeeded. And yes, you can find that in free agency. Freddy being a "heavyweight" is very very arguable here. He doesn't play like one.
It's a DeBrusk thread and they have to decide if his value is what he's shown he can be or if it's what he has been. I don't think they can pay for potential with him anymore

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
he told them not to sign him in the first place

from my memory he told them he was skeptical and that Miller would need to prove he changed, which to me means that Sweeney felt their culture starting with Bergeron could be an agent in that change, once it came out that there was misinformation on the part of Miller's camp along with Sweeney and co's failure to do their own digging by reaching out to the family of the victim - it was a done deal and Bergeron was vocal about that. But it definitely starts with Bergeron, his opinion on it mattered a lot and Sweeney already knew he needed Bergeron's tutelage for it to work at all if it was going to

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just got in from doing what forced retirement people do / gym: seated shoulder presses (225 pfff….easy-peazy) but my gym has shitty Internet reception so out of loop last 3 hours.

Did they announce DeBrusk extension?

#DKHARDO

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Some bad team would probably be willing to overpay.

I think his market is roughly around Bryan Rust who got 6 years $30.75m last year from the penguins. Very similar roles, PP and PK, similar regular season and postseason stats.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Some bad team would probably be willing to overpay.

I think his market is roughly around Bryan Rust who got 6 years $30.75m last year from the penguins. Very similar roles, PP and PK, similar regular season and postseason stats.
I agree that he looks like a really solid comparable. They each score at almost the same exact pace. Rust is a bit more of a playmaker. I don't know how much cap adjustment to make but I do think DeBrusk will be slightly higher. I think the B’s should get him at 5.75 or so.

Reactions: UncleRico

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad