Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It’s not like Marchand is playing great hockey either (IMO). Could be mutually beneficial to try it.
Your argument is strong and it is probably worth a try but it seems that Monty is sending a message that you need to have a consistent effort in doing everything else if you aren't lighting the lamp.

I hope he snaps out of it because he shows flashes and then fades. Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate him and I am not rooting for him to fail. I want him to play consistently no matter what line he's on and I loathe all the excuses (not by you) used to describe his play. I was just as tough, if not worse on Ryan Spooner than I've been on Jake.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like Jake and hope he heats up for the playoffs.

What line he plays on is not up to me. He should try and do the best he can no matter who his linemates are. He should take a look at what Danton Heinen has done all season. It is up to Jake to step it up.

As far as should the Bs to sign him to more years ...I wouldn't want too much $$$ spent on him. Not my decision and they dont ask me.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone who thinks this guy is worth more than 3 mil is crazy. Jake, you need to go home buddy. You need your family around you. You definitely miss them. It’s not working here. That money can get a better player. He’s very skilled but he disappears too much.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Anyone who thinks this guy is worth more than 3 mil is crazy. Jake, you need to go home buddy. You need your family around you. You definitely miss them. It’s not working here. That money can get a better player. He’s very skilled but he disappears too much.
He will get more than 3mil a year. I still would offer him 4@5mil if I was Bruin management

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
He kind of is what he is at this point. I’d offer him the Bryan rust deal from Pittsburgh. They play very similar roles and have very similar production. As well as similar playoff production.

Rust got 6y/30.75 from the penguins. I think that’s more than fair for Debrusk

on board with this

Reactions: UncleRico

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I hope he finds some scoring touch come playoffs ,along with Debrusk Bruins can’t just rely on Pasta for the playoffs or it’s going to be another early exit
This is it. You need contribution from every other player. If Marchand isn't finding his scoring touch and teams zone in on Pastrnak, it will be a short, short playoffs.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This is it. You need contribution from every other player. If Marchand isn't finding his scoring touch and teams zone in on Pastrnak, it will be a short, short playoffs.
Teams will zone in on both Pasta and Brad. I think Brad is already playing hurt. If we lose Pasta that is the end IMO.

Other players need to step it up as the teams will be gunning for Pasta and Brad.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
yeah we should expect teams to take runs at pasta all day long, i sure would

and no, i dont believe having a tough guy eliminates this, so please don't force me down that path
Why wouldn't this apply also to Kucherov? Or Mackinnon? Or McDavid.? Or Matthews? Or Panarin? Why aren't teams just pummeling Cale Makar, or taking runs at him?

Yes, if you shut down the other team's best player it helps your chances immensely. Thing is, these kind of players are so good that they don't get shut down. And they're too good to "get run" in the way people describe. Again, why doesn't this happen to all other top players across the league?

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Why wouldn't this apply also to Kucherov? Or Mackinnon? Or McDavid.? Or Matthews? Or Panarin? Why aren't teams just pummeling Cale Makar, or taking runs at him?

Yes, if you shut down the other team's best player it helps your chances immensely. Thing is, these kind of players are so good that they don't get shut down. And they're too good to "get run" in the way people describe. Again, why doesn't this happen to all other top players across the league?

im not saying it doesnt, i just don't care about them

if you dont think beating on guys physically is a thing or that they're too good to be run at, that's cool. i just see the game much differently.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Because those teams have others that can and will pick up the scoring slack in Makar, Hedman, Point, Draisaitl. Teams cant focus 100% on just 1 guy like they can against the Bruins (and Rangers) in the playoffs this year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Your argument is strong and it is probably worth a try but it seems that Monty is sending a message that you need to have a consistent effort in doing everything else if you aren't lighting the lamp.

I hope he snaps out of it because he shows flashes and then fades. Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate him and I am not rooting for him to fail. I want him to play consistently no matter what line he's on and I loathe all the excuses (not by you) used to describe his play. I was just as tough, if not worse on Ryan Spooner than I've been on Jake.

Oh my God, did you have to bring up Spooner? I’ve tried to put that experience behind me. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Alicat

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Debrusk is 6-4-10 over his last 14 playoff games. Showing up in the playoffs has never been an issue for Jake.
I never said it was. I said we need contribution from everyone if guys zone in on Pastrnak. Marchand hasn't been great over the last month and we will need him to be.

Teams will zone in on both Pasta and Brad. I think Brad is already playing hurt. If we lose Pasta thet is the end IMO.

Other players need to step it up as the teams will be targetting Pasta and Brad.
Well then once again, that comes down to coaching. Lindholm broke his foot (i believe) a month before the playoffs and they didn't rest him. He then looked like hot garbage in the first round. Ullmark looked injured to me in the first round too and they kept him in until it was desperation time.

Sit players if there's even a thought of them being hurt.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It seems to me that everything has to be just so for Jake to thrive. If it isn't he doesn't perform. He seems easily unsettled & not adaptable for some reason. :dunno:

I'm tired of trying to figure it out though. I won't be upset if the Bruins let him walk.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
We've reached the phase where if he thrives elsewhere I doubt we could be upset. HERE, he struggles to thrive.

Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The question is can they find him a center where he can flourish. If they can get him at around $5mil AAV and find a center for him then it’s a good deal. Ideally you don’t want to spend on a guy that needs perfect conditions to score 50 points but it all depends on the price.

Reactions: lopey and HustleB

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Other than if he signs with the Canucks or the Habs, I'll be rooting for him if he goes elsewhere.

All outward indications to me are that he's a good guy. And I'm not even sure if I should go as far to say that he sometimes "doesn't care". I just genuinely think he is in his own head a lot. Most people don't have explicit "on" and "off" controls for their mind unfortunately and I suspect that is the case with Jake.

If he can ever get to the point where he plays to his potential for even half of a given regular season, he will be one hell of an asset. He is an absolute force when he's got it in top gear. Many of the great moments of the recent past that come to my mind involve Jake DeBrusk. Moreso that you would expect just based on the stat line.

Reactions: bme44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad