Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I never said it was. I said we need contribution from everyone if guys zone in on Pastrnak. Marchand hasn't been great over the last month and we will need him to be.

Well then once again, that comes down to coaching. Lindholm broke his foot (i believe) a month before the playoffs and they didn't rest him. He then looked like hot garbage in the first round. Ullmark looked injured to me in the first round too and they kept him in until it was desperation time.

Sit players if there's even a thought of them being hurt.
I agree.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think given Brad's age you might just have to keep Debrusk at this point, but I really haven't been impressed with his effort lately.

Reactions: lopey

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think given Brad's age you might just have to keep Debrusk at this point, but I really haven't been impressed with his effort lately.

I agreed with this a year ago. Today I don't think so.

And I don't think so because I actually do believe that every year there are Jake's as UFAs and in the draft. He's much less special than we thought.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I like JDB at 5.5 or less. He is the epitome of hot and cold. That being said, he is usually good for 20 goals, plays pretty solid two way game, so if sweeney gets him to sign a good value contract I think he is good to keep around. Also prevents Sweeney from completing the trifecta of failure.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
01306460-7B0A-47A8-ABF2-CAB6CEF611EF.jpeg
27D4C514-4FE1-4EA9-89D9-C8CA078F5D08.jpeg

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Bruins Network on point as usual. Paying DeBrusk something like 6x6 still makes me uncomfortable, simply because of his inconsistency. I don't really trust that he's going to show up when you most need him to. But the market is what it is, and his talent is proven.

What is boils down to for me is the Bruins currently only have 4 proper top 6 wingers, and 1 of those is 35 and another is currently playing center (Zacha). Waiting in the wings only Lysell even looks like having the potential to reach that level, and it's far from a given. So Sweeney either needs to re-sign Jake or replace him with a similar calibre player. Just letting him walk with no alternative in place is not an option.

I'm not wedded to either option. Keeping DeBrusk is probably going to be cheaper and you know what you're getting, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice. Depends who else might be acquired and at what price. My gut says he stays, but I don't think Don himself knows for sure either way as yet.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
$6m is too much. Can we take that $6m and some of ullmarks money and go after guentzal on an 3-4 year deal instead?

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Your argument is strong and it is probably worth a try but it seems that Monty is sending a message that you need to have a consistent effort in doing everything else if you aren't lighting the lamp.

I hope he snaps out of it because he shows flashes and then fades. Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate him and I am not rooting for him to fail. I want him to play consistently no matter what line he's on and I loathe all the excuses (not by you) used to describe his play. I was just as tough, if not worse on Ryan Spooner than I've been on Jake.
I think Monty is looking to spark Jake with the Ryder roll because he has not been effective in the top 6 and because the 3rd line had become a black hole.

I agree with the poster who said he needs to earn his way back up but ultimately we need to have threats across the top 9 as well. So hopefully Boquist and DeBrusk continue to gel and we have finally cemented something that is dangerous and responsible top to bottom. Those chances DeBrusk would earn would come in the form of extra shifts as Monty shuffles. Take advantage and force a tough decision.

Reactions: Alicat

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just a question of who they could bring in with that money. I'd rather bring back Bertuzzi or pick up someone like Chandler Stephenson who I'd imagine would be in the same ballpark.

Or Sweeney could just pull some more rabbits out of his hat for league minimum.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Just a question of who they could bring in with that money. I'd rather bring back Bertuzzi or pick up someone like Chandler Stephenson who I'd imagine would be in the same ballpark.

Or Sweeney could just pull some more rabbits out of his hat for league minimum.
I don't want Bertuzzi over Jake. Guentzel is intriguing but I think I'd rather spend the money on Hanifin and then commit to youth at most of the forward slots.

If you can get a bonafide top 6 center at a reasonable price like Lindholm then I would.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I would have guessed Guentzel was in the 8-8.5 range. Who are some comparables that put him at 10?
It’s more that the cap is jumping and there aren’t going to be many top level free agents. Reinhart would be in the same category. This new cap is going to go somewhere and it’s not like everyone under contract already gets a raise.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Guentzel is going to get 7 years. Is he a guy you want to give 7x$10M to?
No but if it can be on 3-4 year deal sure.

I don’t want to give guentzal 7x10 but I don’t want to give Debrusk 6x6 either.

Bryan rust got 6years $30.75 and Debrusk is not better than Rust. He certainly doesn’t deserve almost 20% more in salary than Rust on a 6x6

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Guentzel seems like a perfect fit for Carolina

He’s a big time golfer - US born not far from home - playing on a line with Jarvis & Aho

He gets the 8th year there

Seems like a slam dunk

I’ll go 8 years which could be a problem because of age but if they do 8X8 seems a good bet

DeBrusk if the season ended today I offer 5 years at $5.5 M that’s a middle tier forward using the DKH chart on deals signed that have UFA years (the chart was just thought up waiting to take a left out of a Dunkin Donuts parking lot so I had a lot of time to think about this)

10+ super star
7-9.9 star
4-6.9 good/very good

DeBrusk falls smack dab in middle of the last one

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Guentzel seems like a perfect fit for Carolina

He’s a big time golfer - US born not far from home - playing on a line with Jarvis & Aho

He gets the 8th year there

Seems like a slam dunk

I’ll go 8 years which could be a problem because of age but if they do 8X8 seems a good bet

DeBrusk if the season ended today I offer 5 years at $5.5 M that’s a middle tier forward using the DKH chart on deals signed that have UFA years (the chart was just thought up waiting to take a left out of a Dunkin Donuts parking lot so I had a lot of time to think about this)

10+ super star
7-9.9 star
4-6.9 good/very good

DeBrusk falls smack dab in middle of the last one

i don't disagree with you

but

it has the feeling of "well, 20 bucks is just what a salad costs now" to it

overpayment for something that won't leave you satisfied

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No but if it can be on 3-4 year deal sure.

I don’t want to give guentzal 7x10 but I don’t want to give Debrusk 6x6 either.

Bryan rust got 6years $30.75 and Debrusk is not better than Rust. He certainly doesn’t deserve almost 20% more in salary than Rust on a 6x6
But he’s not going to sign a 3-4 year deal so that point is moot.

I’m not sure people get that the cap is jumping and that money isn’t going to 4th liners and bottom pair guys. Everyone under contract already doesn’t reap the benefit until their contract is up. There’s $128M in cap coming and resigning your own guys isn’t going to eat that up. Salaries for top tier guys will jump most, and middle tier goal scorers will certainly get an increase. Using Rust’s deal as a comp is fine but you need to factor in inflation.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
But he’s not going to sign a 3-4 year deal so that point is moot.

I’m not sure people get that the cap is jumping and that money isn’t going to 4th liners and bottom pair guys. Everyone under contract already doesn’t reap the benefit until their contract is up. There’s $128M in cap coming and resigning your own guys isn’t going to eat that up. Salaries for top tier guys will jump most, and middle tier goal scorers will certainly get an increase. Using Rust’s deal as a comp is fine but you need to factor in inflation.

It’s going up a little over $4m. Really not that much considering it hasn’t gone up in 3 years.

Also Debrusk is performing at a mid-high end 3rd line level this year for someone who has been getting top 6 ice time and PP time.

He doesn’t deserve more than $5m

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

but

Marchand I read on another thread isn’t get any younger

so if that is true and he’s got 2-3 years left who are the LW behind him ?

I’m not stuck in traffic right now so I can’t think of anyone other then

Heinen
Frederic
Beecher
Kuntar

I like them all the way Mary Poppins liked the Van Trap kids but I don’t see a LW worthy of top 6 (other than Heinen but I don’t want to go there and get @sarge88 day off to a bad start especially if he’s got to go to a DD in a strip mall area)

Imagination is powerful - heck Einstein said it’s more important then knowledge but imagining Guentzel & whoever is signing here is ridiculous

I just realized my Eichel, Hertl, and Hanifin vision I used had them all sitting in a locker room talking to Cassidy

DeBrusk I would go five at $5.5; if he leaves the good news is we got Marchy & Heinen 2-3 more years till a couple of LW magically appear to save us

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s going up a little over $4m. Really not that much considering it hasn’t gone up in 3 years.

Also Debrusk is performing at a mid-high end 3rd line level this year for someone who has been getting top 6 ice time and PP time.

He doesn’t deserve more than $5m
He’s T132 for forwards for goals. That’s not a 3rd liners production. And he is a good 200ft player who hasn’t gotten much PP1 time. He’s getting his lowest PP time per game since his rookie year.

$4M is a lot when it’s 32 teams. Most of that is going to get spent. The top FAs (if they get to FA) are Reinhart, Hanifin, and Guentzel. They’re going to get paid.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He’s T132 for forwards for goals. That’s not a 3rd liners production. And he is a good 200ft player who hasn’t gotten much PP1 time. He’s getting his lowest PP time per game since his rookie year.

$4M is a lot when it’s 32 teams. Most of that is going to get spent. The top FAs (if they get to FA) are Reinhart, Hanifin, and Guentzel. They’re going to get paid.

Tied for 132 in goals is in fact 3rd line production.

32 teams multiplied by 4 top six wingers per team is 128. So he’s just on the outside of top 6 winger production while he’s been bouncing around the first and second line for the bruins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

but

My parents were big on ‘what’s the alternative’

After awhile I stopped saying I don’t know and either had one or didn’t complain as much

Reactions: NeelyDan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad