Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
"Giving someone money above their worth simply because you're desperate is a terrible team building decision."

sorry, don't know how to cross-thread quote

That's where the debate lies, tho, right? I am not certain what the number is that is "above his worth"

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
@NDiesel replying here since the last one got closed: yeah I agree, we'll see. I do think Jake is likely to outscore Heinen and JvR in a 'normal' season, but I think the question turns on by how much and can the team count on it and is it better to pay a Heinen/JVR level player $2-3m over 3-4 years or give Jake $6m at 5+ years.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
@NDiesel replying here since the last one got closed: yeah I agree, we'll see. I do think Jake is likely to outscore Heinen and JvR in a 'normal' season, but I think the question turns on by how much and can the team count on it and is it better to pay a Heinen/JVR level player $2-3m over 3-4 years or give Jake $6m at 5+ years.
Yeah I totally get that thinking, I posed that question in the last Debrusk thread too about Heinen at a cheaper price + the return of a debrusk trade vs keeping both.

I truly am torn on Jake and think he'll be a very interesting storyline to observe going up to the deadline and obviously until the end of the year if they keep him that far. Pretty divisive player around here right now.

Reactions: lopey and Dr Hook

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah I totally get that thinking, I posed that question in the last Debrusk thread too about Heinen at a cheaper price + the return of a debrusk trade vs keeping both.

I truly am torn on Jake and think he'll be a very interesting storyline to observe going up to the deadline and obviously until the end of the year if they keep him that far. Pretty divisive player around here right now.
I think they need a number of worth to them & you stand by it.If his agent will not sign then you trade him and hope u get close to the worth you figure he is at.Keeping him & watching him go wherever he wants would be malpractice as a GM with this team as is.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Everybody knows his pros and cons, great speed, great shot, above average penalty killer, horrifically inconsistent, not physical. If he stays here you have to deal with 25-30 goals one season and 15-20 the next. How much is that worth? To me he is a 4M-5M player but he will probably get more than that and I don't think I would go higher than 5M.

If Sweeney knows what he is looking for he has to decide if he is worth it, you can't just let him walk, you need to get a return and your best return is before the deadline not at the draft where you might get a 4th or 5th round pick for his rights.

I see him going to Edmonton, playing with McDavid, who he can skate with, and getting 30-35 tip ins every year just by keeping his stick on the ice. Much like we speculate about Hanafin would Edmonton give a decent return to get him for a playoff run and exclusive negotiating rights even if they think he will sign with them over the summer?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I see him going to Edmonton, playing with McDavid, who he can skate with, and getting 30-35 tip ins every year just by keeping his stick on the ice. Much like we speculate about Hanafin would Edmonton give a decent return to get him for a playoff run and exclusive negotiating rights even if they think he will sign with them over the summer?

If I'm McDavid, I don't want to go anywhere near Jake Debrusk. I think pairing Debrusk with McDavid would drive McDavid into the mental institution.

And if I'm Edmonton, I'm am more than content to have much smarter players like Hyman and RNH reading off an elite hockey brain like McDavid.

The last thing Edmonton are doing this summer is going out and using more cap space on middling inconsistent wingers. I don't care where Jake Debrusk grew up or where his Dad works.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If I'm McDavid, I don't want to go anywhere near Jake Debrusk. I think pairing Debrusk with McDavid would drive McDavid into the mental institution.

And if I'm Edmonton, I'm am more than content to have much smarter players like Hyman and RNH reading off an elite hockey brain like McDavid.

The last thing Edmonton are doing this summer is going out and using more cap space on middling inconsistent wingers. I don't care where Jake Debrusk grew up or where his Dad works.
He probably works great with McDavid. All the offense goes through McDavid which takes the puck out of his hands, while all he has to do is skate fast and get into good scoring spots, like Hyman this year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He probably works great with McDavid. All the offense goes through McDavid which takes the puck out of his hands, while all he has to do is skate fast and get into good scoring spots, like Hyman this year.

Your discrediting Hyman a bit here. He's a really smart player and can read and react off a guy like McDavid.

Debrusk to me is the complete opposite of what I would want playing with a McDavid-level offensive player. And he's never been great at finding soft spots on the ice or going and getting the puck back to get it to his line-mates, something Hyman does really well.

Honestly if he was to go to Edmonton I think he'd gel a lot better on a line with Kane and Draisaitl. A big straight line power game type of line that keeps things simpler. He may still struggle to keep up to Draisaitl's brain I've always found Debrusk's and Kane's games similar minus the physicality of Kane.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
"Giving someone money above their worth simply because you're desperate is a terrible team building decision."

sorry, don't know how to cross-thread quote

That's where the debate lies, tho, right? I am not certain what the number is that is "above his worth"
I’d sign DeBrusk

Was outstanding last night with Zacha & Pastrnak. Unfortunately didn’t score

He’s playing well

I’d offer 6/$40 M = $6.25 M

4 years NMC then modified trade 16 teams

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
7.X is giving me the willies right now, and I don't do personally
6.X is going to be annoying every second year. But maybe this is what has to happen
5.X is probably what Boston is offering, and his camp isn't accepting

Tough spot.

Reactions: Bodit9 and HustleB

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Barf
There are a lot of really good, gritty 3rd and 4th line forwards available and some decent D. There are too few top 6 centers available which means Sweeney will have to trade for one. That means Ullmark plus for one.

No I am not comfortable with Coyle and Zacha as top 2 centers going forward.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
I'm pulling for him. His stretches of M.I.A on the scoresheet have been well chronicled already. He has turned into a pretty solid 2 way player for us though.

I'm not sure that THIS team should be offering anything more than 5.5-6 mil for him imo. We'll see how it plays out. Need em' to start burying some pucks regardless.

Reactions: Gordoff

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I’d sign DeBrusk

Was outstanding last night with Zacha & Pastrnak. Unfortunately didn’t score

He’s playing well

I’d offer 6/$40 M = $6.25 M

4 years NMC then modified trade 16 teams

I think that’s a little rich for Jake. Looking up players with similar ages and PPG they come in around 6-6.5% of the cap. With the cap bump next year that would equate to a 5.25-5.675m cap hit. I wouldn’t go over that for Jake as I believe some years he’ll be worth a 6.25m contract but other years I think we’ll be wondering what we need to pair with him to dump the contract.

And I’m happy he’s playing better, but at a certain point, you need to make a difference on the score board. We’re not paying him for effort, we’re paying him for results. The fact we have to applaud his effort and play every few weeks when he turns it on is exactly why he is such a frustrating player to watch.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think that’s a little rich for Jake. Looking up players with similar ages and PPG they come in around 6-6.5% of the cap. With the cap bump next year that would equate to a 5.25-5.675m cap hit. I wouldn’t go over that for Jake as I believe some years he’ll be worth a 6.25m contract but other years I think we’ll be wondering what we need to pair with him to dump the contract.

And I’m happy he’s playing better, but at a certain point, you need to make a difference on the score board. We’re not paying him for effort, we’re paying him for results. The fact we have to applaud his effort and play every few weeks when he turns it on is exactly why he is such a frustrating player to watch.
I like his game and I look at a broader picture that has many components

I’d do that deal every day of the week

He’s got high hockey IQ. I would put him across from Pastrnak and leave him there and Zacha center

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think Jake will have a tough time in free agency just like Bertuzzi did. Teams aren't looking to spend big on a 25 point player 52 games in, and for 6 years? yikes
I think the rest of the league has made their thoughts on how they view DeBrusk very clear with what they've allegedly offered via trade the last 2-3 years, which hasn't been much of anything. Granted, every year is different. I'd be stunned if his best offer didn't come from Sweeney.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Jake will have a tough time in free agency just like Bertuzzi did. Teams aren't looking to spend big on a 25 point player 52 games in, and for 6 years? yikes

Um……

I think the rest of the league has made their thoughts on how they view DeBrusk very clear with what they've allegedly offered via trade the last 2-3 years, which hasn't been much of anything. Granted, every year is different. I'd be stunned if his best offer didn't come from Sweeney.
False

Would you bet a weeks paycheck hooked up to a lie detector you typed this believing it

Reactions: Bradely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad