Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I certainly wouldnt roll over and just hand him a blank check... but i didnt want him getting upset either. I think this guy might disappear if he became too unhappy

his dad is a fine tv guy but as a player was a bit of a coach problem... not really wanting to do the job he was paid for... bouncing around the nhl thinking he was better than he really was

dont get me wrong… jake has the skillz to be good. I fully think with the 'right' linemakes he could just spring a 65-75 point season on us all. but honestly, I dont think krejci brings out the best in debrusk.

they have whatever success they have despite each other. when debrusk is on a hot streak we see he is mostly excelling due to solo efforts. as for krejci, hes been rather consistent his entire career and doesnt really get a boost from debrusk.

I think if debrusk had a more dynamic skater with him it could help... but until that happens, keep the contract reasonable.

colin white just signed for under 5 mill and is going to be a front line center in Ottawa. it should turn out to be a great value contract. id offer debrusk the same long term security at the same price and hope he stays hungry.

but then id try to find him the right linemate

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He’s still had some really good moments to start the year IMO, but between the bad luck through callbacks, bad luck overall, and not always consistent play, it’s been tough to get him going.

I’m still not nearly worried. “Consistency” has always been a bit of a battle for him. He doesn’t exactly stay play a style that doesn’t create bumps and bruises, sometimes self inflicted. Still think he’s bound to start producing very soon.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
He’s still had some really good moments to start the year IMO, but between the bad luck through callbacks, bad luck overall, and not always consistent play, it’s been tough to get him going.

I’m still not nearly worried. “Consistency” has always been a bit of a battle for him. He doesn’t exactly stay play a style that doesn’t create bumps and bruises, sometimes self inflicted. Still think he’s bound to start producing very soon.

Well we REALLY hope so. The alternative is that Debrusk, Zboril and Seny were all consecutive misses in a ridiculous draft class. Debrusk HAS to turn it around.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A lot needs to happen soon with this team, at least the guy potted 27 last year.

yep, as I have mentioned in this thread, my "issue" with Jake has been during his short and young career that when he`s not getting offensive results, too often it shows in struggles when he doesn`t have the puck with lack of focus and making ill conceived plays

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
yep, as I have mentioned in this thread, my "issue" with Jake has been during his short and young career that when he`s not getting offensive results, too often it shows in struggles when he doesn`t have the puck with lack of focus and making ill conceived plays
Which you could say the opposite with some other players when they hardly produce anything offensively.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Which you could say the opposite with some other players when they hardly produce anything offensively.

Jake`s not alone and I speak not just to Bruin players when this happens. Power outage in the offensive zone and it creeps into a players overall focus and attention to the details all over the ice.

It may sound like I don`t like the guy, not true, love the kid and these ups and downs will still happen but we have almost 30 pages hammering Brett freakin Ritchie and Jake, IMO, has an overall game right now that is less efficient than Ritchie`s

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't like his inconsistency, he needs to fix that. This business of disappearing for 5-6 games then going on a mini tear of 5-6 games is bull****.

I get frustrated by Cassidy's insistence on keeping him on the second line no matter what. And what is he doing on the 1st PP unit? He gets a lot of rope, more than other players in his situation, that's for sure. He is a good player when he's on, but when not, he's about as useful as David Backes.

Reactions: Estlin and BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Have talked to a ton of fans of opposing teams who say they’d love to have JDB on their team. Love his energy and offensive ability, just like us. Should he be shuffled down the lineup to try to find his game? Yes, perhaps.

The doom and gloom act after a slow start is predictable but should really stop. He’s just starting his third year in the league.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Have talked to a ton of fans of opposing teams who say they’d love to have JDB on their team. Love his energy and offensive ability, just like us. Should he be shuffled down the lineup to try to find his game? Yes, perhaps.

The doom and gloom act after a slow start is predictable but should really stop. He’s just starting his third year in the league.

Exactly. Also no need to to bring up the 2015 draft. He’s here now. It’s irrelevant where he was drafted in a strong class and how Zboril and Senyshyn look.

My favorite thing about JDB is that his motor doesn’t quit. Bruins are super lucky to have him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No one is saying trade the guy for crying out loud. He's a good player who has problems with consistency. Maybe it's a young guy thing, maybe not. He's good but he's playing like crap right now for whatever reason, and he went missing for stretches the past two seasons also. It ought to be okay to call it out. We've got 10,000 pages about Brett friggin Ritchie and another 20,000 about David Backes. JDB is a more important player to the Bruins than either of those guys. Some time on a different line might do him good. Maybe he'd look good with Coyle and Heinen.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Fellowship of the miserable and it's always the same damn posters.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wonder if we are looking at a guy who might end up topping out as a Geoff courtnall type? im not sure im smart enough to see a lot of difference in their respective game style

courtnall had just 33 goals in his first 133 games for us... struggled a lot in his third season with just the 13 goals... ended up breaking out a bit in season 4 with a 32 goal season but then got traded because they felt like he was frustrating the team that wanted more consistency and effort defensive

courtnall finished his career over 1000 games and 367 goals... I think we ended up missing him and the scoring depth he gave to a lot of teams. courtnall actually had a lot of sandpaper to his game and averaged almost 1.5 pm per game through his career... that might be a bit different than debrusk or just different eras they play?

ive seen so many second line guys like this come and go in my 45 years as a fan... and I guess its normal to always wonder why they cant step up and become first line players. why do they always leave us feeling a little disappointed? honestly, if theres 1 thing I feel I learnt... maybe sometimes its ok to be a good second line scorer that can put up 30 goals with second line pp time and not necessarily playing with your team's best 2 players.

debrusk might be a guy that doesnt show up every night... maybe he even has a stretch of 10 games where he 'slumps' a bit... but if hes right around that 30 goal mark by the end of the year he will have lived up to my expectations. he has to be considered a danger by the other side once playoffs roll around too. hes an important part of our depth up front.

dont get too hard on this kid, or you will contribute to the same negative mojo that runs guys like Geoff courtnall out of town. our ownership/management loves grit and thinks grit is the ONLY thing that fans love too. When skill players draw critism from the fans it becomes much easier for the management to feel its ok to trade another skill guy out of town

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's early days. Jake's had a center who hasn't been fully fit and was short on pre-season prep, and while I actually really like Kuhlman and don't have a problem with him playing in the spot in the absence of an alternative, he's punching above his weight being on the 2nd line so he's not going to be a guy who can take the lead in bringing the combination into form.

At this stage in his career neither is DeBrusk. He needs players and plays he can work off and take advantage of, and he's not getting much of that yet. And he's a confidence player - sink a couple of goals (that actually count) and he could be away and firing. No doubt we really need him scoring since he's not really there for much else, but if I was in the coaching staff I'd still just be patient with him for now.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think you need to get JDB with someone that he can feed off of. Give him someone like Coyle whose a more explosive player compared to Krejci, and let JDB feed off that energy. Nothing against Krejci, he just plays a more methodical game and I think JDB would be better suited playing on a more uptempo line. Heinen could actually compliment Krejci well IMO.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think you need to get JDB with someone that he can feed off of. Give him someone like Coyle whose a more explosive player compared to Krejci, and let JDB feed off that energy. Nothing against Krejci, he just plays a more methodical game and I think JDB would be better suited playing on a more uptempo line. Heinen could actually compliment Krejci well IMO.
I think this is the perfect opportunity to try DeBrusk - Coyle - Heinen. DeBrusk - Krejci - Heinen statistically was a great line last season. I think it also gives Coyle and Heinen, who have formed some chemistry, a player who can pot some goals on their line. I also agree with you about Heinen's game fitting more with Krejci than DeBrusk's.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad