Jake Allen

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

Brutally honest self assessment. I respect him for that.

If only he would never turn his back on a puck and could glue his sorry ass to the crease he could be alright. But, time and the again he proves he can't stay square to anything and lacks the necessary cocentration to be a goalie at any level. He's got the tools but lost the freaking tool box.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Brutally honest self assessment. I respect him for that.

If only he would never turn his back on a puck and could glue his sorry ass to the crease he could be alright. But, time and the again he proves he can't stay square to anything and lacks the necessary cocentration to be a goalie at any level. He's got the tools but lost the freaking tool box.
He needs fresh start. Somewhere that every bad goal doesn’t make everyone think “here we go again”.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
That was a classic Allen start. Everything goes decent until he lets in a backbreaking goal, then it all goes to ****.

The craziest thing is that all these backbreaker goals are things you'll rarely see, except Allen has made them a norm.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
How is the hell does that turd sandwich have the 2nd most starts out of any goalie ever in Blues history

He ruins the game for me...can’t even enjoy it when he wins anymore
That just speaks to the state of goalies in the Blues system over the years. Cujo was probably the last good goalie developed in the Blues system that had long term success with the team, and even he was rode out on a rail. Ben Bishop has success with other teams. Here is a list of shame, and check out the average time that goalies spend with the organization. This has been a position of instability for years. So many goalies making it one or two years. St. Louis Blues Goalies | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Bendak

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Oh so he’s 3rd all time right behind CUJO. I think that is a sign for the organization that it’s finally time to cut ties. They must do it before he passes Joseph

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Oh so he’s 3rd all time right behind CUJO. I think that is a sign for the organization that it’s finally time to cut ties. They must do it before he passes Joseph
He's third in games played, and tied with CuJo for 2nd in all-time wins at 137. If they'd beaten Montreal, he'd be the 2nd winningest goalie in Blues history by himself. He's 14 wins behind Liut, and if he played well this year he could conceivably get there.

But I think he's already in first place for being the all-time Bluesiest goalie. I just don't understand how he can have some of the bad things happen that happen. If anyone ever got sniped by the opposing goalie launching a full-rink shot that beats him glove-side, in the history of hockey, it would be Allen that misses it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If the Blues didn’t look to move Allen in the offseason I get it. He’s basically insurance and would hopefully get the team by if Binnington stumbled. I went into this season expecting Allen to benefit from playing the weaker teams but at the same time be the Allen we’re used to seeing. He’ll make the incredible save and five minutes later allows one that’s a head scratcher.

It is what it is but I would say there’s no chance he should still be on next year’s roster.

Reactions: Fitrix and Bendak

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think it will come down to unloaded him for a pick and retaining salary that would be commensurate with the cap relief from a buyout at the TDL or draft.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
That was a classic Allen start. Everything goes decent until he lets in a backbreaking goal, then it all goes to ****.

The craziest thing is that all these backbreaker goals are things you'll rarely see, except Allen has made them a norm.
Just remember, we couldn't find anyone else better in the offseason.

How is the hell does that turd sandwich have the 2nd most starts out of any goalie ever in Blues history

He ruins the game for me...can’t even enjoy it when he wins anymore
A large part of it is because (1) the Blues cleared everything in front of him to make sure he was the #1 guy before he'd actually earned it, and (2) even when other guys were clearly playing better, coaches went out of their way to make sure he was still the #1 guy.

He's third in games played, and tied with CuJo for 2nd in all-time wins at 137. If they'd beaten Montreal, he'd be the 2nd winningest goalie in Blues history by himself. He's 14 wins behind Liut, and if he played well this year he could conceivably get there.
As noted elsewhere, it speaks to the (lack of) quality and longevity of Blues goaltending over the years.

But I think he's already in first place for being the all-time Bluesiest goalie.
I'm red-carding this, only because all that "this is so Blues" shit died permanently on June 12, 2019. If you want to say "this is so Allen" I'm all for it.

I just don't understand how he can have some of the bad things happen that happen. If anyone ever got sniped by the opposing goalie launching a full-rink shot that beats him glove-side, in the history of hockey, it would be Allen that misses it.
All that's really missing is
-- The opposition being on the PK and clearing the zone by throwing the puck down the ice, and it somehow goes past Allen and into the net
-- Him coming out to play a routine puck, f***ing it up epically, and the puck sliding back into the net. [Bonus points if he directs it in himself.]

And, it being Allen, there's amply reason to believe he'll do all of that on one play.

Reactions: Thallis and Bendak

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues will do everything in their power to get Husso on the roster next season. They have to. Barring a huge collapse by him, this is the last season he needs to be in the AHL. Allen won't be back.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Still haven't heard @Brian39 take on Allen's performance and his early predictions about Allen being good back-up goaltender and contract being good where Allen really stands now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Blues will do everything in their power to get Husso on the roster next season. They have to. Barring a huge collapse by him, this is the last season he needs to be in the AHL. Allen won't be back.
It's this line of thinking that entrenched Allen in the Blues' crease for the better part of the past decade. The organization can't afford to anoint any goalie to the NHL roster until they're ready.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's this line of thinking that entrenched Allen in the Blues' crease for the better part of the past decade. The organization can't afford to anoint any goalie to the NHL roster until they're ready.
I feel like you didn’t read my whole post at all.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Well this would be a little different no? Husso would clearly be the backup. It’s a far cry from anointing him the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad