Jake Allen

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
If we carry three goalies, that is just extra cap going towards the ceiling unless there is a LTIR situation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but sending Allen down to the AHL does not reduce his cap hit since he has a one-way contract.

I think the only way Husso is up this season is with an injury or a trade.
Any player sent to minors has 1 million reduced from their cap hit(its actually like 1.035 mil or something but i dont remember exact number).

So if allen was sent to minors, his cap hit would be 3.25 instead of 4.25 million essentially. Hussos cap hit would be 700,000 while we subtract 1 mil from allen so while we wouldnt save much wed at least be able to do it and not go over cap.

Edit: as someone else posted amount is 1.075 million

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
What are we going to do with Allen? Should Husso get chance to play up?
And let Husso get 3 games a month? I'd rather let him continue getting minutes in SA and continuing to hone his skills down there and be ready when it is his time. Unless Binnington suddenly starts to show wear, you ride him and use Allen on back to backs or when we can afford to use him against another team.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What are we going to do with Allen? Should Husso get chance to play up?
If Allen keeps playing like this, yes. I haven’t been tracking Husso this year very closely, but if he’s returned to his previous level, he’s going to force his way past Allen.

Reactions: teddygmr

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If Allen keeps playing like this, yes. I haven’t been tracking Husso this year very closely, but if he’s returned to his previous level, he’s going to force his way past Allen.
If they do anything, it will be Wilcox coming up to ride the pine. Husso needs to prove he can shoulder the load for the season and have a full season under the Blues tutelage before bringing him up here. I still don't believe they are going to do anything with Jake until the offseason. Too many unknowns and cap space riding on this.

Reactions: Dbrownss

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If they do anything, it will be Wilcox coming up to ride the pine. Husso needs to prove he can shoulder the load for the season and have a full season under the Blues tutelage before bringing him up here. I still don't believe they are going to do anything with Jake until the offseason. Too many unknowns and cap space riding on this.
I don’t think Wilcox is under contract to the Blues. I think he’s on an AHL contract. If that is accurate, the only way they could do that is to sign him to an NHL deal.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don’t think Wilcox is under contract to the Blues. I think he’s on an AHL contract. If that is accurate, the only way they could do that is to sign him to an NHL deal.
I thought he played in a pre-season game and assumed that he was on contract. And we don't have the roster space for that do we?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues are in financial position to where they don't have to panic but my god....its hard to justify Allen getting ANY play time. Bring up the backup from SA and send Jake there. He's getting a hell of a paycheck, so I dont feel bad.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Even if Allen plays like shit, I still don’t want Husso up here. Let him play in San Antonio.

I wanted to add someone like Domingue for a cheap alternative option

Reactions: 67Blues

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Per CapFriendly, Wilcox was not signed by the Blues.

Hofer, Fitzpatrick and Husso are the goalies under contract by the Blues.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Trying to find someone to take Allen should be Army's number one priority over the next year. That money is going to be crucial this next off season and we can't have it tied up .850 SV% backup goalie. If I am Army any move I try to make this year I try to tack Allen + a 2nd round pick on and see what shakes out.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Does Army need to consider not letting Husso play more than 40 NHL games so he doesn’t become a cheap backup G pick for Seattle? This is especially a problem if Husso is called up and plays better then expected.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
While I do understand the urgency to ditch Allen, I will be pissed if we give up a pick to do that. Especially a 2nd. I would rather try and package him with Fabbri. They both need a change of scenery, perhaps it would benefit both the players and the team.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We have to hope that Allen can play well in 5 or 6 consecutive starts at a time when a team needs a goalie. We have to jump on the first chance that presents to move him without giving anything up. We can worry about our backup position after that.

Does Army need to consider not letting Husso play more than 40 NHL games so he doesn’t become a cheap backup G pick for Seattle? This is especially a problem if Husso is called up and plays better then expected.
That isn't a consideration. As long as we protect Binnington then Husso will always be an option for Seattle in the expansion draft. He'd need to come a long way in the next 18 months for them to consider him over other players we'll have to expose.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Even if Allen plays like ****, I still don’t want Husso up here. Let him play in San Antonio.

I wanted to add someone like Domingue for a cheap alternative option

We are just going to have to live with it. No team will want Jake Allen at this point. Not even as a backup.
A few Devils fans are seemingly down with Fabbri, Allen, Dunn & STL 1st for Hall & Domingue.
I think the quicker the Blues can purge Allen, the better...and Army realizes this.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
A few Devils fans are seemingly down with Fabbri, Allen, Dunn & STL 1st for Hall & Domingue.
I think the quicker the Blues can purge Allen, the better...and Army realizes this.
I just hate to give up another first as our cupboard is getting pretty bare for prospects. I still think they just get him in around 20 games this year and buy him out in the offseason when the cap hit isn't too bad for the next two years.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The Blues could get plenty of starts for Husso in both the NHL and the AHL if they wanted to, I just don't think they're ready to do that to Allen yet. To accomplish this, they could shuttle Husso back and forth from San Antonio to St. Louis to cover the back-to-back games where they want someone other than Binnington to start. As long as a missed AHL start was replaced by an NHL start, you could still manage his workload and keep him busy, though he would probably be spending more time on a plane than you would like.

The problem is that they would have to do one of two things with Allen - they would either have to put him on waivers and send him to the AHL or carry three goalies on the roster and healthy scratch him for the games where they promote Husso to start. I don't see the organization willing to embarrass Allen in that way (nor can I see them tanking his value as such) but you have to hit the player square between the eyes and let him know that these brain farts can't continue or he's going to find himself out of the league for good.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The Blues could get plenty of starts for Husso in both the NHL and the AHL if they wanted to, I just don't think they're ready to do that to Allen yet. To accomplish this, they could shuttle Husso back and forth from San Antonio to St. Louis to cover the back-to-back games where they want someone other than Binnington to start. As long as a missed AHL start was replaced by an NHL start, you could still manage his workload and keep him busy, though he would probably be spending more time on a plane than you would like.

The problem is that they would have to do one of two things with Allen - they would either have to put him on waivers and send him to the AHL or carry three goalies on the roster and healthy scratch him for the games where they promote Husso to start. I don't see the organization willing to embarrass Allen in that way (nor can I see them tanking his value as such) but you have to hit the player square between the eyes and let him know that these brain farts can't continue or he's going to find himself out of the league for good.
If they do that, where Allen gets zero starts and only gets an occasionally mop up duty, you drive his value to zero. The only path that leads is buyout, and I don't think Army is at that point yet.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
if Hall was signed longer than just this year, I would do that.

Fabbri, a late 1st and allen are nothing of value lost, dunn would be missed however. he has played very well since our turnaround last year.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Is this for an extended Hall or a rental? Rental, not a chance. Extension, yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad