Jake Allen

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lets wait this conversation. I'll promise I'M going to talk about him after this season. :naughty:

Create poll etc.

Lets focus on current Stanley Cup Finals.

Lets Go Blues! :bb:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Btw what is status you get name on Stanley Cup? How many games you need to play or BE healthy scratch? Etc

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Jake with his first save in months last night!

How do we think he's dealing with seeing his team succeed while he's riding the pine?

Internally, I'm sure it is very bittersweet, probably leaning more towards bitter. Goalies want to play. I've never been happy to be sitting the bench instead of playing, but part of your job is accepting your role, being a good teammate, and being supportive of the other guy.

By all accounts, Allen has been a fantastic teammate. There have been multiple quotes/articles/reports that he has embraced the role and is being a good teammate. He isn't pouting on the bench and he appears genuinely happy for Binny.

Frankly, I don't really care how this all plays out long term. I care that he is doing everything he can to contribute to the positive energy in the room and put in the practice work expected of a bachup during the players. He seems to be doing that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Btw what is status you get name on Stanley Cup? How many games you need to play or BE healthy scratch? Etc

For automatic engraving anyone on the team's roster at the end of the year who played 41+ regular season games for the team or 1+ games in the Cup Final are automatically engraved. This includes dressing as the backup goalie.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So guy like MacMac doesn't get name on Stanley Cup IF he doesn't play in these finals?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep....19&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=gamesPlayed
Correct, especially since he hasn't played in any of the playoff games so far. The only alternative is if the team asks for an exemption [i.e., player was injured much of the year] or if the player was up much of the year but didn't play in the required number of games. I don't know that MacEachern would get it; he didn't play his first game until January 10 and exactly half the season was gone at that point.

Plus, there's a 52-name total limit so that might come into play. But, we're 3 wins away from having to worry about any of that.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Jake with his first save in months last night!

How do we think he's dealing with seeing his team succeed while he's riding the pine?

I think anyone wants to be playing and winning the cup on the ice, but at the end of the day if the Blues can close out this series with 3 more wins, he still becomes a Stanley Cup Champion and gets his name on the Cup, a ring, etc.

Also personally I'm fine with having Allen in a backup role, I think he's probably better suited for it. Love him or hate him we wouldn't be here without the wins he got us early in the season.

Reactions: shmotz

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I saw someone on the mains last week bring up an Allen for Craig Anderson swap. He’s only got one year left, and then Husso can take the backup job after that. His numbers haven’t been good the last two years, but that team has been terrible. I think he’d be more than fine with 30ish games behind our defense.

Reactions: shmotz and simon IC

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
So are we in an agreement that he was the sole reason for us missing the playoffs in 17-18? We would have again missed the playoffs this year had Binnington not came in to save us from Allen.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I think this group was, as a majority, willing to give Allen more of a chance than I suppose most would. It’s so silly for anyone to sit here and act like they know everything. The people paid to make these decisions get it wrong all the time. Sometimes you give up on a guy too early and sometimes you don’t give up when you should. Who knows?

I will say this, the guy is an athletic freak which is reason enough for me to test the waters longer than I normally would. It didn’t work out. Oh well. Stop acting like everyone here is still an Allen apologist. It isn’t a good look.

Reactions: MissouriMook

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think this group was, as a majority, willing to give Allen more of a chance than I suppose most would. It’s so silly for anyone to sit here and act like they know everything. The people paid to make these decisions get it wrong all the time. Sometimes you give up on a guy too early and sometimes you don’t give up when you should. Who knows?

I will say this, the guy is an athletic freak which is reason enough for me to test the waters longer than I normally would. It didn’t work out. Oh well. Stop acting like everyone here is still an Allen apologist. It isn’t a good look.

To be fair a lot of people said we wouldn't win a Cup with Jake Allen and they were right. As a backup who wont be required to step up as a Starter, he's legit but not at 4m. Anything else, forget it.

Reactions: Bendak

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sixteen more wins and Allen becomes the Blues all-time leader.

He'd also be 2nd all-time in games played by a goalie, so that makes sense. He is 7th all time (20 games or more) in win %, being beaten by legends Brent Johnson and Roman Turek. His win percentage numbers are bolstered by the elimination of ties causing more wins, as well as playing for some of the better Blues teams. He's also 9th all time in save percentage and 13 in GAA. If you include playoff wins, he'd actually need 24 more wins, as he trails Liut by 8 playoff wins as well 15 regular season wins. He is 10th all time in playoff wins.

That's not to knock him (or at least thats not the sole reason), but rather give some context to the stats. He did have to play well enough to earn those games played and sticking with the team long enough to collect so many wins is an accomplishment. Teams don't often win in spite of their goalie. The context does show he is probably not one of the Blues top 5 all time goalies despite the wins, and a single stats in a vacuum doesn't often tell much.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Internally, I'm sure it is very bittersweet, probably leaning more towards bitter. Goalies want to play. I've never been happy to be sitting the bench instead of playing, but part of your job is accepting your role, being a good teammate, and being supportive of the other guy.

By all accounts, Allen has been a fantastic teammate. There have been multiple quotes/articles/reports that he has embraced the role and is being a good teammate. He isn't pouting on the bench and he appears genuinely happy for Binny.

Frankly, I don't really care how this all plays out long term. I care that he is doing everything he can to contribute to the positive energy in the room and put in the practice work expected of a bachup during the players. He seems to be doing that.
I would be positive for other players if I get paid 4.350mill$/ year and then go flip flopping in the net couple times. After this contract I think Allen will be announce retirement. I don't believe there is team in NHL level who would take Allen in their team for league min. for back-up role. Its pity, 'cus he had great toolbox, but his mental game is too fragile at this level of hockey.

and mods, please don't lock this tread. There is really problematic situation with our back-up goaltender. What we have to do with him and who is going to take his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad