Jake Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR10*

Allen is 10-3-1 in his 14 games, which is better than Elliotts record btw. I felt that much of the goals he let in he was screened by Blues players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Allen is 10-3-1 in his 14 games, which is better than Elliotts record btw. I felt that much of the goals he let in he was screened by Blues players.

W-L records for goalies on top teams really doesn't prove that much. At the end of the day Allen is performing his role great and will have growing pains in the NHL as he develops, but it's clear he isn't quite ready to carry the main load in the NHL as the starter, and Elliott can. It's also another reason why signing Brodeur was great because it provides another mentor for Allen to learn from. Allen can pick Brodeur's brain on how to carry the NHL load and other things that Elliott and Corsi can't provide.

As it currently stands, I would not feel comfortable with Allen as our playoff starter, but I do believe that by the end of the season, I will be confident.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll be fine with Allen being the starter in a year or 2. He was blown up in the AHL playoffs, no way I'd have him shoulder the load this year with the pressure the Blues will face.

I wasn't too happy about the goals he allowed in Colorado, but it's easy to get distracted by that and not realize he kept it at 2-2 and allowed us to win in OT. If your goalie allows 2 or less..he did his job imo.

Now the home game against NY, he should have had all 3 of those, the Tavares goal was atrocious, but I've seen Rask let that one in too, the 2nd goal....yeesh, should of had it. And the Okposo was a snipe but he should of had that considering Okposo was on the far side of the circle.

I still have alot of hope for Allen but he's not going to be the Starter this year imo

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
It's also another reason why signing Brodeur was great because it provides another mentor for Allen to learn from. Allen can pick Brodeur's brain on how to carry the NHL load and other things that Elliott and Corsi can't provide.

Wish they would have Brodeur work with Allen on passing. His ability to get the puck out of the zone is great. Don't get me wrong, Allen is a solid stick handler.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wish they would have Brodeur work with Allen on passing. His ability to get the puck out of the zone is great. Don't get me wrong, Allen is a solid stick handler.

True, but I do think that's a skill of Brodeur's that simply can't be taught to other goalies. It's one of those, you either got it or you don't. A very unique skill for a goalie and Brodeur is just fantastic at it. It really is amazing how good he can start a rush by himself.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
True, but I do think that's a skill of Brodeur's that simply can't be taught to other goalies. It's one of those, you either got it or you don't. A very unique skill for a goalie and Brodeur is just fantastic at it. It really is amazing how good he can start a rush by himself.

It may be difficult to get much improvement from another goalie teaching one during practices and a few non-practice teaching sessions. but it's a skill that can be improved by the young goalie observing the expert do it, and practicing long hours at what he was shown. Like any other skill in life, some people are born with an innate ability to be better than average at it, but an average person can become not only proficient at it, but perhaps up to 80% as good as the best by being dedicated, and putting in the practicing time to hone the skill.

I saw that in my own case in improving my skating, slap shot, wrist shot, using leverage on hits and trying to knock an opponent off the puck, timing on making tape-to-tape passes, and getting advantages on face-offs. If one watches and listens, and applies those tips in massive hours of practice in non-game and real game situations.

Last edited:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
It may be difficult to get much improvement from another goalie teaching one during practices and a few non-practice teaching sessions. but it's a skill that can be improved by the young goalie observing the expert do it, and practicing long hours at what he was shown. Like any other skill in life, some people are born with an innate ability to be better than average at it, but an average person can become not only proficient at it, but perhaps up to 80% as good as the best by being dedicated, and putting in the practicing time to hone the skill.

I saw that in my own case in improving my skating, slap shot, wrist shot, using leverage on hits and trying to knock an opponent off the puck, timing on making tape-to-tape passes, and getting advantages on face-offs. If one watches and listens, and applies those tips in massive hours of practice in non-game and real game situations.

True but beung good at something doesn't make a good coach at that thing. Bas coachs can also worsen a situation: double edge.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Jake is fine. It's the bozos in front of him that I'd be more concerned about, and I'm not talking about forwards.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Jake is fine. It's the bozos in front of him that I'd be more concerned about, and I'm not talking about forwards.

Allen deserves as much blame as the defense. He's consistently letting in at least a softie per game. That just can't happen. He'll be fine in the long run but he's not giving us more than mediocre goaltending right now.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Why are you giving everyone other than the defense a pass for lackluster back checking, zone coverage, and poor goaltending? Jake is a nice backup option at this point, But there's absolutely no question that Elliott is clearly the better goalie now. Allen is experiencing some growing pains that should be expected of a rookie goalie. It rarely looks quite as bad as Lindbohm's turnover last game, but the concept is more or less the same. Rookie player making some rookie mistakes.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

He has a sub .900 sv%, he is not fine. I'm not saying trade him, but let's not bury our heads in the sand.

He is a long way from being a starting goalie, he shows moments with a lot of promise and he show moments of hopelessness. The fans were going crazy from him a couple of year ago when he had a .905 sv%. He done well to come in and steady the ship at that point, but people lost some perspective.

And before anyone says, you are absolutely right that it isn't all about sv% and it is about winning games. If Allen had a history of doing that when the pressure was on at lower levels of hockey, then I'd tend to agree that Allen was fine. He doesn't have that history.

I still think he'll develop into a solid goalie for us, but he's a backup now. Can't wait to see Elliott back between the pipes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The return of Elliott will probably put this team at ease as well. It's not that they don't trust Allen, but I do think they are playing to protect him and that is getting them off their game and just making things worse.

Anytime you have a goalie that isn't playing to their best, you naturally try to over-compensate, and the problem with that is the over-compensating, which is more harm than good. There is more faith in Elliott to make the big stop, so you don't have to worry about making a mistake, and that leads to less mistakes.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Allen has, and always has had, all the tools to be an elite goalie. With that said, it seems to pour when it does rain for him -- and has throughout his career (at all levels).

The only battle Allen has left to win takes place between his ears.

I still have high hopes for him, but I certainly thought his stretches of rampant subpar play were going to be behind him. I don't pretend to know a lot about the goaltending position, but I was excited to see how Allen's 1-1 skills would look in our system. He's probably the best open lane goalie we've had in some time. He looked razor sharp at first, but has since been pulled out of position regularly.

I'm excited for Elliott to come back. Allen is a fantastic back-up option, at this point in his career. I don't think this pour stretch of play tells us anything about who Allen is, but it does bring up how underrated Elliott is by our fanbase/the league.

Separately, I know there are a few netminders amongst these boards -- is it fair to say that Elliott and Allen are opposite one another in how they are in and out of traffic? Elliott seems to stop a ton of pucks through traffic and be somewhat weaker when it comes to the open lane shots. Whereas, Allen, on top of his game, lets in pucks more frequently through traffic, but is Quick-like stopping the open lane shots.

isleskovalchuk

May 20, 2007
Islanders fan here, but also follow the blues alot... Whats the deal with Allen? Is he going to play at all with Elliot healthy?

DangledUpinBlues

Oct 25, 2014
He'll get back-up minutes. Unlike years previous, the current strategy is to have a 1 and 2 guy instead of a 1a and 1b.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Islanders fan here, but also follow the blues alot... Whats the deal with Allen? Is he going to play at all with Elliot healthy?

He's the back-up. They gave him a little time "off" since he really started to falter when Elliott went down. Now that Elliott has re-established himself, and presumedly not suffering any lingering problems with the knee he is the starter again. Allen is the back-up, and Brodeur's days are probably numbered. Sending Paajarvi down allows the team to keep 3 goalies, but I really don't think that's a long-term plan.

But recently, Brodeur is a healthy scratch and Allen is on the bench.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If teams keep shooting high glove side on Elliott, Allen will be seeing a lot more time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We just need to pump the brakes on him. He is talent wise better then Elliott, but his head isn't there yet. Over the next 3yrs, he should evolve into the starter we hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad