Jake Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I don't see a problem with Jake. he was fine until Elliott went down and got all the pressure put on him. I think Jake will be fine.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I agree, I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. He can play better, and he will.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
He was supposed to the backup this year anyway and he'll do fine in that role. It's important not lose perspective here.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Brodeur was slated to start that game before Allen was pulled, and they're just sticking to the schedule. Frankly, it just needs to be run as a meritocracy and you play whoever is playing better. Hard to be critical of anything Brodeur did in the Islanders game. I'm sure Allen will keep getting his chances, too.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think Brodeur was slated to start that game before Allen was pulled, and they're just sticking to the schedule. Frankly, it just needs to be run as a meritocracy and you play whoever is playing better. Hard to be critical of anything Brodeur did in the Islanders game. I'm sure Allen will keep getting his chances, too.

I agree that Brodeur was good in the Islanders game. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the start but I thought we were rolling with Allen as number one and would allow him to have a bounce back game Monday since it wasn't a back-to-back.

I wasn't aware that Brodeur was scheduled to start Monday anyway so that changes things for me a little bit.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I agree that Brodeur was good in the Islanders game. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the start but I thought we were rolling with Allen as number one and would allow him to have a bounce back game Monday since it wasn't a back-to-back.

I wasn't aware that Brodeur was scheduled to start Monday anyway so that changes things for me a little bit.

Its just my speculation that Brodeur was going to start that game. I think they are probably alternating starts unless something happens.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You play the hot hand, simple as that. Allen played like crap, Brodeur didn't, so Allen will wait his turn just like in any other tandem.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't care who starts in net, I just want the team to play better in front of them.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't see any issue giving Brodeur the start against the Panthers. I would think that'd mean Allen starts against the Islanders again on Thursday. Allen will be given time to regroup until Thursday and then given an opportunity to rebound versus the tougher assignment. Brodeur is just fulfilling the back up role. I expect our back up to receive starts against mediocre teams like the Panthers.

As far as Allen goes, I'd like to see his calm, technical demeanor back. He seems to scramble quickly and struggle positionally with pressure. Bring back the stoicism and the positioning will follow. Allen's just bending under some pressure and developing. So far I think it's a little of both. He'll be in the spotlight until Elliott returns. This is the perfect opportunity to show what kind of game he can bring and make a case for him to be a starter in the near future.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Let's see - we have a coach who's facing probably his last chance to win a Cup.

He's got a Hall of Fame goalie or a rookie - who's he gonna pick?

Brodeur stays, Allen back to Chicago as soon as Elliott returns.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's a rookie. Picking apart his game is unnecessary.

I don't really think critiquing his mistakes picking his game apart. He's making some mistakes of late that he shouldn't be making, even if he is still a rookie. He's going through some growing pains, which is to be expected. It's also why I don't believe we should hand him the reigns as the starter this year. He has two great mentors right now, and I think he can learn a lot from both.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really think critiquing his mistakes picking his game apart. He's making some mistakes of late that he shouldn't be making, even if he is still a rookie. He's going through some growing pains, which is to be expected. It's also why I don't believe we should hand him the reigns as the starter this year. He has two great mentors right now, and I think he can learn a lot from both.
Like what mistakes should he not be making? It does matter that he's a rookie. He plays the toughest position in the game.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Like what mistakes should he not be making? It does matter that he's a rookie. He plays the toughest position in the game.

The third goal of the Islanders game is a perfect example. He simply has to hold on to that puck in his glove, rookie or not.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with his progress or that I don't think he will not take over eventually. The hard part is that a lot of the mistakes I'm seeing are very subtle but hugely important ones. I'm seeing mental mistakes like positional errors.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
Yeah, that people think sending Allen down is even an option at this point is completely astonishing.

Let's say Marty plays super solid, we carry three goalies, he splits starts when elliott comes back 60-40 and stands strong. Allen gets a game here and there and is a rebound machine. What do you do heading into the playoffs? Has any team carried 3 goalies in that situation?

I'm worried if all that happens army knows he's gone if they bow out of the first round so he trades Allen at the deadline.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Wasn't the plan all along to get rid of Brodeur once Elliott returns, regardless of how Marty plays???

You would either terminate his contract, or try to move him to another team.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
Armstrongs line has been "hopefully when elliott comes back and is ready to play we have some tough decisions to make"

I take that as carrying 3 goalies and giving Marty and jake press box starts, but what happens if Marty is steady and elliott is good as usual?

My concern is that if marty is super solid, and Allen has some shaky games they want to roll into the playoffs w marty. Real possibility to me.

It's all nothing if marty doesn't play stellar, but I think he is in a situation here to make a serious case for stealing the backup job. If that happens by the end of the season, do you go with the rookie with great skill, but has some shaky moments, or 3 Stanley cup worth of calming influence that's on the bench to back up elliott?

The future prefers Allen, but the now may prefer brodeur. It's a little early for the what ifs, but it's in the back of my mind.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Let's say Marty plays super solid, we carry three goalies, he splits starts when elliott comes back 60-40 and stands strong. Allen gets a game here and there and is a rebound machine. What do you do heading into the playoffs? Has any team carried 3 goalies in that situation?

I'm worried if all that happens army knows he's gone if they bow out of the first round so he trades Allen at the deadline.

Armstrong is going nowhere, and the same goes or Allen. We aren't moving a young goalie with so much promise for a few months of a veteran goalie.

As for the roster situation. it is highly unlikely that we'll carry 3 goalies. It creates too many headaches in practice and then it becomes difficult to stop that spilling over to discontent, irrespective of how good an attitude there is. We done it a few seasons ago because both Elliott and Jaro were playing like garbage and we didn't want to expose either to waivers. Halák and Elliott both handled that situation well enough, but it still needed to be a short term thing.

When Elliott comes back, he is our starter. He is our starter in the playoffs. Our view on Allen being capable isn't going to change on the back of a couple of rough starts.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014

Hitchcock already has a cup son, so does that bum Kirk Muller.

Allen stays, Brodeur becomes a barista by the trade deadline

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

He's got a Hall of Fame goalie or a rookie - who's he gonna pick?

Brodeur stays, Allen back to Chicago as soon as Elliott returns.

He'd be subject to waivers and picked up by another team. The Blues can't risk losing their future long-term goalie for 1 year run with Brodeur. If Brodeur stays, Allen might go to the pressbox.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Wasn't the plan all along to get rid of Brodeur once Elliott returns, regardless of how Marty plays???

You would either terminate his contract, or try to move him to another team.

What's going on right now is one of the exact reasons why I was against Brodeur being signed. Because this kind of speculation was going to happen, and the longer Elliot is out the more wild and crazy the speculation is gonna get. If he's out long enough and Brodeur out-play's Allen, demands are gonna start being made. Which can lead to GM's making stupid decisions, an example of which is Army buckling under the fan pressure from (in hindsight) idiots like me who screamed and hollered that Halak must go. Well I can admit that a lot of us were very wrong about that, and the mother of all stupid trades was made. I like our goalie tandem of Elliot & Allen, and I don't want to see that broken up because of this signing. Don't get me wrong I like Marty, he's playing well & it's a treat getting to see him don the blue note and play for my team.BUT IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM do I want Marty still on this team when Ells can return. And I definitely don't want a goalie controversy.

Reactions: BadNewsBlues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad