Jake Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
The issue with Miller was that Armstrong waited long into the season to acquire a goalie with a style that the coaching staff weren't keen on.

Still to this day I laugh at what is bolded, especially when the Blues gave Hirsch the big "F-you" and hire Jim Corsi of all people.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, I know what you mean. At times, Allen flops around and looks very athletic and good stopping shots that he probably shouldn't. At other times, he flops around and gets out of position and gives up shots he shouldn't; not as bad this year as last. That is what I have seen from Quick in a few games that I have seen with LA this year.
quick doesn't look near as sharp this year. This is why I would hate to build around a goalie. Way too much of a linchpin

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
No, he wouldn't. You're acting like Allen has only started to face struggles with the Blues. He's been the same goalie his entire career and has had the same knocks on him going back to Junior, that he's not very consistent and has struggled in high pressure situations.

The Miller thing was largely a cop out in search of a reason for why he didn't perform well here. There might be some truth to the fact that you get a little cold, but there are good goalies out there who don't face an avalanche of shots against (Rinne, Lundqvist). If you're good, you'll do your job.

I will give you that he hasn't shown up on the big stage. He does show up in big regular season games. He did it against the Hawks last year and previously in his time in the AHL.

His consistency issues seem overblown. He was very consistent in the AHL aside from a few games every so often. That is typical for every player in the game. Goalies illuminate the trend because they have a big impact on the game. But consistency is a relative term and compared to all goalies Jake is pretty well in line with the average.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Have Hitch settled for Allen as the number 1 golie by now? What ya'll guys think?

He's started the last 13 of 15. I think doubt is completely out the window. Even if they never cone out and say it, it's obvious

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm comfortable with Allen as the starter, and I wasn't before that stretch. He still has to work on his mental game - cutting out those positioning lapses (short side laziness). But, I'd have no trouble having Army trade Elliott after this season, if Binnington has an excellent season.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I'm comfortable with Allen as the starter, and I wasn't before that stretch. He still has to work on his mental game - cutting out those positioning lapses (short side laziness). But, I'd have no trouble having Army trade Elliott after this season, if Binnington has an excellent season.

that extra cap room would Come in handy

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I'd be more than comfortable with him back there. Pretty impressive in the Wolves games I saw. It isn't like their crew of defenders are rocks back there...more like pebbles... He made some saves even in games he didn't see much rubber for long stretches like the game against Iowa.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Elliott isn't paid so much. He's a good back-up to have, including next year. I wouldn't base a trade on anything going on the NHL with those two, but if one of the depth young goalies forces their hand through great play. I'm not sure that's come close to happening yet, at least in the AHL options.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I have come around that this is more than a stretch of great play. He hit a rough patch a couple weeks ago and was able to play himself out of it. In my mind, that was the last thing he had to do in order to truly take the starting job.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
As it turns out things can change in 3 years.
Nothing has changed. He has played one good Playoff series and without that he has been mediocre NHL goaltender, last season he was NHL one the worst starting goaltender. Still coaching staff will trust in him, funny we don't have those guys who said to Army extend Allen. Corsi and Brodeur. Boy Army is easy to misquide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->