Jake Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Armstrongs line has been "hopefully when elliott comes back and is ready to play we have some tough decisions to make"

I take that as carrying 3 goalies and giving Marty and jake press box starts, but what happens if Marty is steady and elliott is good as usual?

My concern is that if marty is super solid, and Allen has some shaky games they want to roll into the playoffs w marty. Real possibility to me.

It's all nothing if marty doesn't play stellar, but I think he is in a situation here to make a serious case for stealing the backup job. If that happens by the end of the season, do you go with the rookie with great skill, but has some shaky moments, or 3 Stanley cup worth of calming influence that's on the bench to back up elliott?

The future prefers Allen, but the now may prefer brodeur. It's a little early for the what ifs, but it's in the back of my mind.
Exactly! That was the first thing that popped in my head when I heard about the signing, and I don't want this team waiving or trading our future in net (possibly losing another All-Star, Olympic consideration, Veizna finalist like we did in Bishop, and like we might have in Allen now) on a gamble of whether Marty still has enough in the tank. The team he made famous moved on from the all time leader in wins for a reason, and part of that reason is because he's simply not a starting goalie anymore, especially on a contending team.

Elliot and Jake, with team defense in front of them can do this, I know in my heart they can. Which is why I wish they would have just let Allen man up and handle this stretch, giving Binny the a start in a b2b situation if necessary. One start two tops for Binnington (ready or not) was not gonna kill him, or destroy his development. Yeah we might have lost a few more games, (maybe not) but we wouldn't be in a situation like this where speculation is gonna run rampant, with who knows what happening at the end of it when Elliot's healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadNewsBlues

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I find it kind of incredible that the Blues can lose their starting goalie (who was playing at a high level) for an indefinite period of time, and the fans' biggest concern is that the interim plan may be too effective and lead to a controversy, rather than worrying about how the team will navigate that duration and stay in the playoff hunt.

Allen is doing just fine as a rookie, but the quickest way to ruin him is to put all the pressure on him with no reliable back-up. Binnington doesn't even enter the conversation yet.

I hope we DO have a controversy when Elliott is ready to go, with three guys playing lights-out. Because if not, then someone has disappointed and probably cost the team games.

Brodeur is a feel-good story. I find it easy to just enjoy the ride. He's not going to be the Blues' starter in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. A .910 save percentage from him would be a success. Why does everyone suddenly think Armstrong is too stupid to realize Allen fills a huge need for the future. Everything this team has done in goal lately points to the fact that they have confidence in Allen as the goalie of the next decade. Suddenly Amrstrong is going to piss him away with an infatuation on Brodeur?! Why not lose some sleep that he may trade Tarasenko for Yakupov, too....seems just as likely.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I find it kind of incredible that the Blues can lose their starting goalie (who was playing at a high level) for an indefinite period of time, and the fans' biggest concern is that the interim plan may be too effective and lead to a controversy, rather than worrying about how the team will navigate that duration and stay in the playoff hunt.

Allen is doing just fine as a rookie, but the quickest way to ruin him is to put all the pressure on him with no reliable back-up. Binnington doesn't even enter the conversation yet.

I hope we DO have a controversy when Elliott is ready to go, with three guys playing lights-out. Because if not, then someone has disappointed and probably cost the team games.

Brodeur is a feel-good story. I find it easy to just enjoy the ride. He's not going to be the Blues' starter in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. A .910 save percentage from him would be a success. Why does everyone suddenly think Armstrong is too stupid to realize Allen fills a huge need for the future. Everything this team has done in goal lately points to the fact that they have confidence in Allen as the goalie of the next decade. Suddenly Amrstrong is going to piss him away with an infatuation on Brodeur?! Why not lose some sleep that he may trade Tarasenko for Yakupov, too....seems just as likely.

I really hope you're 100% right, and I'm dead wrong.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I really hope you're 100% right, and I'm dead wrong.

It says a lot about how solid this team is performing (despite our frustrations with them falling below their potential so far) that 2 of the top 4 D are out, the starting goalie, Steen and maybe Backes for a while....and people are more worried about the ramifications of the fill-in goalie doing too well. NHL First World Problems.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hey, it's better than seeing everyone complain about Berglund or Ott. At least complaining about a fill-in goalie performing too well is easier to read. Since we have to complain about something, might as well be about something positive.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013

Just looking ahead, not "biggest concern". I wouldn't give it a second thought except for how our gm handled our goalie situation last year. That made an impression on me. I think everyone is enjoying the ride.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thanks - I didn't even know that.

Looks like Jake will have to take one for the team and fall down a flight of stairs.

Brodeur isn't going anywhere. He wants another playoff run.

It's been, what, three games? I'm happy as hell for the guy and I hope he lands on a good team. I have nothing against Brodeur at all.

But it's yet to be seen if he can sustain this play at this point in his career.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Brodeur's best chance to maintain his level of play and help the Blues is to limit his starts. Allen should start the next game. Maybe have them alternate under regular circumstances. I'm aware Martin was a workhorse in his prime, but that's what age does to you. It also happens to be the best thing for Allen, too (to get regular split starts).

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It says a lot about how solid this team is performing (despite our frustrations with them falling below their potential so far) that 2 of the top 4 D are out, the starting goalie, Steen and maybe Backes for a while....and people are more worried about the ramifications of the fill-in goalie doing too well. NHL First World Problems.

Nailed it.

Having 3 goalies playing well is arguably the best problem to have in sports. Could it make for a tough decision? Absolutely. But I would rather make a tough decision than watch this team struggle through injuries and find its way out of the top 3 in a very tough Central Dvision.

I really like Allen, but the last few weeks have exposed some holes in his game. His save percentage has been under .900 in 7 of his last 9 starts and he has been a rebound machine. I would be incredibly nervous rolling him night after night with a 21 year old backup. I believe that a month of that puts this team on the outside of the playoff picture by January and could do a lot of harm for his development.

I would much, much rather make a tough call to avoid that.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

A little more talk about us maybe trading Elliott. Does sort of makes me wonder what Edmonton would give for Berglund+Elliott. Brodeur might just prove to play well enough for a tandem role for this season and next.

Not saying that I'd support this type of move, but it does give Armstrong options. Also keep in mind, no substantial source has said that we are thinking about moving Elliott.
This is what I've been talking about though, the longer Elliot's out the more this talk is gonna escalate. I just don't want this kind of thing to have legs, by the time Elliot is ready to come back.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The kid doesn't believe in himself right now, since he had to relieve Elliot after injury he's had one good game. Every other start has been either okay/shaky/down right bad. What's the right thing to do here, keep playing him hoping he plays out of this and gets his swagger back. Or run more with Brodeur for 3 or 4 games, and let Jake try to regain his bearings while not under fire. Because the way he's playing now Marty might be the better option to win against better teams.

What do you guys think?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Alternate starts. He played OK for a game after getting pulled against the same team. Brodeur has the best chance of keeping a high level of play if he gets rest between starts. That's just how it is with is age, despite his career norms of playing a crazy work-load. Allen needs regular starts, too. Its a good situation. Either guy could take a bigger load if there starts to be a disparity in their performance.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
The kid doesn't believe in himself right now, since he had to relieve Elliot after injury he's had one good game. Every other start has been either okay/shaky/down right bad. What's the right thing to do here, keep playing him hoping he plays out of this and gets his swagger back. Or run more with Brodeur for 3 or 4 games, and let Jake try to regain his bearings while not under fire. Because the way he's playing now Marty might be the better option to win against better teams.

What do you guys think?

Right on target. Allen has a history of folding under pressure - see his World Juniors performance when he was pulled in Game 7. And last year in the AHL playoffs, 3.29 GA, .879 save pct.

He's showing nerves now - how's he going to hold up in a Stanley Cup run?

His value is highest now - make a trade, go with Elliott and Brodeur. Binnington will be ready next year.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not saying that I want to trade Allen. But I would feel more confident in Elliott/Brodeur. Binnington and Husso in the pipeline would probably let Army entertain offers.

Hopefully we see Jake rebound from the last few games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's still a rookie people. Remember after his Anaheim shutout, he was probably annointed the next Vezina winner after that game.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm not saying that I want to trade Allen. But I would feel more confident in Elliott/Brodeur. Binnington and Husso in the pipeline would probably let Army entertain offers.

Hopefully we see Jake rebound from the last few games.

Remember the last goalie we traded because we had Allen in the pipeline? Just because he's not taking the starting role this season doesn't make it a good idea to trade him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Remember the last goalie we traded because we had Allen in the pipeline? Just because he's not taking the starting role this season doesn't make it a good idea to trade him.

Dvo I need to bold the first sentence of what you quoted?

What I posted is purely "what ifs".

Edit: my ideal scenario is to make room on the roster for Brodeur to stay around for the playoffs.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Brodeur is 42 years old, the notion that we should even consider trading anyone because of him is pretty asinine if you ask me.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Allen had nothing to do with why Bishop was traded, that was because Bishop was headed to UFA and we had Elliott in the NHL.

I'm not saying that we should consider trading Allen, but execwrite does have a point that Allen doesn't have a reputation of mental strength. That's another reason we needed to go and get a veteran presence when Elliott went down.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
Allen needs time to grow. He will be fine. Armstrong didn't go out and get Brodeur because he didn't have faith in Allen, he did it because Binnington has never played a game in the NHL and if Allen goes hurt or tired, then what. Everyone calm down at step back from the ledge.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Allen needs time to grow. He will be fine. Armstrong didn't go out and get Brodeur because he didn't have faith in Allen, he did it because Binnington has never played a game in the NHL and if Allen goes hurt or tired, then what. Everyone calm down at step back from the ledge.

I was simply asking a question, wasn't anywhere near a ledge when I asked it :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad